• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my latest acquisitions

Edward

where they meant to be worn with a wool liner like an A-11 or just as a thin flight glove ?
I don't think they wore Rayon inserts liners with Wool liners. it was one or the other but not both. you would use the wool with the A-11 and the the A11A gloves but I'm sure it varied by individual. Just like some Americans liked to use the RAF Type C helmet instead of the B5 or B6.

Last edited:

Carl

I'll stay quite toasty in this very early Type II Class A Wool V-Neck Sweater!
Dated January 22, 1942 and just my size (42)! Got it for $93 shipped.
it only has one flaw, a good 1 cm catch/tear on the right cuff but I can get it repaired one day... otherwise it looks like it wasn't worn very much and the label is still quite legible.

Size 42

MYRTLE KNITTING MILLS Inc
(one of the 7 known manufacturers of this spec)
Contract No. W-669-QM-15191
Dated January 22, 1942
A.M.C. Tent. Spec. P.Q.D. No. 111
Type II - December 22, 1941
Stock No. 55-S-91042
Phila. Q.M. Depot
View attachment 9721 View attachment 9722 View attachment 9723 View attachment 9724 View attachment 9725 View attachment 9726
Nice sweater ! Now to find the Type A1 :)

Carl

I'll stay quite toasty in this very early Type II Class A Wool V-Neck Sweater!
Dated January 22, 1942 and just my size (42)! Got it for $93 shipped.
it only has one flaw, a good 1 cm catch/tear on the right cuff but I can get it repaired one day... otherwise it looks like it wasn't worn very much and the label is still quite legible.

Size 42

MYRTLE KNITTING MILLS Inc
(one of the 7 known manufacturers of this spec)
Contract No. W-669-QM-15191
Dated January 22, 1942
A.M.C. Tent. Spec. P.Q.D. No. 111
Type II - December 22, 1941
Stock No. 55-S-91042
Phila. Q.M. Depot
View attachment 9721 View attachment 9722 View attachment 9723 View attachment 9724 View attachment 9725 View attachment 9726

Mrytle.PNG

Edward

Nice sweater ! Now to find the Type A1 :)
there is a great condition Type A-1 size 40 on eBay now priced at $209.00 plus $13.65 shipping. it has 2 tiny moth holes on the front though... I think I will have to skip it at this time. but... they are out there!

Edward

not necessarily aviation related (well, a little bit) but I acquired a rare all aluminum army issue Holder M-167 (clip board)
used in radio control rooms to hold and protect radio station log sheets.
the slightly more common M-167-A is made of steel but these aluminum ones were phased out in early '43 due to needing aluminum for aircraft. The Signal Corps supply catalog for 1943 lists both versions and even mentions no more to be procured and to use Holder M-167-A when stock of aluminum M-167 is exhausted. so a nice find to add to my WWII "office supplies"

IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg
signal corps supply cat 1943.JPG

Edward

I'm familiar with B-2 but not D-2. there was the RAF 1943 Type D gloves though and RAF flight gauntlets were very sought after by US pilots and bomber crews and were often stolen from local depots!

ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-FLIGHT-GLOVES-TYPE-D-3.JPG
ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-FLIGHT-GLOVES-TYPE-D-2.JPG
ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-FLIGHT-GLOVES-TYPE-D-1.JPG
ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-FLIGHT-GLOVES-TYPE-D-6.JPG

Earloffunk

Of course. Since I can’t tell a copy from an original a copy from sof was my choice before getting ripped of

Edward

I DID A THING....

Today I received an unopened “overseas packed" box marked as containing Three (3) Cord, CD-318. Cord CD-318 was used as an extension cord/push to talk box for throat microphones T-30 and lip microphone T-45. "Overseas packed" means multiple layers of waxed paper and waterproofed cloth to prevent moisture, fungus, or sand under all weather conditions. This box was fully sealed in 1943 and has never been opened. Until now…. Yes, I opened it! :eek:

I was thrilled and honored yet scared and a bit sad to think that this box was sealed 75 years ago only to be opened by little ole me later in the 21st century! What right did I have? LOL! But it was the contents inside I wanted and not a taped up box... so, I documented the unboxing and inside the cellophane, wax paper, waterproofed cloth and a thick coat of what I think was beeswax were, of course, three individually boxed CD-318 cords in mint condition... I may have released a long thought extinct strand of the flu out of the sealed boxes or maybe a curse... but I think it will be worth it! :D
I hated that I had to destroy the outer packaging but the cellophane tape was brittle and falling apart and the waxy substance was rather sticky and smelled like new tires! There was really no way to save it they way it was put together, coated then sealed and taped up... it just had to be removed and tossed but I did keep the top layer with the label for posterity.
So here are the pictures of my opening the time capsule tomb and releasing the foul stench of 1943….

IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2449.JPG

oh, and I only paid $6.28 for this. shipping was $15.33 lol! so it was fun but didn't cost me much....

Last edited: