• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

my latest acquisitions

EmergencyIan

B-Man2

That looks better every time I look at it.
I’ll bet that somewhere there’s a case of those things, in new condition , sitting in someone’s garage or attic.

Last edited:

Edward

Thanks but wouldn’t my coffee taste better in it somehow? LOL! You know I’m going to use it! But I will be super careful with it and treat it like gold! Yeah I would like to think that a crew member brought it back because it was his favorite cup but for all I know he shipped it off to his girlfriend while still there. I can’t imagine how a 1941 English made RAF coffee cup would end up in the state otherwise. So I like to fantasize that an airman used it and brought it back home with him after completing his tour of duty in 1943! Yeah that’s good!

Edward

I'd use it a lot! Just don't use it for tea!
Stains will come out anyway. I used some Scrubbing Bubbles on one of my daily use cups and was quite surprised.
good point. I only drink a cup or two on weekend mornings. I don't have time during the work week so I pop a 200mg caffeine pill (I usually break it in half as 100 mg won't get me over peaked lol!
Most likely it will just be on display as I am currently using a 1940s Army Medical mug (thick and heavy!) on a 3/17/ 1941 USQMC saucer. the sugar condiment jar is also a 1941 USQMC
IMG_2645.JPG

EmergencyIan

Hey, my wanting to use it wasn’t such a crazy idea after all! Lol As I said, I’d want to use it.

Love that U.S. Medical Dept. coffee cup that you’re using! I’ve seen a lot of items, including dishes for the U.S. Medical Department, including dishes, over the years.

- Ian

Edward

Hey, my wanting to use it wasn’t such a crazy idea after all! Lol As I said, I’d want to use it.

Love that U.S. Medical Dept. coffee cup that you’re using! I’ve seen a lot of items, including dishes for the U.S. Medical Department, including dishes, over the years.

- Ian
ya, the medical dept stuff is really common for some reason. perhaps because a lot of men were sent back to the US for recovery so a lot of stuff is readily available. the US Quarter Master Corps mess hall wares are really easy and cheap to get as well.... so much on eBay. I just wanted a nice solid coffee mug of the era! LOL!

EmergencyIan

ya, the medical dept stuff is really common for some reason. perhaps because a lot of men were sent back to the US for recovery so a lot of stuff is readily available. the US Quarter Master Corps mess hall wares are really easy and cheap to get as well.... so much on eBay. I just wanted a nice solid coffee mug of the era! LOL!
Another WWII item that was built like a tank! It’s very nice. I may look into picking one up off of eBay or a similar one.

- Ian

Edward

Wow! That is fantastic! I definitely would have purchased that as well… You are not crazy for getting that! I love it.

Dover

I had considered using it but just didn't have the heart to break in a 75 year old wallet that still looks factory fresh save a touch of green oxidation corrosion around the button snaps. I'll have to sell it 25 years from now anyway to fund my medications for my Old man syndromes so I want to keep it looking nice. LOL! I figure my WWII items will be about 100 years old then and maybe there will be collectors still interested... if not I have a lot of junk to donate to a museum. lol!
Edward don't give any thought to donating your treasures to a museum. Your collection IS a museum that we all here at VLJ enjoy! And being here in North Carolina I'm close enough to take the tour! lol;)