my latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by Edward, Jul 5, 2018.

1. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

2. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

The interior looks clean no staining. wish I knew the story of its history!
    coffee4.jpg

B-Man2 likes this.
  3. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

Another winner, Edward!

Using it might be tempting, but I’m sure you’ll be wiser than I! Anyhow, you display your collection nicely. It should be easy to display this!

- Ian

dmar836 and Edward like this.
  4. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

That looks better every time I look at it.
    I’ll bet that somewhere there’s a case of those things, in new condition , sitting in someone’s garage or attic.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Edward likes this.
  5. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Thanks but wouldn’t my coffee taste better in it somehow? LOL! You know I’m going to use it! But I will be super careful with it and treat it like gold! Yeah I would like to think that a crew member brought it back because it was his favorite cup but for all I know he shipped it off to his girlfriend while still there. I can’t imagine how a 1941 English made RAF coffee cup would end up in the state otherwise. So I like to fantasize that an airman used it and brought it back home with him after completing his tour of duty in 1943! Yeah that’s good!

EmergencyIan likes this.
  6. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

I'd use it a lot! Just don't use it for tea!
    Stains will come out anyway. I used some Scrubbing Bubbles on one of my daily use cups and was quite surprised.

EmergencyIan and Edward like this.
  7. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

good point. I only drink a cup or two on weekend mornings. I don't have time during the work week so I pop a 200mg caffeine pill (I usually break it in half as 100 mg won't get me over peaked lol!
    Most likely it will just be on display as I am currently using a 1940s Army Medical mug (thick and heavy!) on a 3/17/ 1941 USQMC saucer. the sugar condiment jar is also a 1941 USQMC
    IMG_2645.JPG

stanier, dmar836 and EmergencyIan like this.
  8. EmergencyIan

Hey, my wanting to use it wasn’t such a crazy idea after all! Lol As I said, I’d want to use it.

Love that U.S. Medical Dept. coffee cup that you’re using! I’ve seen a lot of items, including dishes for the U.S. Medical Department, including dishes, over the years.

- Ian

Edward likes this.
  9. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

ya, the medical dept stuff is really common for some reason. perhaps because a lot of men were sent back to the US for recovery so a lot of stuff is readily available. the US Quarter Master Corps mess hall wares are really easy and cheap to get as well.... so much on eBay. I just wanted a nice solid coffee mug of the era! LOL!

EmergencyIan likes this.
  10. EmergencyIan

Another WWII item that was built like a tank! It’s very nice. I may look into picking one up off of eBay or a similar one.

- Ian

Edward likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Dope weekend flea market find: rough cast solid brass B-17. People at work laugh at me but it weighs at least 10 lbs so makes a killer paper weight.

Paper.JPG

Stony, EmergencyIan, B-Man2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Wow! That is fantastic! I definitely would have purchased that as well… You are not crazy for getting that! I love it.

13. EmergencyIan

Awesome find, Grant!

- Ian

14. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

For the love of God what is happening here?! :p
    H-1 1942, 1943, 1944
    IMG_2663.jpg

Pilot and EmergencyIan like this.
  15. Dover

Dover Active Member

Edward don't give any thought to donating your treasures to a museum. Your collection IS a museum that we all here at VLJ enjoy! And being here in North Carolina I'm close enough to take the tour! lol;)

EmergencyIan and Edward like this.
  16. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

LOL! you know you've gotten old when you spend your weekend watching the History Channel and collecting WWII stuff!
    I am now an at home Conservator, curator and Archivist! LOL!

EmergencyIan, Grant and Dover like this.
  17. EmergencyIan

Good lord! Unbelievable, Edward.

- Ian

18. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I need an intervention :p

EmergencyIan likes this.
  19. EmergencyIan

Yes, you do! Lol

- Ian

Pilot likes this.
  20. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Got my 1941 RAF coffee mug in today and its so much larger than I thought! (That's what she said! :p )

Here is a comparison shot with the 1940s Army Medical mug and some vintage images with the same cups:

IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG 374133_7ccbd2bd59a143feb1629e79f965fc8c.jpg gettyimages-3325576-1024x1024.jpg FRE_000972.jpg FRE_000192.jpg