• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Enigma1938

I have both, a first gen. Avi G1 and now the M422.
(I don't know how the current leather looks or feels on their G1's)
The difference in the leathers is pretty big! The G1 has a relatively thick sturdy goat hide with lots of character after almost two years of wear. The color ist a very dark brown, almost black but not historical incorrect.
The M422 has a thinner way more supple goat with a consistent smooth surface throughout. I wear it constantly for 3 days now and there appears a light break in - grain on some spots already. I think it will age great after months or years. Of course it's chrome tanned so the leather will never develop a depth in color like the veg tanned hides back then but you can't expect that for 300 bucks. The color here is lighter, a bit like chocolate brown.

There is just very little high point wear that appeared on my G1on particularly stressed spots but nothing bad or nothing that a original doesn't shows up also.

Harris_HTM

I have both, a first gen. Avi G1 and now the M422.
(I don't know how the current leather looks or feels on their G1's)
The difference in the leathers is pretty big! The G1 has a relatively thick sturdy goat hide with lots of character after almost two years of wear. The color ist a very dark brown, almost black but not historical incorrect.
The M422 has a thinner way more supple goat with a consistent smooth surface throughout. I wear it constantly for 3 days now and there appears a light break in - grain on some spots already. I think it will age great after months or years. Of course it's chrome tanned so the leather will never develop a depth in color like the veg tanned hides back then but you can't expect that for 300 bucks. The color here is lighter, a bit like chocolate brown.

There is just very little high point wear that appeared on my G1on particularly stressed spots but nothing bad or nothing that a original doesn't shows up also.
Thanks, I also contacted Avi for more information regarding their current G1's.

Brettafett

Star Sportswear G-1 will be next.
This is great, as 55J14 pattern does not work for everyone... (wide shoulders, trim torso)
Star is a more balanced pattern, very comfy and sensible (wish I'd kept my original)...

I like that they will have a good cross-section of USN jackets.
M-422A (41 to 43), 55J14 G-1 (47 to 50s) and then the later Star Sportswear (late 60s potentially).
WWII, Korea and Vietnam ;)
Similar, but yet different. Showing the slight evolution of the design (hopefully)...

pierregloom

May be that should help about the leather color, I don't know if it's the picture, but it seems a touch lighter on their current version of the G1. But once again it's maybe just the picture, even if at first sight I thought it was the M422a, but the pockets looks different.
http://instagr.am/p/CZonib3sb3d/

Enigma1938

May be that should help about the leather color, I don't know if it's the picture, but it seems a touch lighter on their current version of the G1. But once again it's maybe just the picture, even if at first sight I thought it was the M422a, but the pockets looks different.
http://instagr.am/p/CZonib3sb3d/

Well even the photo description says it's a G1 I would assert it's a M422 because of the pointed collar. G1 is more rounded and a little shorter.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Just saw this... help us to improve...

Lets go gents. Have you say and maybe offer some suggestions of future jackets?

Brettafett

I still have my Monarch and I have samples, new and older of ELC's M-422A and G-1 goat.
I still have the M-422A I first received from AVI also, to compare.
My jacket should be in my hands this week apparently.

pierregloom

Just a few words to tell you that I've received my updated M422A size 38, and IT'S AMAZING !!! (I can't take pictures this today, but I will soon).
First of all : the size is much more snug, and that's what I wanted, fits really good with a long sleeves t-shirt on a tank-top, it looks great zipped and opened, I wanted it to be like that.
I've also tried with a light sweat -shirt (over what I was already wearing, so 3 layers), I can zip it too, even if it's really really snug, but not unwearable, so, great !
Even if the 40 was not bad in size, I prefer to have it like that, snug, some may prefer a more comfy look, some this one, I prefer like that. As somebody said in another thread the best jacket is the one you wear, and I think I will wear the 38 much than the 40. That's for the size.
Ah, and something good, the jacket is great too zipped when I sit down.

For everything else, according to me it really is a different jacket than the previous version.
- The leather is different, I wouldn't be able to say if it's thicker or not, I love the color that is more like a "dark chocolate". It feels great, souple, with no weird smell (I love the smell of the mouton collar).
- The collar is the same color as my first jacket, but unlike @Enigma1938 , I would say mine is a bit more reddish, different size but I think it goes with the fact that it's a 38.
- The rayon lining is less red salmon and more red, a bit darker, like pictures of some G&F jackets. Maybe somebody who knows more than me about it should be more precise with originals comparison.
- The new seems that wasn't there on the first version mentioned by @Enigma1938 add a lot of accuracy to the jacket, like the two sizes of the pockets, and so does the hanger, now in the right place.

I think I've said enough for now, I going back to try it on and on again, Morten has done a great great work, and was very patient with me, customer service with Avi Leather is awesome, I don't think I had that kind of service with an webshop before.

Hope you guys will be as happy as I am today, I was really worried about good sizing and the differences between the previous and the updated jacket, and I think now I've got a great first jacket in my collection !!!

pierregloom

The first comparison pics : a lot of sun today, it's always different in pictures, but I think we can see a few differences.
IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

pierregloom

My sweet photographer is at work right now, but I sure will do that guys, when she comes back !
Maybe this evening or tomorrow morning ;).
I just tried it on again and it is like a second skin, I think the leather is a little bit thicker, but is also souple, so it feels great, and today we have a kind of Spring weather with sun and 12-14 degrees (C), it's nice with a long sleeve shirt over a tank-top, in the garden. It would be great with this light to take pictures but alone it's not easy...

I guess I'm a more "snug fit" or "trim fit" guy concerning jacket sizes.
I had seen pictures of @chamboid and @nkang both wearing a M422A jacket with that kind of fit, and that was what I was looking for.
What I see in the mirror makes me think that it is a similar fit on me, and it really pleases me !
- https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/who-makes-the-best-m-422a.14526/page-2
- https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/review-steve-sellers-w-g-m422a-jacket-size-42.21437/

Last edited:

B-Man2

Yeah I was wondering about that myself . Sort of chalked it up to interpretive differences . ;)

pierregloom

Sorry is that a word just for women ? :rolleyes:
I meant something like that :
Capture d’écran 2022-02-17 à 16.09.16.png

In french a "débardeur"...
I'm curious to know what meant what I said !

Brettafett

Ahhhhh, yes that makes more sense to me now. I know that as a 'vest' (South African), but that is a Tank top here in the UK.
That makes a flight jacket a literal second skin!