• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero (limited) "Quatermaster" A-2 Run

Roughwear

Alan. You make valid comments in your lengthy post and you have captured the essence of Aero very well indeed. They make great civi jackets, but their military jackets are not in the premier league in terms of authenticity.

omarco

There is no way in hell that this place has a positive bias toward ELC! The fedora lounge is ridiculous in its Aero worshipping, really they have that place totally sewn up even with the latest raft of troubles. Amazing.

Persimmon sums it pretty nice.

Roughwear

omarco said:
There is no way in hell that this place has a positive bias toward ELC! The fedora lounge is ridiculous in its Aero worshipping, really they have that place totally sewn up even with the latest raft of troubles. Amazing.

Persimmon sums it pretty nice.

I agree 100% with this. TFL is so dominated by Aero fans that it frequently becomes tedious and repetitive.

Jeff M

Otter said:
Yeah, I thought this was the Goodwear Chorus as well! :mrgreen:

Looks like we have the pro "Goodwear chorus", the anti ELC "Gang of Three" (name given some time back in another thread)(BTW Butte....I thought you were in that cabal?).
Now we need to come up with a name for Aero. Depending on which side of the fence you are on....the "Aero agnostics" vs the "Aero acolytes"?

ButteMT61

Jeff M said:
Otter said:

Looks like we have the pro "Goodwear chorus", the anti ELC "Gang of Three" (name given some time back in another thread)(BTW Butte....I thought you were in that cabal?).
Now we need to come up with a name for Aero. Depending on which side of the fence you are on....the "Aero agnostics" vs the "Aero acolytes"?

Oh Jeff, this thread gets better with every post!

I'm torn tough, I love GW APand Aero, and I'm not a fan of ELC. WHAT DO I DO?

He about Aero-Nots.

As to Aero fans being labeled as "repetitive", that is delish.
What's repetitive is posting anything Aero here, only to have the stitch-nazees come in and startup. What I posted was as much a test of that as it was to put a budget item out there for those without the cash or patience for a GW, etc. to check into.
I think most folks now hate brands simply because of posts here and TFL. Guys here state "I don't go to TFL because of the Aero worshiping." People don't come here because of the Aero bashing. People don't post here because of the elitist methods of some. People are somehow intimidated to post anything against the forum experts for fear of retaliation. Well, I voted and appointed myself the obnoxious guy to do it by proxy. Based on emails and PM's, there's quite a few out there. Surely, there's as many or more that do the same decrying me as satan or worse. That's OK, because I know what side of the fence I'd rather fall on. But look, the bright side is that there is some lively activity in here until GW screws up a jacket one day or Aero decide to do a decent contract A-2. Maybe Mustang steer will debut on the ELC site? Have fun. I am.

Jeff M

ButteMT61 said:
Jeff M said:
Otter said:

....... Aero-Nots.....

The perfect name!
Just to declare myself...I love my Aero civilian jackets.
I have one of their M 422's sans Mouton collar...great jacket.
One of their A2's.....it's OK, but if I had it to do over again I'd spend the money on a used GW. At least I'd save on paying the "non VAT" VAT. !! :eek: :lol:

Steve H

Jeff M said:
Otter said:

You forgot RMNZ- thats it, I'm resigning. :lol:

BTW I posted yesterday thinking this thread might be a sleeper- I log on this morning and 2 more pages later and holy cow! There are some nerves touched here!

Gold! :shock:

ButteMT61

I've not posted in TFL/Outerwear in ages.
The posts there on weighing jackets; hating a jacket they loved before they suspected it was steer, not FQHH; Insurrection hijacking of every thread - all are out of control. Watching from the outside for a while really made me hate jackets. In fact, I got rid of all but three. I considered dumping the rest too, but came to my senses.
You have to commend Aero - specifically Holly - for diving in and trying to fix all the mess from the latest debacle. So I think there's blind loyalty there? Absolutely. In contrast, there's some that are 180° and take digs at every turn - even guys who don't own one. Forums by nature are repetitious as new folks enter the fray. Old timers eventually have seen and heard it all, and get snippy or impatient or both. Natural and every forum I've been part of over the years has gone that way.

Jeff M

ButteMT61 said:
...... Insurrection hijacking of every thread - all are out of control. ....

Yep. I've noticed that myself.
I used to belong to a forum dedicated to Acoustic Guitars.
Was one of the very early members.....before it ballooned into a membership in the tens of thousands (luckily only a small % active posters).
After a few years I got tired of the endlessly repeating arguments over and repetitive questions about guitar brands, wood preferences, strings,
I eventually drifted away. Wan't a conscious decision...just found myself not visiting any more.

Discovered a new hobby immune from infighting/brand preferences/shills/same questions over and over.
Leather jackets!! :lol:

Rutger

The Alexander thread on FL is really blowing off steam big time.
Wow, people are touchy these days. Could that be the lack of proper day light? Seems like northern hemisphere people are not quite as relaxed as those from the southern half; they're pretty relaxed about it.

Makes for great entertainment though.

I wear a Buzz almost every day, could someone please offend me with some blunt remarks?
No wait, last week I bought a RealMcCoy RealMcQueen MA-1 (really, I did!), go for it!

Steve H

Jeff M said:
ButteMT61 said:
...... Insurrection hijacking of every thread - all are out of control. ....

After a few years I got tired of the endlessly repeating arguments over and repetitive questions about guitar brands, wood preferences, strings,
I eventually drifted away. Wan't a conscious decision...just found myself not visiting any more.

Discovered a new hobby immune from infighting/brand preferences/shills/same questions over and over.
Leather jackets!! :lol:

This is forums imitating real life though- how many actual face to face conversations about religion or why someone did something or whatever have been conducted over and over throughout the ages repetitively? Yes, I agree it gets tedious if you have read on a forum the same argument time and time again but thats just life. If this happens in real life conversation I just zone out or change the conversation. Simple really.
So theoretically, the thing to do on a forum is not read the thread any more but human beings just LOVE to slow down and look at a train or auto wreck even though it disgusts or scares them! Same thing with these threads- many of the participants on this thread will say they have been through this subject (Aero, blah blah blah) time and time again- why not just leave it to the newer members who may NOT have had this discussion slug it out? Because its a train wreck!

Butte himself says he sold jackets because of others posts on a forum. Now that is social media at its best/worst!

Otter

ButteMT61 said:
The posts there on weighing jackets; hating a jacket they loved before they suspected it was steer, not FQHH; Insurrection hijacking of every thread - all are out of control. Watching from the outside for a while really made me hate jackets. In fact, I got rid of all but three. I considered dumping the rest too, but came to my senses.
You have to commend Aero - specifically Holly - for diving in and trying to fix all the mess from the latest debacle. So I think there's blind loyalty there? Absolutely. In contrast, there's some that are 180° and take digs at every turn - even guys who don't own one. Forums by nature are repetitious as new folks enter the fray. Old timers eventually have seen and heard it all, and get snippy or impatient or both. Natural and every forum I've been part of over the years has gone that way.

I wondered why you weren't posting over there; I gave up after the mangling Soren got from one of the Barkeeps.

ButteMT61

Otter said:
ButteMT61 said:

I wondered why you weren't posting over there; I gave up after the mangling Soren got from one of the Barkeeps.

Really, it started out kinda funny, now it's all I can do to not go back and post.
I got an RRL B-10 "styled" jacket from a forum member. Didn't pay much, but I love the jacket and have been wearing it for the last few days. I'd NEVER, EVER post that up here. Am I "afraid"? Hell no. But why would I knowing what would follow? I wouldn't.
I had two grandfathers - both hardworking men - one wealthy (self made) one not. I know one thing, neither one wold have spent this kind of money on a jacket. The one without money would have come in here with a second-hand jacket as proud as a new papa with his newborn son.
He'd not get many replies, and over time, he'd notice that folks much care for is old jacket as its not quite up to the "standards" of the regulars. He'd never have been embarrassed, per se, but he'd figure he's not going to fit in. Bummer isn't it? I love great jackets as much as the next guy, but I s'pose the fun goes away when you hear that people - some who have a pretty respectable past in this realm - say they didn't like the way folks were treated.
I don't find that funny or entertaining, or desirable. Simple. So, in lieu of packing up (sorry), I'll just play the game.

Dr H

Jeff M said:
Otter said:

Aero Antagonists for me... ;)

Equally bored with the Aero worship on the FL.
Tempted to make my next post my GW A-1 and label it an Aero to see the plaudits flood in...

SuinBruin

The pro-Aero slant at the hat place (RIP deeb) doesn't bother me too much -- it's pretty clear after awhile if you read it with any degree of objectivity. Though I will admit that posters claiming that GW A-2s from Red Tails were Aeros did bug me a bit.

The real problem with TFL is the moderating. It's heavy handed and done with obvious favoritism towards Aero. Why it is that way I don't know, but I much prefer the lighter touch here. Posters on VLJ have their preferences and favorites (and some even have agendas, it's true), but with a free give and take it becomes pretty clear after awhile who's got an axe to grind and who's just enjoying a bit of give and take.

Vcruiser

Well..I'll throw in my 2 cents since this thread has dipped into many areas beyond Aero's new offer.
Here you have your predominatly authentic 'Flight Jacket' /repro forum dispite the VLJ name. Most don't give a wit about what some would call repro civi utility 1920-30-40-50 leather jackets.
The FL consists of the so called 'golden age' of hats and dress along with some WW2 military wear and civi repro jacket makers & more. However some here have distain for the FL mainly because they can't seem to make it more like the VLJ. Others don't like the FL rules. Fortunately..it's not mandatory that any VLJ members join or post there...believe it or not!
Some 'military' jacket experts here also 'tire' of hearing about utilitiy jackets..especially Aero(at that other place). They can't seem to differentiate(or care to) between an A2 and a utility repro concerning brand names or discussion of leather 'jackets'. The A2..Irvin,etc. is their ultimate jacket branded in their soul...and whomever makes the ones looking the most real and realer.
Did you ever imagine that some join here seeing the name 'Vintage Leather Jackets' that may be interested in just that...but then tire of what they may soon consider a monotonous drama of only/mainly military 'flight jackets' and the forum wars of long threads that goes with it. They may then not post or visit much..cause it ain't gonna change,either.
If you don't want to read about repro civi jackets...and the fans..then just don't. There are several premium makers..and Aero has it's own unique presence among them. For many they are just hard to beat..'if repro civi utility kind of jackets are your main thang'.
If pinpoint thread counting accuracy just isn't always the main concern..then an Aero A2 can offer a well made nice hide interpretation. Budget models..maybe not so much. Of course this applies to very few desires here.
Concerning the FL Forum...look at it this way...if you don't like it...and it just won't become more VLJ like..or as you want it...no need to have hurt feelings..mad...or even take it personal. It really isn't a sister forum..although some are members at both places. Some post here more often or visa versa. An FL member can surely feel surrounded with disdain here on the VLJ. Especially Aero utility jacket Fans..which I plead guilty to. Doesn't matter to me. However the VLJ ain't quite heaven..not everyone is an angel..and no one is God..even if he thinks he is and neither forum demands that you participate.
VB

Vcruiser

SuinBruin said:
The pro-Aero slant at the hat place (RIP deeb) doesn't bother me too much -- it's pretty clear after awhile if you read it with any degree of objectivity. Though I will admit that posters claiming that GW A-2s from Red Tails were Aeros did bug me a bit.

Don't you mean that GW A-2s(from RedTails)were ELCs..or did I miss something?

SuinBruin

Vcruiser said:
SuinBruin said:

A few posts in this thread starting on this page.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ight-Jackets&p=1536270&viewfull=1#post1536270

Vcruiser

SuinBruin said:
Vcruiser said:
SuinBruin said:

A few posts in this thread starting on this page.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ight-Jackets&p=1536270&viewfull=1#post1536270[/quote

Don't remember reading that..or overlooked it since it
looks like it's corrected on the next page.
Keep in mind that many FL posters aren't A2 savy..or really concerned about who really made what for another war movie.