• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet My Little Friend Arlo - Headwind Mfg Co's Aero 18775 Reproduction

Skyhawk

Design wise this looks pretty much identical to the Buzz Junky Special Ltd Ed jacket I have, the one exception being the BR has collar snaps while your version seems not to have. Did you copy this from an original or the from the Buzz, or was it just an idea you had that happens to be close to the latter?
I am not familiar with that jacket. We used an original Aero 18775 to make our reproduction. Maybe they did too, and that's why the similarities. Our production is explained in the first post in thread. Here are some shots of the Aero as I was taking measurements:
IMG_20230429_112909744.jpg

IMG_20230429_105312201.jpg

IMG_20230429_172452038.jpg

IMG_20230429_110938531.jpg

- Jay

Juanito

So, I met with Jay earlier today and picked up the 46 he had. More pictures will follow when I get home.

Initial impressions are that it is a decent value for the money. Leather is very similar and like a cross between the Avirex and Willis & Geiger horsehide of the late 1980s. In fact, it feels very similar to the W&G hides--chrome tanned, drum dyed, with a pigment finish. Should be very water proof.

Quality of materials is on par or exceeds Five Star while constuction quality is not there, particularly when it comes to the lining/attachment. Knits are superb. Stitching threads per inch varies.

It is probably typical of a war time jacket.

Here's a photo of a top stitching issue attaching the liner to the zipper and then to the jacket. I did not notice this when I was inspecting it pre-purchase:

Last edited:

Skyhawk

So, I met with Jay earlier today and picked up the 46 he had. More pictures will follow when I get home.

Initial impressions are that it is a decent value for the money. Leather is very similar and like a cross between the Avirex and Willis & Geiger horsehide of the late 1980s. In fact, it feels very similar to the W&G hides--chrome tanned, drum dyed, with a pigment finish. Should be very water proof.

Quality of materials is on par or exceeds Five Star while constuction quality is not there, particularly when it comes to the lining/attachment. Knits are superb. Stitching threads per inch varies.

Here's a photo of a top stitching issue attaching the liner to the zipper and then to the jacket. I did not notice this when I was inspecting it pre-purchase:

Skyhawk

Thanks for you impressions on the jacket. I also didn't notice the liner stitching. It should be an easy fix. I am not sure how many are like that. It does remind me of things I have seen on originals. I guess it's even more authentic ;)
If it ever comes apart let me know. I will fix it for you free of charge.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Juanito
Congrats on your new jacket. It looks like Headwind has finally found a business model that works well. The customer travels to the seller and picks up his jacket at the time of payment insuring a successful stress free transaction.
Brilliant !!

Last edited:

CBI

this is all odd to me. the folks buying these on the forum own/have owned numerous Good Wears, ELC< originals, etc. Why purchase an entry level A-2? I just don't get it. I guess its just out of curiosity or the uncontrollable urge to buy another jacket (and that is reasonably priced to boot). Perhaps some therapy is in order? But..........enjoy! Jay, I am not knocking your jackets, looks like good stuff at the price point!

Nickb123

this is all odd to me. the folks buying these on the forum own/have owned numerous Good Wears, ELC< originals, etc. Why purchase an entry level A-2? I just don't get it. I guess its just out of curiosity or the uncontrollable urge to buy another jacket (and that is reasonably priced to boot). Perhaps some therapy is in order? But..........enjoy! Jay, I am not knocking your jackets, looks like good stuff at the price point!
Plain and simple: there remains an appetite for all walks of jackets from me. I browse for Gibson & Barnes all the time too, as I like those a lot. I love Good Wears to the max but this one struck a nerve, and was looking for a chrome-tanned A-2 with a nice cut. At $350 (which is still a lot of dough but tiny in this hobby) it is worth a try, and one attempt to stay somewhat frugal and try something new.

Skyhawk

I'd like to think that these jackets are above entry level. With parts like double barrel hooks, and the 100% wool knits are absolutely fantastic. There is something special with the yarn they use with these. Everybody loves them. Including me. No joke about that. I am trying to push the boundary of what can be done. Things will only get better. I am pretty happy with the start.

ZuZu

This is something that happens because the order of sewing is incorrect. An original A-2 from WW2 probably wouldn't have passed inspection with this flaw- part of the lining isn't sewn in. The random stitch lines you might see on some original zipper tapes is from the way the jacket was assembled but always the construction would be solid. For the price it's a great jacket but this is a pretty big mistake and unfixable cleanly. IMO
20230926_140803-XL.jpg

Skyhawk

Hey, no worries, I was posting somewhat lightheartedly. I DO understand and have suffered from the illness!!!!!!
Wait until the Bronco comes out. It will be a full blown pandemic
Just kidding! It's looking good though so far.

Last edited:

asiamiles

I am not familiar with that jacket. We used an original Aero 18775 to make our reproduction. Maybe they did too, and that's why the similarities. Our production is explained in the first post in thread. Here are some shots of the Aero as I was taking measurements:
You seem to be referring to the Arlo, where as I was referring to the jacket pictured in my post. Here's the Buzz that the design resembles...

junky1.jpg

Buzz gave it a SAT label, so I don't know if it was copied from an SAT commercial jacket or they did that on whim!

junky3.jpg

Last edited: