• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Ken at Aero Leather

You are forgetting the start up and stock costs costs not to mention the time spent answering emails.......just ask JC.
I've been filling in for Holly for 3 weeks while she's on holiday, I've no idea how she keeps up with daily flood of emails.
The only way to keep costs down these days is by volume, hence US Authentic prices and Aero trainees, they take the same amount of materials as grade 1s

Bombing IP

Us authentic is a one man show I thought and he is making $500 jackets .Plus how many emails would Dubow Greece get a week after all he has just started . Re JC yes you could ask him but he does not reply . Platon having made many jackets in the past in England and only making one makers Type A-2 simplifies things . The start up cost would be a sewing machine table light measuring instruments and a computer with email and a file with patterns and variables re the sizes . I just cannot see how companies are asking $1600 for a jacket ,its basically a shirt made out of leather .No back pleats ,inside pockets very uncomplicated and a good machinist can make one in 2 hours .

BIP

bseal

Vic,
How do the BK knits compare to the original A-2 in terms of thickness, weave, etc.?

Juanito

Vic,
How do the BK knits compare to the original A-2 in terms of thickness, weave, etc.?
FWIW, full disclosure in the I have never owned a Dubow original. That said, I have had others from Poughkeepsie (3), Spiewak (1), Perry (2), Knopf (1), Aero (2), Rough Wear (1), with the original knits.

The weave on my Platon Dubow is similar, the weight of the waistband is similar, the cuffs are only slightly thicker. The feel is very similar as is the weave of the ribbing. Overall, I would deem them excellent copies, but to have Silver Surfer comment on a direct Dubow to Dubow comparison, even though the contract is different, would be a better comparison.

Silver Surfer

lotsa questions, but first let me thank grant for getting those pix here, and thank youse guys for the kind compliments. my dubow measure appx 17 1/2"- 18" shoulder seam to shoulder seam, 21 3/4" pit to pit, 21 3/4"-21 7/8" back, 25" sleeves. some allowence for either pulling or not on the jacket for measuring. all of these measurements are consistent with my dubow original . about the collar lobe, firstly i would point out that even through out a contrat run of originals there are differences in side to side length, pointyness, hides used, etc. that said, the lobes on my jacket are at the proper angle, and length as measured against my originals. the knits appear to be those or very similar to those offered by larry. thus they are springy wool, and slightly thicker then those on originals. you will note that they appear on the longish side, but that is also how original dubow knits are. the color is a slightly purpleish brown. we can go on about minutia, like some hasidic rabbis discussing how many angels are on the head of a pin, but at some point ya come down to the, "do i like the jacket or not?". me likee. imh, platon did a splendid job on getting the look and feel of a war time third contract dubow. wtf??? is it with the lines going through the text????

Pilot

Pilot

The hotel is Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, a Mediterranean resort in the Alpes-Maritimes department of southeastern France, on the Côte d'Azur between Cannes and Nice.

Taking about Nice......................nice jacket
Surely not...
Just compare the color of the shutters...also the Ladies arround the French Riviera pools wear much nicer swimm suits :D..:)
https://capedenroc.grandluxuryhotel...MIsKK6xNul3gIVq7vtCh0lJgdwEAAYASAAEgLrbvD_BwE

Agree...nice jacket.

Last edited:

Pilot

What is the French word for 'joke'?.... :rolleyes: As far as Google Images 'French Riviera' search is concerned, and for the intent & purpose of the posted pic, I think it does quite nicely... ;)
The best translation would be = “une boutade platonique”, meaning a harmless inocent joke...:):):)

stanier

This thread is building so much anticipation it’s unreal! Like a blockbuster film building to a crescendo!

Like most here I dare say, I check the forum for new posts periodically and I see “Platon Dubow seal” has new post, so I think great, wow there must be pics now!

So I come here, doh! Noooo, no pics of a seal Dubow! Just some jacket meandering:confused:;)!

Lovely to see Silver Surfer’s pics of his lovely russet jacket which broke the tension for a moment, but then almost immediately heightened the anticipation!

When some lucky soul receives their seal jacket, please post pics ASAP!

Cheers!

Skyhawk

lotsa questions, but first let me thank grant for getting those pix here, and thank youse guys for the kind compliments. my dubow measure appx 17 1/2"- 18" shoulder seam to shoulder seam, 21 3/4" pit to pit, 21 3/4"-21 7/8" back, 25" sleeves. some allowence for either pulling or not on the jacket for measuring. all of these measurements are consistent with my dubow original . about the collar lobe, firstly i would point out that even through out a contrat run of originals there are differences in side to side length, pointyness, hides used, etc. that said, the lobes on my jacket are at the proper angle, and length as measured against my originals. the knits appear to be those or very similar to those offered by larry. thus they are springy wool, and slightly thicker then those on originals. you will note that they appear on the longish side, but that is also how original dubow knits are. the color is a slightly purpleish brown. we can go on about minutia, like some hasidic rabbis discussing how many angels are on the head of a pin, but at some point ya come down to the, "do i like the jacket or not?". me likee. imh, platon did a splendid job on getting the look and feel of a war time third contract dubow. wtf??? is it with the lines going through the text????

Are you feeding us a line a bull here or drawing a line in the sand? :)

Seriously though....

The jacket looks very nice and I love that Russet color. I am interested to see the fit.

Silver Surfer

fit? sure someday when there is someone here to take pix, and its not pouring rain [classic nor easter]. besides installing a wwll talon m-41 puller, i gave the jac a pass over with pecards brown goop. the brown has a hint of red in it, so the jacket is exactly what i want. not darker, per se, but just a slight reddish hue to it. best described by writing that the color is now the same the color in the pix.

Skyhawk

fit? sure someday when there is someone here to take pix, and its not pouring rain [classic nor easter]. besides installing a wwll talon m-41 puller, i gave the jac a pass over with pecards brown goop. the brown has a hint of red in it, so the jacket is exactly what i want. not darker, per se, but just a slight reddish hue to it. best described by writing that the color is now the same the color in the pix.

Cool it would be nice to see it worn. Are you saying that you conditioned the jacket with a Pecard and shoe polish or dye mix to darken it? What puller came on the jacket?

zoomer

What's happening in Surfer's post is called strikethru. I am not sure what keystrokes toggle it, but in BBcode, it is tagged s in square brackets.

Silver Surfer

the puller that came with it is a nice quality repro talon, as seen in the pix. no redye, no shoe polish, just a rub down with pecards brown leather conditioner. the diff is subtle, and the jacket is not noticeably darker....just a slightly reddish brown hue.

zoomer

Bombing IP said:
I just cannot see how companies are asking $1600 for a jacket ,its basically a dshirt made out of leather .No back pleats ,inside pockets very uncomplicated and a good machinist can make one in 2 hours .
God is in the details, and the devil’s there, too.

Also - an A-2 is actually very difficult to pattern and cut properly. Because of that extreme simplicity, and because with leather, stitch holes are forever.

Teddy

God is in the details, and the devil’s there, too.

Also - an A-2 is actually very difficult to pattern and cut properly. Because of that extreme simplicity, and because with leather, stitch holes are forever.
Agree. Therefore many newcomers make many A2s that look a bit off and an inexperienced eye could not find out just why they're off. They all have 2 pockets and a collar, but they look weird if you've seen enough A2s.

For experienced/talented machinists who have the right patterns and the experiences, 2-3 hours is achievable. But how many are out there? Most committed people might take it slower to make everything right.

Teddy

Very nice Dubow repro indeed, maybe not quite sharp enough collar points/ends IMHO but that's me being picky, nonetheless as I say very nice, enjoy!
I think you're definitely right that the collar points could be sharper to match the originals (such as the one Vic displayed along Platon's Dubow). Platon's collars look exactly the same like the one in antique leather displayed on Bill Kelso's website. Maybe not 100.00% faithful to the original but definitely 100.00% to Bill Kelso's pattern.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

if i can ever figure out how to post pix again, i will post some of original collars. reason? to show that even on the same jacket, the lobes on some of them are different, not to mention that you will find all kindsa variations within the same contract. if i am not mistaken, the collars were made inside out, and turned right side out for installation. think about it for a moment, and you will understand why collar ends have so many variations. an experienced machinist will get it right if not in a rush, but a newbie will have a helova time until they get the hang of it. and....you find different heights from one side of the collar to the other on some originals. i have learned to accept these, and other oddities on originals, thus it has calmed me down about "not %100 correct" repros. as written previously, either i like the jacket or i dont. and a large amount of that is predicated on the over all look, and feel, and some credible fidelity to the original contract details.