• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Carl

I DID A THING....

Today I received an unopened “overseas packed" box marked as containing Three (3) Cord, CD-318. Cord CD-318 was used as an extension cord/push to talk box for throat microphones T-30 and lip microphone T-45. "Overseas packed" means multiple layers of waxed paper and waterproofed cloth to prevent moisture, fungus, or sand under all weather conditions. This box was fully sealed in 1943 and has never been opened. Until now…. Yes, I opened it! :eek:

I was thrilled and honored yet scared and a bit sad to think that this box was sealed 75 years ago only to be opened by little ole me later in the 21st century! What right did I have? LOL! But it was the contents inside I wanted and not a taped up box... so, I documented the unboxing and inside the cellophane, wax paper, waterproofed cloth and a thick coat of what I think was beeswax were, of course, three individually boxed CD-318 cords in mint condition... I may have released a long thought extinct strand of the flu out of the sealed boxes or maybe a curse... but I think it will be worth it! :D
I hated that I had to destroy the outer packaging but the cellophane tape was brittle and falling apart and the waxy substance was rather sticky and smelled like new tires! There was really no way to save it they way it was put together, coated then sealed and taped up... it just had to be removed and tossed but I did keep the top layer with the label for posterity.
So here are the pictures of my opening the time capsule tomb and releasing the foul stench of 1943….

View attachment 10588 View attachment 10589 View attachment 10590 View attachment 10591 View attachment 10592 View attachment 10593 View attachment 10594 View attachment 10595 View attachment 10596 View attachment 10598

oh, and I only paid $6.28 for this. shipping was $15.33 lol! so it was fun but didn't cost me much....
Wow !!!! Fancy donating one ;) i love the NOS stuff ! I have a couple or so NOS items !!

Edward

I've been waiting for one of these to come along for a while!
At 5:38pm today I became the proud owner of a rare January 1944
SETH THOMAS U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES clock with the ZULU (GMT) hand!
It works perfectly and was serviced last month by the Montana Clock Shop in Santa Monica, California.
There was only one other last second bidder... I GOT IT FOR A MERE $680 SHIPPED!!!!!
Its not the famed Sector clock but I like it better as the words United States Army Air Forces is not only painted on the metal face but impressed into it!
This is the crown jewel of my AAF collection and I am cracking open a bottle of wine now! :D
clocks-l1600-3.jpg
clocks-l1600-4.jpg
clocks-l1600-2.jpg
clocks-l1600-1.jpg

Edward

I don't know what it is with me and old private purchase AAF billfolds but I picked this one up as it was NOS and well made. naturally I put Varga Girls in it. :D It came with a 1943 calendar. This probably wasn't cheap back in the day... nor was it cheap today as I paid $40 for it. :confused: typically the upcoming year's calendar would be included in A gift store item so this most likely dates to late 1942.
IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG

Edward

Did not think I would get a chance at finding one of these!
a 1942 A-6 EVEREADY Pilot Penlight!
Type A-6 Spec 32378 Order 42-20150-P
Property Air Force, US Army

One went up for auction back in July. 7 bidders and sold for $510

I got this one a few days ago. It had an opening bid of $100 but a 'buy it now' button for $350. It wasn't money I wanted to spend but you just don't see too many of the '42 A-6 lights come up and Its in excellent working condition! Its another highly sought after rarity so, I will just not eat this month. :p

IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2578.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG

EmergencyIan

I don't know what it is with me and old private purchase AAF billfolds but I picked this one up as it was NOS and well made. naturally I put Varga Girls in it. :D It came with a 1943 calendar. This probably wasn't cheap back in the day... nor was it cheap today as I paid $40 for it. :confused: typically the upcoming year's calendar would be included in A gift store item so this most likely dates to late 1942.
View attachment 11013 View attachment 11014 View attachment 11015 View attachment 11016 View attachment 11017

That’s a beauty, Edward! Would one of these NOS billfolds still hold still home up to use?

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Did not think I would get a chance at finding one of these!
a 1942 A-6 EVEREADY Pilot Penlight!
Type A-6 Spec 32378 Order 42-20150-P
Property Air Force, US Army

One went up for auction back in July. 7 bidders and sold for $510

I got this one a few days ago. It had an opening bid of $100 but a 'buy it now' button for $350. It wasn't money I wanted to spend but you just don't see too many of the '42 A-6 lights come up and Its in excellent working condition! Its another highly sought after rarity so, I will just not eat this month. :p

View attachment 11247 View attachment 11248 View attachment 11249 View attachment 11250

Another beauty, Edward!

When I was a paramedic, most penlights were already made of plastic. However, I always made it a point to carry a stainless one. With that, I believe I only went through two. The first wasn’t destroyed, it was lost. Loved them.

- Ian

Edward

That’s a beauty, Edward! Would one of these NOS billfolds still hold still home up to use?

- Ian
yes, the latest NOS I acquired is as if it was made this year... the leather isn't dry at all and very strong. no cracking when opening and closing. I would not hesitate to use it and put it in my back pocket yet I do not do so because I want it to remain as new looking as possible and not add any wear and tear on it. The plastic photo covers inside is hard and susceptible to cracking though due to age and if the billfold is bent in a back pocket I'm sure that plastic would crack. easily replaced though. They seem to stay pretty well protected by being kept in my A-2 pocket and are there more as a conversation piece.
The mini bill fold is still useable but does seem like it is drying out a little bit but its still plyable and I added Renapur, an all natural leather conditioner to it. I keep a 1935 silver certificate $1 bill in it and the change pocket has a 1942 penny, '42 nickel, '42 mercury dime and a 1942 Quarter in it... you know, for good luck LOL!

EmergencyIan

yes, the latest NOS I acquired is as if it was made this year... the leather isn't dry at all and very strong. no cracking when opening and closing. I would not hesitate to use it and put it in my back pocket yet I do not do so because I want it to remain as new looking as possible and not add any wear and tear on it. The plastic photo covers inside is hard and susceptible to cracking though due to age and if the billfold is bent in a back pocket I'm sure that plastic would crack. easily replaced though. They seem to stay pretty well protected by being kept in my A-2 pocket and are there more as a conversation piece.
The mini bill fold is still useable but does seem like it is drying out a little bit but its still plyable and I added Renapur, an all natural leather conditioner to it. I keep a 1935 silver certificate $1 bill in it and the change pocket has a 1942 penny, '42 nickel, '42 mercury dime and a 1942 Quarter in it... you know, for good luck LOL!

You took the words right from my brain when you stated that it looks like it was made yesterday. I was thinking the same thing, exactly, as I was typing my previous post in this thread. So, that’s why I asked about using it now. That said, I fully understand why you’d keep it in unused condition. If owned two like that one, I’d keep one NOS and use the other while maintaining it.

- Ian

Edward

I had considered using it but just didn't have the heart to break in a 75 year old wallet that still looks factory fresh save a touch of green oxidation corrosion around the button snaps. I'll have to sell it 25 years from now anyway to fund my medications for my Old man syndromes so I want to keep it looking nice. LOL! I figure my WWII items will be about 100 years old then and maybe there will be collectors still interested... if not I have a lot of junk to donate to a museum. lol!

B-Man2

Edward
These are a couple of pretty cool items.
The wallet is amazing at 75 years old.
The pen light also in phenomenal condition is a real find.
Congrats

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

I had considered using it but just didn't have the heart to break in a 75 year old wallet that still looks factory fresh save a touch of green oxidation corrosion around the button snaps. I'll have to sell it 25 years from now anyway to fund my medications for my Old man syndromes so I want to keep it looking nice. LOL! I figure my WWII items will be about 100 years old then and maybe there will be collectors still interested... if not I have a lot of junk to donate to a museum. lol!

That’s thinking ahead! Lol

- Ian

Cocker

Edward, I love your display with the recognition posters and Varga pin-ups! I wonder if there's any repro of those available...

Edward

891B12FE-BE58-4B9A-A26D-A84C5445A875.jpeg
Edward, I love your display with the recognition posters and Varga pin-ups! I wonder if there's any repro of those available...
There are repros on Etsy but they are missing the small red outlined detail portions. It’s possible some later war era prints didn’t have them though so they may still be accurate to whatever they copied them from. Here is a B-17G for $20.00 and they have a few other planes p-51D, B-25J Mitchell, F4U Corsair, P40E Warhawk...

Link

Edward

Woah, that's nice, thanks Edward! Indeed they are not 100% correct, but they already look really great! I also found this: http://spottingchartproject.storenvy.com/

And forgot to say, but that wallet is damned amazing. 40 bucks for that piece of art is really not expensive. It's so good it looks like it has been manufactured yesterday.

Ya I was looking at that as well. It’s hard to find decent reproduction recognition posters. Ya that wallet I would have passed on if it wasn’t minty fresh! Had to have it! Lol!