• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero (limited) "Quatermaster" A-2 Run

tater

ButteMT61 said:
Like Van pointed out earlier, it's "Vintage Leather Jackets".
I think that if you have the need to point out the imperfect zipper, snap or label, you may be a little tightly wound.
Des anyone here buy a Quartermaster thinking it's a stich for stich rep? Of course not. So why bother? Nobody is going to replicate what JC does @ GW for less than 1/2 the price. So is there a need to focus on that? I'm asking its all sincerity. Seems like some just want/need to be tools.

Out in the real world, you're unlikely to actually run into anyone who would have the experience to know that anything was off. Here, OTOH, you'd expect a blow by blow of everything that was off. Go to j-aircraft and look at the threads about what color Zeros were actually painted. Pour a large drink, or put a pot of coffee on ;) Meanwhile, and less nerdy viewer of one of their plane models (or animation/game/etc) will just think "wow, that looks awesome!" About what you'd expect from a post here, a new jacket claiming to be a certain contract is going to be looked at under a microscope here. It's a reason to read stuff here, I get to learn a little.

Putting a real contract number on a jacket is in fact asking for comparison to the real thing, as well as competitor's products with the same contract number.

A cost-benefit analysis on if you get your money's worth for ~$625 vs better replicas for $875 or more is perhaps a worthwhile. The key, IMHO, is the overall look of the product, which goes to the pattern, colors, and stitching details.

ButteMT61

tater said:
ButteMT61 said:
Like Van pointed out earlier, it's "Vintage Leather Jackets".
I think that if you have the need to point out the imperfect zipper, snap or label, you may be a little tightly wound.
Des anyone here buy a Quartermaster thinking it's a stich for stich rep? Of course not. So why bother? Nobody is going to replicate what JC does @ GW for less than 1/2 the price. So is there a need to focus on that? I'm asking its all sincerity. Seems like some just want/need to be tools.
"

Out in the real world, you're unlikely to actually run into anyone who would have the experience to know that anything was off. Here, OTOH, you'd expect a blow by blow of everything that was off. Go to j-aircraft and look at the threads about what color Zeros were actually painted. Pour a large drink, or put a pot of coffee on ;) Meanwhile, and less nerdy viewer of one of their plane models (or animation/game/etc) will just think "wow, that looks awesome!" About what you'd expect from a post here, a new jacket claiming to be a certain contract is going to be looked at under a microscope here. It's a reason to read stuff here, I get to learn a little.

Putting a real contract number on a jacket is in fact asking for comparison to the real thing, as well as competitor's products with the same contract number.

A cost-benefit analysis on if you get your money's worth for ~$625 vs better replicas for $875 or more is perhaps a worthwhile. The key, IMHO, is the overall look of the product, which goes to the pattern, colors, and stitching details.

All good and valid points. Again, what I don't like is the condescending methods of some. Compare. Point out why a jacket isn't accurate. But some here dismiss in total a good jacket because its not perfect. OTOH, some of the same guys whine that the hat place is all Aero worshiping. You can't have it both ways fellas. Like was pointed out over there today, all VLJ is "get a Good Wear". So they feel the same about GW as some here do about Aero. I think folks ought to stop hating a brand and their owners a little more. I like learning. It's awesome to now go to a flea market and have a clue about jackets. Barely a clue compared to some here, but a clue. I can hold conversations with other jacket guys. I like that.
Smart guys don't red to condescend. Their knowledge speaks volumes. It's also useless to me when it's delivered with an attitude.

Vcruiser

Some experts enjoy most an upper crust status when they can get others to buy into it..and are oblivious to any condescending behavior on their part or silly criticism by others..unless it multiplies.

tater

What I find amazing is that $625 is a "cheap" jacket, and supposed to be immune from critique, though. I could afford my GW, for example, but I still thought of that as a lot of money for a jacket, and spent more time thinking about it than I did buying my land rover, lol. I think I'd have been nearly as picky at half the price.

I realize that's a real issue for the guys making them, that collectors will see them as what they are, very reasonable given the amount of work. The trouble I think is that the quality (both workmanship and historical detail) starts to flatten out at a certain price, and you pay more and more for each few % of accuracy. :)

You get a 75%-80% jacket for 600, a 90-95% one for 800, and to get near 99% you pay closer to a grand. (numbers out of thin air, but you get the idea :) )

A

Anonymous

Let's not label people.

This is a forum for jacket discussion. We 'd like to hear the pros and cons of any jacket.
"It looks great on you" is not enough.

Some people take the time to give their opinion for the sake of discussion and sharing of information. This should be appreciated. We critique the jackets, we DON'T critique the people.

If the "thumb down" is not enough as an explanation why a jacket is not good enough, then more information should be sought for.

I guess the majority of the members of this forum is inclined to think that GW jackets are the best (I don't blame them), but thank God, there are members here who although prefer GW are 100% objective in their comments about jackets from other makers. Am I the only one who sees this?

MikeyB-17

PLATON said:
Let's not label people.

This is a forum for jacket discussion. We 'd like to hear the pros and cons of any jacket.
"It looks great on you" is not enough.

Some people take the time to give their opinion for the sake of discussion and sharing of information. This should be appreciated. We critique the jackets, we DON'T critique the people.

If the "thumb down" is not enough as an explanation why a jacket is not good enough, then more information should be sought for.

I guess the majority of the members of this forum is inclined to think that GW jackets are the best (I don't blame them), but thank God, there are members here who although prefer GW are 100% objective in their comments about jackets from other makers. Am I the only one who sees this?

Absolutely not Platon. Spot on.

Vcruiser

Yes but the arrogance is uncalled for. When pointed out..the arrogant then attempt to turn it around on those who dare speak up..or continue to speak out. That just exhibits more haughtiness.
It takes alot of work and ambition to become an expert at something but an added egocentrical attitude has caused others to stop posting..or even leave the VLJ.
From the PMs that I've received over the last few years..Peter has every right to complain. There are the apologists and more recent continuing supporters..however there are also still those that threaten to leave the forum as well. To the arrogant some other's importance is of little matter especially if they don't speak out and even moreso if they dare offer criticism. A good example is the A.M. Irvin thread among other scattered instances. Too bad that with all that knowledge comes the unneeded baggage..but it ain't gonna change,Peter.

A

Anonymous

I think all opinions are valuable.
I hear what you say but I am not in the forum for so long so I don't have experience others do.
Also, I don't follow all the threads (Irvin included), so again I can't comment.

Vcruiser

PLATON said:
I think all opinions are valuable.
I hear what you say but I am not in the forum for so long so I don't have experience others do.
Also, I don't follow all the threads (Irvin included), so again I can't comment.

Yeah..I agree.
I just hate to see Peter dumped on when he's only voicing the obvious and willing to be vocal about it. It may bother some more than others...or some not much at all who are willing to overlook it. However..it will not change in any event..but at least it's out in the open...again.

Peter Graham

Vcruiser said:
but it ain't gonna change,Peter.

Like the NRA Van. :) . Thanks for the kind remarks. Amongst the arrogance there has always been a core of good guys that make this forum the fun place to visit that it is. Some have dropped away and one has passed away but there are still enough around here to make it worthwhile and long may that last.

Vcruiser

Peter Graham said:
Vcruiser said:
but it ain't gonna change,Peter.

Like the NRA Van. :) . Thanks for the kind remarks. Amongst the arrogance there has always been a core of good guys that make this forum the fun place to visit that it is. Some have dropped away and one has passed away but there are still enough around here to make it worthwhile and long may that last.

Exactly.
I bet it would be surprising just how many don't come here anymore,though.

B-Man2

It's December 24th ,2012, Christmas Eve .
How about some "Peace On Earth and Good Will Toward Men"

Merry Christmas to all
Or whatever religious belief you
choose to celebrate.