• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

dmar836

There was the suggestion to create a cap thread for all the fragmented ones popping up.

I hope for this thread to be primarily for repro caps bought or created and the discussion of them. How about originals aspiring reproduction?

Here are some of mine:

A-3
IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

Before the stamp, courtesy of Dean, I could mix it up with the originals if not careful.

B-1 (in cotton twill)
IMG_7392.jpg

B-1 (Theater-made variant)

Dave
IMG_7393.jpg

deand

Excellent! Maybe the mods will combine the various threads into a tapestry here. Your work really shines ,Dave!

dean

dmar836

I was asked in a PM to list makers. Since I don't collect repros, I can't recommend makers for sure. I can compare them to originals and I think that's by far the best way to critique a repro. Can anyone help?

The B-1 from MASH.Japan looks pretty good but I think it's "overmarked" in order to look authentic. If anyone has a B-1 with the black/gold tag, please post a shot. I have yet to see one.

I know Diamond Dave was supplying superb Bancroft-style crushers to HPA but I don't know who supplies their other caps. Anyone? They always tend to look right but I have yet to hold one.

Dean sent me a Spearhead A-3(can be found on Ebay for $25). I cannot recommend this one as the stamp is wrong and the crown is way too shallow. As Dean warned me, "It just doesn't look right." It appears to be correctly assembled but I feel they must not have patterned it after a true A-3 or have gotten way off the pattern somewhere. It has a North Korean or Chairman Mao Chinese cap look to it IMO.

Here's the Spearhead:

IMG_7396.jpg

This may look fine to some but this cap is not touching the form at all except at the crown. Trust me, and Dean, it's way too shallow. Keep in mind, the A-3 in the first post is also too big for the form but once properly fitted in fills out well.

A while back someone suggested I sell mine. I said, "Why, when you can get them for $25-35 on Ebay?" Now I know why. ;)

If and/or when this thread gets rolling, I'd be happy to post some originals for comparison.

Dave

deand

Notice also how the Spearhead A-3 repro evidences the inner seam tape from the outside causing the strange extrusions at the seams, and the visor reinforced stitch lines are stitched so loosely, as compared to an original I once had, and how flimsy it felt, as if the inner lining stiffener was simply too weak.

dean

dmar836

Not perfect but done enough for a prototype. This is a replica of a Korean War era bombers cap that dean and I have collaborated on. It looks quite naked without all the felt embellishments but I did put my state of residence on the bill - KS. The inside of these was fairly unique. The band here is calf, I believe. I have some goat that might be better - both very soft and about the thickness of the B-1 caps of WWII. It fits perfectly and is much more comfortable than the B-1.
It's a bit rough, needs better finishing, and the bill material needs resizing but it's just a proto I won't wear.

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

Dave

deand

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! I practically have tears in my eyes! You're making my day! Great Job, Dave!

dean

Weasel_Loader

Great work fellas. I think your on to something great. Not as big a market as repro A-2s, but there is a market out there. Look forward to seeing more. ;)

deand

Very nice looking A-3! Would you suggest getting a 7 1/2 and shrinking it? I wear 7 3/8.

dean

ww2imp

deand said:
Very nice looking A-3! Would you suggest getting a 7 1/2 and shrinking it? I wear 7 3/8.

dean

Yes I would suggest you go up to a 7-1/2. Also, check our sale page. These hats are on sale.

ghq1

I like the look of this 2506 cap . . .. Very B-1 in nature and sure it's camo but still a great vintage design

camohatx.JPG

deand

Terrific cap, even in camo! That style is me favorite, I wish I knew if there was a name for it.

dean

ww2imp

deand said:
Terrific cap, even in camo! That style is me favorite, I wish I knew if there was a name for it.

dean

This item was the commercially available "Kamo" brand hunting cap. It was available in retail stores such as Sears during the 1950s and 60s. To my knowledge they are just known as camo hunter's cap.

deand

ww2imp said:
deand said:

dean

This item was the commercially available "Kamo" brand hunting cap. It was available in retail stores such as Sears during the 1950s and 60s. To my knowledge they are just known as camo hunter's cap.

Thanks, Juan. I didn't compose that posting very well. I meant to say the construction design of the cap, which I've seen and own in all kinds of material. Many different variations, some with one piece crowns, or two piece, or a cross piece along the front above the visor, or without, but all with that basic design, which for want of a better term I'm calling a "B-1" design. I've seen many different but similarly designed caps form the 40s through the 60s. Maybe it's called a 'hunter's cap' design for all I know.

dean

dmar836

Great A-3 Juan, and at $25 can't be beat!

Dean, the Kamo cap reminds me of the Polaroid cap with the flip down goggle lens. That front piece was common on fishing/hunting caps - maybe it was for attaching lures?

Along the Kamo brand topic, here's one I'd like to do as well despite the dubious subject. 1950's Che Guevara/Castro. It appears to have started as basically a Ridgeway cap.

_1295029395099.jpg

_1295029360765.jpg

Mind you, I'm not a Marxist!

Dave

dmar836

Theater-made flight cap mods:

Finally I can wear that A-10A O2 mask to work!

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_7418.jpg

Fresh steaming left the sweatband showing in back.

deand

Nice leather hunting cap/ L-2B Nylon jacket combo in this video at 15:57 and at 21:15:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbZWyKxLvZY&feature=relmfu[/video]

dean