• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet My Little Friend Arlo - Headwind Mfg Co's Aero 18775 Reproduction

Skyhawk

Aero used Brick Red knits on several contracts, 18775 being one of them. Plus it is just such a unique and cool looking combo. One of the main focus points of Headwind Mfg Co has been to reproduce jackets that are very unique and rare. This contract sure fits the unique category as most A-2's have brown knits.

mulceber

Yeah, Jay's right. I do think a lot of the red knits used in repros are a little TOO red, but it's VERY well documented that Aero frequently had red knits, particularly on their later, post-16160 contracts. The specifications are what they are. Government contractors routinely deviated from them and the government didn't care, as long as the garments were serviceable (heck, there's a whole US Court case, which the companies won, that hinged on that point).

Make sure the lable says reproduction or copy so that it can NEVER be confused with a period A2 jacket.

The label says "Arlo." That's not the name of any contractor. Not that that should matter. I see no problem with hyper-accurate copies.

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

Yeah, Jay's right. I do think a lot of the red knits used in repros are a little TOO red, but it's VERY well documented that Aero frequently had red knits, particularly on their later, post-16160 contracts. The specifications are what they are. Government contractors routinely deviated from them and the government didn't care, as long as the garments were serviceable (heck, there's a whole US Court case, which the companies won, that hinged on that point).

The label says "Arlo." That's not the name of any contractor. Not that that should matter. I see no problem with hyper-accurate copies.
Jan work wear after all, the inspectors only ever checked one in about 20 and if it looked goid enough it passed, same as colour, everything from dark seal to russett red dyes, and back to stitching faults, I like all of that, social and military history

mulceber

There was also no way that the company was going to fail the inspection on the color or even quality of the knits, since they didn't buy the knits themselves. The government contracted other companies for them and delivered them to the jacket manufacturer. Same with the lining, leather, zippers, etc. The only thing the jacket manufacturer was responsible for was the construction of the jackets. As long as that was solid, they were good.

Skyhawk

Any plans for an A2 in goatskin?
IMG-20230906-WA0004.jpg

Med Russet Horse and Goat too. As per the orignal contract The Horse will be first. Goat will be in the future.

Skyhawk

There was also no way that the company was going to fail the inspection on the color or even quality of the knits, since they didn't buy the knits themselves. The government contracted other companies for them and delivered them to the jacket manufacturer. Same with the lining, leather, zippers, etc. The only thing the jacket manufacturer was responsible for was the construction of the jackets. As long as that was solid, they were good.
I wonder about that in the case of the red knits, and purple Dubow knits.
If they were handing out knits to the makers, then why did only Aero get the red, and only Dubow get the purple? Wouldn't there be bleed over to the other contracts?

JonnyCrow

Totally agree Jan, hides, wool knits, zippers, lining all were listed under supplies and contracts, end of the day, the girls or seamstresses ran them up

JonnyCrow

I guess everybody wanted in on the war game, don't forget the British sent engineers to Germany to get volkswagon cars up and running again at the end of the war, there's a famous photo 1945 or 1946, a thousands cars off the production line :)

mulceber

If they were handing out knits to the makers, then why did only Aero get the red, and only Dubow get the purple? Wouldn't there be bleed over to the other contracts?

JC's hypothesis is that in order to minimize shipping costs, the government frequently awarded contracts for materials to companies that were geographically close to the jacket manufacturer. Hence Dubow actually still has a shipping receipt for leather they received from Horween (as you know, both are in Chicago). I'm not sure that totally explains it, since a lot of jacket manufacturers were in Beacon, so you'd think more than just Aero would have the red knits. On the other hand, it would totally explain why Aero and Poughkeepsie both had the mustard liner. Anyway, John's hypothesis is the best explanation I've heard.

JonnyCrow

JC's hypothesis is that in order to minimize shipping costs, the government frequently awarded contracts for materials to companies that were geographically close to the jacket manufacturer. Hence Dubow actually still has a shipping receipt for leather they received from Horween (as you know, both are in Chicago). I'm not sure that totally explains it, since a lot of jacket manufacturers were in Beacon, so you'd think more than just Aero would have the red knits. On the other hand, it would totally explain why Aero and Poughkeepsie both had the mustard liner. Anyway, John's hypothesis is the best explanation I've heard.
True enough, when you look as far back as the Indian wars suppliers, civil war all the suppliers, arsenals, Mills belts, saddles and fairweather christians

WingAndaPrayer

If they were handing out knits to the makers, then why did only Aero get the red, and only Dubow get the purple? Wouldn't there be bleed over to the
Hey guys, We have been working on a new line of economical A-2 jackets. These will be a part of our new section on the website named "The Supply Depot". This section will have in stock reproduction jackets for sale that will be immediately shipped when ordered. No production time, no wait. The first jacket in the series is a repro of Aero's 18775 contract. The Aero name is copyright protected by our good friend Ken @ Aero Leather. The name Arlo was chosen for a stand in and was a Sir name found on the east coast during WWII. It was also a popular first name for a time during that period. This jacket was patterned directly off an original, and built side by side with it to hit all the characteristics and details. You will see the signature unmarked anodized large ring snaps, uncovered on the liner. Exact reproduction of all top stitching, excellent reproduction of the label. We went the extra mile and attached the label like the original with the stitching coming down off the neck line, and going back up. All reinforcements were copied. We did all we could for a 100% reproduction of this unique contract. We used our reproduction 100% wool Red Brick knits, and of course the 100% cotton Mustard color liner. The zip is a M39 Talon repro that is decent quality. It is topped off nicely with the proper "C" type top stops.
I have every size available now. They just arrived today
$350 + Shipping - $25 in the USA - International varies
You can PM me for an invoice. It's not on the site yet.
This run was made with our Dark Russet Horsehide.

Now it's time to introduce my friend Arlo:
View attachment 120941
View attachment 120959

View attachment 120951

View attachment 120953View attachment 120955View attachment 120957View attachment 120943View attachment 120947

View attachment 120945
What is the biggest off the shelf size you will offer?