• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Pilot

Guess members from US can give a better answer than me...mine should be delivered to France, so no customs and I guess it will only take a week or so..at least my Bill Kelso travelled that long.

bubbahavens

Ok I was at first going to purchase a cockpit USA jacket and stumbled upon Platons website. Glad I did from what all I’ve read he produces some really nice examples. I am second guessing the size 42 that I ordered. Is a 42 considered a large or a medium in a jacket? Thanks

Pilot

Ok I was at first going to purchase a cockpit USA jacket and stumbled upon Platons website. Glad I did from what all I’ve read he produces some really nice examples. I am second guessing the size 42 that I ordered. Is a 42 considered a large or a medium in a jacket? Thanks
IMHO Mdedium.

bubbahavens

Ok I expect then a 44 will probably be a better fit. I sent him my measurements again in a separate email asking his opinion. He said he’d get back with me.

Juanito

Hotel Bathroom night scans out of Saigon ... picturing an a 2 two months old 63 hours flight time ( officially looged:):):)) GW RW A-2 27752... just puting it over my shoulders up and down... Tropical rain.. 45 deg C prior the vietsun taxi and and hotel 18 deg C hotel lobby...day by day... No cream no whatever oiling... just wearing... still no creases... never ever had with top top notch jackets or WW2 A-2’s
I personally find this fascinating. Considering that most, if not all WWII A-2s would have been chrome tanned and pigment finished, and that virtually all "high end" repros are veg tanned and either aniline or semi-aniline finished, the leather would share no similarity aside from thickness as construction would not have any impact on this. Hmmm, maybe my 1980s Avirex Horsehide MacArthur jacket is a more accurate representation of a WWII jacket than the higher end repro today?

jeremiah

Chrome tanned leather creases just as well as veg tanned. One look through the pics in Eastmans book will show this. I think there is confusion on what a crease is and what it isn’t.

Juanito

Chrome tanned leather creases just as well as veg tanned. One look through the pics in Eastmans book will show this. I think there is confusion on what a crease is and what it isn’t?
I am all ears, what is a crease, and what isn't; and more relevantly, what doesn't make a WWII jacket and "high end" jacket crease, but does cause a lower end jacket to do so?

Can someone tell me if the line in the sleeves and colar of my Rough Wear are creases or not? Or is this just considered grain? https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-wear-a-2-shell-approximate-size-42-44.20725/

jeremiah

yes,
those lines going horizontal on the sleeves are creases. a crease is simply that, a place where leather is repeatedly stretched, moved and bunched up. Nothing wrong as thats what leather does. Creases in leather are not a negative attribute. I don't get why this is even a point of contention. Again, I would look at all the pics in the Eastman A2 book if you have one.
here is a pic of a recent A2 (aero) by Greg. Note the creases near armpit and shoulder area.
The area along the chest is not creasing nor is it grain. It is wrinkles from the animal hide. Some will confuse grain and wrinkles.
Note the difference in depth between the lateral lines on arm and ones on chest. That’s creasing.

My BK victory hide arco has far less noticeable creasing compared to my ELC or my BK dubow. So to say that GW doesn’t have creasing compared to a Bk is just not wise. Nor is saying WWII originals don’t have creasing. I just showed one out of many examples. I can shoot a video to show what I mean tomorrow.

Some creasing is set in and some soft creasing. Depends how wet you got the jacket. Anyway. Point is that veg tanned Leather will crease up more with being exposed to water. It’s why you can wet mold veg tanned leather and not chrome tanned leather.
425C9105-F87A-4377-8BB4-1C5A48CC03D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Juanito

yes,
those lines going horizontal on the sleeves are creases. a crease is simply that, a place where leather is repeatedly stretched, moved and bunched up. Nothing wrong as thats what leather does. Creases in leather are not a negative attribute. I don't get why this is even a point of contention. Again, I would look at all the pics in the Eastman A2 book if you have one.
here is a pic of a recent A2 (aero) by Greg. Note the creases near armpit and shoulder area.
The area along the chest is not creasing nor is it grain. It is wrinkles from the animal hide. Some will confuse grain and wrinkles.
Note the difference in depth between the lateral lines on arm and ones on chest. That’s creasing.

My BK victory hide arco has far less noticeable creasing compared to my ELC or my BK dubow. So to say that GW doesn’t have creasing compared to a Bk is just not wise. Nor is saying WWII originals don’t have creasing. I just showed one out of many examples. I can shoot a video to show what I mean tomorrow.

Some creasing is set in and some soft creasing. Depends how wet you got the jacket. Anyway. Point is that veg tanned Leather will crease up more with being exposed to water. It’s why you can wet mold veg tanned leather and not chrome tanned leather.
View attachment 11825
Beautiful jacket!

Pilot

Horizontal unreal arms creasing...Vertical torso creasing...not wearing..

08D136F0-5497-4A5D-8AE5-A41EE9D94813.jpeg
I am all ears, what is a crease, and what isn't; and more relevantly, what doesn't make a WWII jacket and "high end" jacket crease, but does cause a lower end jacket to do so?

Can someone tell me if the line in the sleeves and colar of my Rough Wear are creases or not? Or is this just considered grain? https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-wear-a-2-shell-approximate-size-42-44.20725/
Thanks for sharing...IMHO they wear but not crease...
On the hanger is an A-2 with what I call crease ( again a BK RW 27752)...

B-Man2

Not getting into the middle of the creasing discussion however, just wanted to say that’s a sweet Bronco Bryce.

Greg Gale

@Pilot , those creases (wrinkles?) on the sleeves look exactly like most originals. About the vertical drape on the torso, isn't that because of the way it was hung and stored?

I'm also wondering if creases - as in, sharp, thin ones as seen on that 487th jacket - are due to the way these jackets were stored, perhaps pressed underneath some other jackets for 70+ years?

ad2299787eadebb0ee8a3460fcd25ba9.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

@Pilot , those creases (wrinkles?) on the sleeves look exactly like most originals. About the vertical drape on the torso, isn't that because of the way it was hung and stored?

I'm also wondering if creases - as in, sharp, thin ones as seen on that 487th jacket - are due to the way these jackets were stored, perhaps pressed underneath some other jackets for 70+ years?

ad2299787eadebb0ee8a3460fcd25ba9.jpg
Hi Greg, thx.
If I wear my GW or ELC or AERO, I have the same wrinkles like on am photo....
If all these jackets are unstressed flat of the floor...they the wrinkles or creases are all gone....exept on the shown BK.
I have the Eastman reference book...did not find any jacket yet with horizontal arms crease or wrinkles like the BK.
If anyone finds one...please kindly send the page N#.

Greg Gale

My ELC Star has them even when I lay it on the floor, of course to a lesser extent. I can't imagine these just magically disappear on a heavily used jacket, but maybe I'm wrong.

Members online

Latest posts