• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Pilot

Kinda think creases (or whatever we call them) on the sleeves have something to do with how trim the sleeve is and how big the arm is. A snug jacket sleeve always creases/wrinkles more.
Was exactly the oposite...The BK had non tapered arms and very wide, it wrinkles a lot and the wrinkles stay or remain...
The GW and the Aero have quite narrow tapered arms...no wrinkles at all, as seen on the photos....
IMHO its the leather used, the tanning and the cut/profile of the sleeve/arm.

Last edited:

tibor

Was exactly the oposite...The BK had non tapered arms and very wide, it wrinkles a lot and the wrinkles stay or remain...
The GW and the Aero have quite narrow tapered arms...no wrinkles at all, as seen on the photos....
IMHO its the leather used, the tanning and the cut/profile of the sleeve/arm.

...well, right, all things being otherwise equal, tight sleeves wrinkle more. The different leathers will definitely have more impact.

jeremiah

Different leathers will tend to react differently as to where and how quickly creases and wrinkles form.

I use both veg tanned and bridle leather for belts. Both are around $200-250 a side. So they are both from good and well known tanneries.
Just a matter of preference after that. My one bridal belt I made and wore myself developed almost no creasing after almost 2 years wearing.
I don’t use that leather much anymore. A well used belt should look well used and still hold up to what it was made to do years later. I now use that leather for my belts. But both are of the highest quality you can buy.

I also own two pair of Alden’s. One from CXL leather and one from veg tanned cow or calf.
The CXL has developed more hard creasing where as the veg tanned less so but still the normal folds where the boot flexes with movement.
Obviously both leathers are Horween and you know it’s tanned right.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Different leathers will tend to react differently as to where and how quickly creases and wrinkles form.

I use both veg tanned and bridle leather for belts. Both are around $200-250 a side. So they are both from good and well known tanneries.
Just a matter of preference after that. My one bridal belt I made and wore myself developed almost no creasing after almost 2 years wearing.
I don’t use that leather much anymore. A well used belt should look well used and still hold up to what it was made to do years later. I now use that leather for my belts. But both are of the highest quality you can buy.

I also own two pair of Alden’s. One from CXL leather and one from veg tanned cow or calf.
The CXL has developed more hard creasing where as the veg tanned less so but still the normal folds where the boot flexes with movement.
Obviously both leathers are Horween and you know it’s tanned right.

Very well said, it's hard to explain just a tiny bit better. Respect Jeremiah!
My several cents about that:
1. Dubow Mfg jackets discussed above look very nice and very appealing, to my taste these Dubows are tempting considering its leather and everything else. No doubts.
I have some questions about their proportions though, esp. about the length of its body (esp. on their big sizes 44/46), but - those examples of "creases" on both @Micawber's jackets are absolutely gorgeous both.
I mean his Dubow Mfg' and GW Star Sportswear' creases showed above - to my taste both examples of sleeves creases look just fantastic, fabulous, gorgeous!
2. Originals... of course they had/have those "creases" too, but the degree/level of their creases may vary/varied significantly... I suppose it might depend on several things - such as type/kind of its leather (Jeremiah, thanks a lot again for your very well said description of that point!) and on the grade of those originals' wear/condition... So, it depends... that's why creases (incl. sleeves' creases) on WWII originals vary from hardly noticeable to quite noticeable on those tons of photos in the net...
3. I suppose that with a lot of continuing hard wearings those "creases" might start looking less noticeable on the showed above @Micawber's Dubow, I mean just look at fabulous Nick's (@D97x7) BK Dubow - it's hard to be more "original WWII looking" to any top-notch repro A-2...
I think it's hardly possible to choose even what A-2 from what maker looks "the-only-best-0f all" not to mention choosing what exact hi-end repros' maker is "the-only-best" vs another top-notch ones - that's going to be senseless pointless discussion then, isn't it?

Last edited:

Whatsit

I think it’s safe to say Platon does not do special jackets. Just chest sizes. So no long or shorts.

bubbahavens

Yes I haven’t asked him yet but f he’d do a 44 short. My chest is 41. Around shoulders is 49. Waist is 40-41 Height is 5’7”. Weight 179. Should it be a 42 or 44? Opinions please??

Whatsit

When you go to his website he will give you instructions on measurements and then will tell you after you pay what he’d recommend. I wouldn’t go by anything other then your own measurements as you will have to live with this jacket not us.

EmergencyIan

My WW2 original Bronco, with wear but no crease...

View attachment 11827

On another note, my GW Bronco’s horsehide looked very similar to the leather on your original. Mine looked much newer, of course. But I see the similarities. I only mention this because both the original and the GW repro have hide and finish that looks specific to them, to me eyes. Maybe it’s coincidental.

- Ian

Pilot

Pilot if Platon will not make me a 44 short then should I go with 42 or 44 reg? Thanks for advice
Would go for a 44” Reg. you can always shrink ( HWT) or make the sleeves shorter at a tailer shop...but in no case you can make it larger if too small...IMHO.

Pilot

On another note, my GW Bronco’s horsehide looked very similar to the leather on your original. Mine looked much newer, of course. But I see the similarities. I only mention this because both the original and the GW repro have hide and finish that looks specific to them, to me eyes. Maybe it’s coincidental.

- Ian
Thx, yes they have...hence they look like WW2 originals very fast...

Pilot

Size N# in the label.

2A742144-0637-441C-B432-F30324C4F561.jpeg
Since my ELC A-2 book is not with me right now, I have a question...On the Dubow A-2 Contract 27798 is the size number in the label like for GW, Platoon’s jackets, or is it attached like for LW?
What is correct if compared to the WW2 contract? inside I guess, or both depending on the year or batch...?

Last edited:

B-Man2

View attachment 11880 Since my ELC A-2 book is not with me right now, I have a question...On the Dubow A-2 Contract 27798 is the size number in the label like for GW, Platoon’s jackets, or is it attached like for LW?
What is correct if compared to the WW2 contract? inside I guess, or both depending on the year or batch...?
Bryce
The sizes were inside the label unlike the Lost World size labels.