my latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by Edward, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Wow !!!! Fancy donating one ;) i love the NOS stuff ! I have a couple or so NOS items !!

2. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for one of these to come along for a while!
    At 5:38pm today I became the proud owner of a rare January 1944
    SETH THOMAS U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES clock with the ZULU (GMT) hand!
    It works perfectly and was serviced last month by the Montana Clock Shop in Santa Monica, California.
    There was only one other last second bidder... I GOT IT FOR A MERE $680 SHIPPED!!!!!
    Its not the famed Sector clock but I like it better as the words United States Army Air Forces is not only painted on the metal face but impressed into it!
    This is the crown jewel of my AAF collection and I am cracking open a bottle of wine now! :D
    clocks-l1600-3.jpg clocks-l1600-4.jpg clocks-l1600-2.jpg clocks-l1600-1.jpg

3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

4. Cocker

Cocker Well-Known Member

Amazing find!!

5. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

arrived today... have to rearrange my pinup art but now I will always know the Greenwich Mean Time! lol!
    IMG_2510.JPG

6. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

finally got around to framing the 1942 B-17 and B-26 Recognition posters. now I just need to track down a matching B-24 Liberator!
    IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2524.JPG

7. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is with me and old private purchase AAF billfolds but I picked this one up as it was NOS and well made. naturally I put Varga Girls in it. :D It came with a 1943 calendar. This probably wasn't cheap back in the day... nor was it cheap today as I paid $40 for it. :confused: typically the upcoming year's calendar would be included in A gift store item so this most likely dates to late 1942.
    IMG_2530.JPG IMG_2531.jpg IMG_2532.JPG IMG_2534.JPG IMG_2535.JPG

8. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Did not think I would get a chance at finding one of these!
    a 1942 A-6 EVEREADY Pilot Penlight!
    Type A-6 Spec 32378 Order 42-20150-P
    Property Air Force, US Army

One went up for auction back in July. 7 bidders and sold for $510

I got this one a few days ago. It had an opening bid of $100 but a 'buy it now' button for $350. It wasn't money I wanted to spend but you just don't see too many of the '42 A-6 lights come up and Its in excellent working condition! Its another highly sought after rarity so, I will just not eat this month. :p

IMG_2574.JPG IMG_2576.JPG IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2577.JPG

9. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

That’s a beauty, Edward! Would one of these NOS billfolds still hold still home up to use?

- Ian

10. EmergencyIan

Another beauty, Edward!

When I was a paramedic, most penlights were already made of plastic. However, I always made it a point to carry a stainless one. With that, I believe I only went through two. The first wasn’t destroyed, it was lost. Loved them.

- Ian

Edward likes this.
  11. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

yes, the latest NOS I acquired is as if it was made this year... the leather isn't dry at all and very strong. no cracking when opening and closing. I would not hesitate to use it and put it in my back pocket yet I do not do so because I want it to remain as new looking as possible and not add any wear and tear on it. The plastic photo covers inside is hard and susceptible to cracking though due to age and if the billfold is bent in a back pocket I'm sure that plastic would crack. easily replaced though. They seem to stay pretty well protected by being kept in my A-2 pocket and are there more as a conversation piece.
    The mini bill fold is still useable but does seem like it is drying out a little bit but its still plyable and I added Renapur, an all natural leather conditioner to it. I keep a 1935 silver certificate $1 bill in it and the change pocket has a 1942 penny, '42 nickel, '42 mercury dime and a 1942 Quarter in it... you know, for good luck LOL!

EmergencyIan likes this.
  12. EmergencyIan

You took the words right from my brain when you stated that it looks like it was made yesterday. I was thinking the same thing, exactly, as I was typing my previous post in this thread. So, that’s why I asked about using it now. That said, I fully understand why you’d keep it in unused condition. If owned two like that one, I’d keep one NOS and use the other while maintaining it.

- Ian

Edward likes this.
  13. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I had considered using it but just didn't have the heart to break in a 75 year old wallet that still looks factory fresh save a touch of green oxidation corrosion around the button snaps. I'll have to sell it 25 years from now anyway to fund my medications for my Old man syndromes so I want to keep it looking nice. LOL! I figure my WWII items will be about 100 years old then and maybe there will be collectors still interested... if not I have a lot of junk to donate to a museum. lol!

EmergencyIan likes this.
  14. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Edward
    These are a couple of pretty cool items.
    The wallet is amazing at 75 years old.
    The pen light also in phenomenal condition is a real find.
    Congrats

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Edward likes this.
  15. EmergencyIan

That’s thinking ahead! Lol

- Ian

Edward likes this.
  16. Cocker

Cocker Well-Known Member

Edward, I love your display with the recognition posters and Varga pin-ups! I wonder if there's any repro of those available...

17. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

891B12FE-BE58-4B9A-A26D-A84C5445A875.jpeg
    There are repros on Etsy but they are missing the small red outlined detail portions. It’s possible some later war era prints didn’t have them though so they may still be accurate to whatever they copied them from. Here is a B-17G for $20.00 and they have a few other planes p-51D, B-25J Mitchell, F4U Corsair, P40E Warhawk...

Link

18. Cocker

Cocker Well-Known Member

Woah, that's nice, thanks Edward! Indeed they are not 100% correct, but they already look really great! I also found this: http://spottingchartproject.storenvy.com/

And forgot to say, but that wallet is damned amazing. 40 bucks for that piece of art is really not expensive. It's so good it looks like it has been manufactured yesterday.

EmergencyIan and Edward like this.
  19. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Ya I was looking at that as well. It’s hard to find decent reproduction recognition posters. Ya that wallet I would have passed on if it wasn’t minty fresh! Had to have it! Lol!

EmergencyIan likes this.
  20. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

holy crap! so this just happened! Gotta love that 'buy it now' button!
    WWII Royal Air Force white porcelain coffee mug marked Empire Ware England 1941 Excellent condition.

coffee600-7.jpg coffee602.jpg coffee601.jpg
    coffeecup.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018