• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero (limited) "Quatermaster" A-2 Run

A

Anonymous

pooped_my_pants-12034.jpg

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
Here's a nice touch.

To complete the perfect detailling of our recreation we've fitted an Art Deco boxed, Triple Marked Talon zippers, just as used on the original contract.

Sadly when I looked at the pics I only saw inaccurate repro zip. :roll:

OMG - imagine the embarrassment at the pub when everyone sees that zip!
But then it's no surprise that you'd notice the zip as that's the critical component for a new line of jackets after all! Or maybe it's the only component in some cases.
As to the other question, no, cursing doesn't add any validity to my statements. It just made me feel better at that particular moment in time. In retrospect, not needed.

omarco

i swear a lot, though i try not to around my daughter.. can't see the problem on a forum full of adults personally.

I actually quite like the russet steerhide jacket - for the price... its amazing how things suddenly seem appealing when they are cheap (relatively) :D

MikeyB-17

This is the first new repro military jacket Aero have turned out in years-an indication that Ken is back in charge again I reckon. I like the idea of a reasonably priced 'off the peg' jacket, although I can remember paying £225 for an Aero horse A-2! I'm not in the market for an A-2 anyway, but in any case I wouldn't have one of these 'cos I've always thought the rust knits were horrible. My Golden Book has that ELC Aero in it-I'm amazed they only made ten!

Robman

I quite like the Aero rust knits on my anniverary model and may pull the plug on a seal with mid brown as is common on the 18775p.

tater

If it's not meant to be critiqued for accuracy, why apply a specific wartime contract label to it? Serious question. I'm not a collector like many of you guys, but I think if it claims to be a real contract, then it is asking to be judged against others that make the same contract (and the originals). If you want immunity from critique, then make up a contract, and say it is "based on" wartime model(s).

As always, YMMV :)

Persimmon

tater said:
If it's not meant to be critiqued for accuracy, why apply a specific wartime contract label to it? Serious question. I'm not a collector like many of you guys, but I think if it claims to be a real contract, then it is asking to be judged against others that make the same contract (and the originals). If you want immunity from critique, then make up a contract, and say it is "based on" wartime model(s).

What does YMMV
When I googled it it came up with
Your mileage might vary

Do you mean that and if so what's the connection please

zoomer

You might have a different opinion...one man's trash is another man's treasure...results not guaranteed.

Rutger

Literally, "Your Mileage May Vary," coming from the small print in (American?) automobile commercials in the 70's and 80's. It has come to mean an acknowledgement that the opinion of the poster may not be shared by everyone.
"I thought Weezer's later albums were better than their earlier works, but YMMV."

tater

Yeah, exactly. Was saying that certainly it would not be unreasonable to NOT share my opinion. It was just my thought. :)

Roughwear

tater said:

This is true. Just call it a house jacket.

Peter Graham

ButteMT61 said:
OMG - imagine the embarrassment at the pub when everyone sees that zip!
But then it's no surprise that you'd notice the zip as that's the critical component for a new line of jackets after all! Or maybe it's the only component in some cases.
:lol:

ButteMT61

I have no issue with someone(s) critiquing a jacket with some tact.
But there's factions of folks who sit atop holier than thou soapboxes excluding members who don't have the money or desire or need for exacting replicas or repros. 99.99% of humanity won't know about such things as an improper zip box, collar snap, etc. why male folks feel like crap if they have pride in such jackets on the forum?
I can and do appreciate the thought, research, and skills required to make a jacket such as GW. I also appreciate a nicely made jacket by skilled folks who care about putting out a good product, if not perfect one, affordably. The difference in price alone on this lineup, with a clear delineating use of "leftover" hides means its not competing with GW.
If your father showed up in one of these, would you react like you do here? How many of you snobs flew in WWII earning your A-2's? I don't see you slamming real pilots/vets here for wearing (hard earned) Coopers.
All I'm asking for is a little less of the snobbery. It carries over to people trying to earn a living on eBay who get targeted and laughed at here. Really? I've called out some funny jackets over the years, but not people that I can recall. It's like high school. Some of you ought to look at your own pics before spending so much time belittling others.

Just my 2¢. But based on the numbers of PM's and emails, many others feel the same.
Happy Holidays

zoomer

I doubt those who fluff off Aero for their mil-repros feel the same about their civilian product. It seems to be universally pretty well thought of.

John Lever

I think sometimes we are rather too elitist, as Scott points out. But the line betwwen critical appraisal and condemnation can be very fine.
Just go with instinct may be the best solution. If it looks right and you like it then that's OK to me.

Persimmon

John Lever said:
I think sometimes we are rather too elitist, as Scott points out. But the line betwwen critical appraisal and condemnation can be very fine.
Just go with instinct may be the best solution. If it looks right and you like it then that's OK to me.

John, your point of if it looks right and ( therefore if it feels right ) to the individual is
very valid.
Even the most period accurate jacket needs to fit right, and look right if it is to be worn often otherwise it eventually gets traded.

However might it be that reading on the Hat Lounge (and to a lesser extend here) that Aero is the answer to all prayers is what rubs people up the wrong way a touch.

They might make wonderful non military jackets but their military range jackets (eg) the A2, is shockingly poor to the higher standards set today by Eastman, Kelso and Goodwear.
Not quite Mall like but if they lower their standards much more there is a danger.

I am pleased that Aero as a British company is working hard in a difficult world wide economy to provide products to customers and to offer employment to their staff but lets not just give them an automatic (A + Star ) for everything they produce and certainly not just because a founding father has returned.

Time and product expectation have moved on

tater

I personally don't care who makes a given jacket. As I said above, though, IMO, the use of a real, wartime contract implies an attention to specific detail that I do not expect with a jacket that does not make that same claim. Using a replica tag with wartime contract is in fact a claim that the jacket should be compared to that contract. It is asking for such comparison, right? You'd certainly expect people on forums like this one to point it out at the least.

That said the critical issue for me WRT use of a contract would be the pattern (wartime sort of fit), the stitching details, knit color, pocket/epaulette shape, and lining. Zippers and snaps would be last on my list of things to be concerned about assuming they are in the right places, and not completely off base choices. the specific details come in with cost---I'd be annoyed if a $1000 jacket had the wrong snaps assuming the right ones could have been had, but on a jacket at a fraction of that price, if the look and fit was authentic, I'd not sweat the choice of zipper or snap.

A simple way is to make it a "house" jacket, then inform people that the pattern/leather/stitching is based upon contract XXXXXX, with specific details of fittings changed to produce a more affordable jacket.

Steve H

GoodTimesGone said:
Roughwear said:
leather looks like plastic with no discernible grain. :roll: They really need to raise their game.
I really don't care for shiny smooth leather. Perhaps that's why I favored the steerhide example. I had an Aero house A-2 in russet smooth horsehide a couple of years ago. I rolled it up and put it under my pillow, laid it on the couch and leaned against it while watching t.v. yet it would not develop grain. There were only a few creases that appeared but they looked like creases in a plastic bag. I finally sold it on ebay. I am aware that not all Aero horsehide A-2s look that way, as I've seen some beautiful examples on this forum.

Firstly, Tater, I couldn't have said it better, good post!

Tom, a couple of years ago I also had an Aero house A2 in the same light russett leather in a 42- I also sold it on ePray because the leather HH would NOT break in- it looked like a plastic bag and did not fit/ crease/ fall well at all and just felt clunky. For comparison at the time I wore a mates RMNZ Roughwear and the difference was like eating dirt and caviar!

I have not been a Aero fan since due to that experience but that was before I knew what a "house repro" was and I was an uninformed ingnoramus on this subject at the time- not that I'm an expert now but I have sampled enough to be aware of what I do and don't like. Horses for courses- just get in to what you are comfortable with- you'll know when you know. I have an Avirex made in the 70's that I personally love even though it doesn't fit me any more but it carries a bit of history so I don't let people knock it! Is it totally accurate? I don't care- it has character and USED to fit me like a glove!

269sqnhudson

Wowsers what happened here?

Andrew's fine to point out the faults surely, I don't get the problem :? It's a flight jacket forum, it's the whole point, and Andrew's a polite chap so why the massive retaliation? Aero's zips are total pap, I've had a couple.

Jeff M

269sqnhudson said:
Wowsers what happened here?

Andrew's fine to point out the faults surely, I don't get the problem :? It's a flight jacket forum, it's the whole point, and Andrew's a polite chap so why the massive retaliation?......

Yep.Comes with the territory.
I admit it. I'm a jacket snob. :lol: That's one reason I come here....to hang out with other jacket snobs and learn something.
It's a speciality forum for goodness sake. I expect folks here to be more critical of leather jackets/ reproductions than the average person.

If I were into high end stereo systems I'd probably hang out at an audiophile forum where people criticized things like speaker cable quality.