• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

dmar836

Well here's Dean's project cap. It's a replica of a theater-made bomber crew cap from the Korean War. Outer of cotton twill. Inner is cotton and rayon. Band is calf.

First a little resizing. Missed it by a mile.
IMG_7420.jpg

Should be right at 7 3/8 now. Currently it's a clean slate - can't wait to see how he patches it up.
IMG_7424.jpg

A little worked over - call it battle wear!
IMG_7425.jpg

Interior lining same as mine. Linda likes that part the best saying, "Too bad that has to be on the inside."
IMG_7426-1.jpg

This is basically a mongrel of a B-1. The Japanese-made bomber caps were a bit different shape. I reshaped the crown a bit so it might be a little round. Maybe I'll hit it on the next go-around. It gets less frustrating with each cap.

I think Linda has put in an order for an M-1951 cap in her size.

Dave

deand

WOW! I can't imagine I'll rush into patching that beauty! You are a maestro of the needle, Dave!

dean

dmar836

Latest B-1

Creeping up on it. Got the color acceptable. Need to use sizing to give it some body but this particular wool gabardine weight is darn close IMO.

IMG_7495.jpg

Mine's in the middle on the next two pics. I was actually a bit too precise I think
IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

Left off all the markings as they can be a little gaudy in public.

I learn more with each one. I have discovered a trick or two from the originals I'll use on the next one.

Dave

deand

Re: The Comprehensive Cap Thread, Test Cap Progress

Dave sent me a test cap of his Korean War Era USAF bomber crew cap. I love the cap! Have added the "B" for bombardier using vintage 50's red felt, per an original. More patching to come as felt becomes available. This will go so great with several jackets in my meager collection. Hope others will post in this thread pictures of their repro or vintage headgear. I'm going to line up for a "DmarCapCo" B-1 in the not too distant future.

mmms2_picture.jpg

mmms4_picture.jpg

The Original:
20100923_1414.jpg

dean

dmar836

Ground school has kept me pretty busy but managed to refine the B-1 pattern templates today and print some labels. Sizes will be hand written as on the M4A2 helmet(it WAS done). I could print specific sizes but it's a bit more of a hassle until I know what the common sizes are.

Thanks to Dean for the name(DMAR CAP CO.) and JC for tips on improving my labels(whether he new it or not).

IMG_7537.jpg

Dave

dmar836

BTW, typo correction: "Whether he knew it or not." :roll:

Thanks, I'm slowly getting there. I want to do another dye test. I'm close but have a few more ideas.

Here's what I did before that last test cap to get to the color I used. The purples are actually brown shades. Maybe that's how the Dubow cuffs happened - initially appearing as brown but the dyed product ends up with purple tones?

IMG_7538.jpg

dmar836

Fun with Photoshop ................... Eastman-style.

This one (the lighter one in the photos) is about a size 7 3/8. I'm not perfectly content with the stitch length on the sweatband but even the originals have some areas with very narrow stitch length. Other than that I have to say I must be careful which cap I'm picking up.

Untitled-2.jpg

Dave

dmar836

Glad you posted this. It is ironic timing as I have just in the past two days started two more caps.

Until this one, I had my doubts if the MASH caps were at all correct with the embroidered tags. In fact, I thought I read somewhere that their rationale was that because the B-1 and B-2 were the only hats spec'd as "flying caps", they felt the B-1 should have the same style tag as the B-2. Perhaps that was just my interpretation. Debway certainly made them - perhaps they were the only maker to use the cloth labels?
I have to say this is THE first original B-1 I've seen with the cloth label but I have never owned a Debway.
Now, that said, I would feel slightly more comfortable spending a lot on a cheesecloth QM Depot - style tagged cap than one of these - only because I have little experience with them.

I'll watch it. Thanks!
Dave

bretron

Anyone into early (6 petal crown) watch caps other than me? My buzz USN watch cap has been a daily wearer since I got it last november. Well worth the price tag IMO (not my wife's tho :lol: )

Btw, Dave, I want one of your caps! Look great!!

dmar836

Pics? I'd like to see the Buzz cap.

I revised my pattern for the B-1 a bit. The comparison shots above do reveal a subtle incorrect shape I am struggling to fix. Altering patterns isn't as easy as one would think. Modifying one panel can significantly alter those around it as they compensate for the new shape. Also, the thing you think would help is often the opposite of what you needed to do. I am not happy with the new cap as I overdid the correction and ignored another area that needed correction. The front of the crown is now all wrong on the new one. It's all subtle but does matter. I do like the pigskin sweatband instead of kidskin.
Disassembling a minty original would be the best way to an end but destroying a $150 cap isn't worth it to me. Plus 70yrs of distortion would still be there in the panels.

I'll get it!

Dave