• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New M-422 is finally here

A

Anonymous

I understand the 'worn' concern, but this is 42 and I wear 40
so it will be bulky on me.

This is a 1:1 copy of the taken apart original, so worn should look 100% like the original as worn.

Roughwear

Your W&G M422 jacket is extremely impressive Platon. I too like the shade of the mouton which provides a nice contrast with the dark seal goatskin.

Andrew

It'll be interesting to see the pricing (less than a decent original hopefully) and get a better idea of the look in better light. It might just be a favourable alternative to finding the real deal which now 60 yrs down the track has it's obvious drawbacks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,
This mouton color is my personal favorite too.
To answer to m444uk about the dark brown mouton,
we could have whatever mouton color, yellow, green, red, anything you like.
The problem is that to be able to have such options means have to pay more e.g. to make dark brown moutons, so consequently the price of the jacket can only increase.

Due to an accident we had to buy 3 different color knits for the navy jackets so now have russet brown, brown and dark brown. (Have not taken delivery of the brown yet).

Also, about the color of the jacket. I call this "dark chocolate" and we did it like this because all the high end repro makers have this color. And this is a high end repro you are looking at.
But the color of the originals I own are a lighter brown more like "milk chocolate". So we examine the possibility to offer a "milk chocolate" leather color for later, i.e. when can afford it.

Dr H

PLATON said:
Due to an accident we had to buy 3 different color knits for the navy jackets so now have russet brown, brown and dark brown. (Have not taken delivery of the brown yet).

You're going to regret not getting blue/green...there'll be a run on them...mark my words... ;)

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I know
that's why we are getting ready from now
the next jacket we 're making gonna look like this

$(KGrHqQOKjYE2Mpb2fWNBNnMUEF3gw~~_3.JPG

with red aero knits
huge!!

m444uk

Unless you start with the correct shade of mouton you will never get the desired top down fade to golden. It's easily done, leave the jacket out in the sun during the Summer

very little fading
KGrHqFHJDME63ZMTz2pBO5yHlscw60_3.jpg

moderate fading
Picture172.jpg

A

Anonymous

Seriously now, we can easily make blue/green knits, but don't have where to use them.
They would go to USAF's nylon jackets and the cotton jackets like B-10, B-15, N-1 etc right?
Would love to, but we don't make those, and honestly can't make them.

So what's the use?

Dr H

It's okay Platon hold the purchase, I was referring flippantly to the recent post '55J14 banged out today :)'...

;)

Otter

PLATON said:
Yeah, I know
that's why we are getting ready from now
the next jacket we 're making gonna look like this

$(KGrHqQOKjYE2Mpb2fWNBNnMUEF3gw~~_3.JPG

with red aero knits
huge!!

Nice, but needs a contrasting thread maybe lime green? :lol: :roll:

ButteMT61

If the price is right, I'm in. I love the mouton. I don't have enough years to wait for it to go naturally and I don't care if it's "correct". I bet we could get 1000 pics from WWII and if they were in color, or even good B&W, they show variations just like everything else we've picked apart over the years.
Don't worry about deviating from your basic design, at least not yet. But yeah, green knits would look killer! :)

A

Anonymous

Yeah the 'correct' color has always been an issue.
I have 10 M-65 Olive Drab jackets, they are all different color

Of course, same applies to all military clothing and equipment
khakirant_gmbags.jpg

ATF site has a funny and informative page about "What is Khaki" here:
http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/whatiskhaki.html

I bet same thing applied to leathers (including moutons).
It would be simply impossible for the wwii jacket makers to make the same color leathers.
It's not even possible today, with today's technologies.

ButteMT61

Yeah, I have some WWII duffles and all are different colors. I call BS on "the right color" thing. ;)
And lots of WWII Soviet gear which also runs the gamut. It was a war fellas, not a show for Ralph Lauren!

Rutger

ButteMT61 said:
... it was a war, not a show for Ralph Lauren!

But it sure was for Hugo Boss. Long and deadly catwalk (nowadays also called runway, which is an affront in my humble opinion) though.

m444uk

PLATON said:
Yeah the 'correct' color has always been an issue.
I have 10 M-65 Olive Drab jackets, they are all different color

Of course, same applies to all military clothing and equipment

ATF site has a funny and informative page about "What is Khaki" here:
http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/whatiskhaki.html

I bet same thing applied to leathers (including moutons).
It would be simply impossible for the wwii jacket makers to make the same color leathers.
It's not even possible today, with today's technologies.

I don't think you need to be Sherlock Holmes to realize m422a mouton ,when issued, was in shades of brown IE.chestnut, medium and dark. Anything else is fantasy !

(jacket on left is a M444)
Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-3-1.jpg

mounton.jpg

So, what evidence do you have that USN jackets where issued with dark blonde mouton ? ?

A

Anonymous

Nobody doubts what color was the mouton on a newly issued jacket.

We chose to copy this look

p1060893moji.jpg

We may have other options too. We are totally driven by popular demand.