• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

B-Man2

I guess I’m thinking that if the weather is hot enough for a tank top …. Is a jacket really wearable . Now on the other hand if it is cool enough for a jacket , I think a T-shirt would be my first choice . I mean once your armpits start to sweat in a tank top, that sweat, stains and odor is going right into the lining of that nice new jacket. Dump the tank top and wear a T-shirt .

pierregloom

I guess I’m thinking that if the weather is hot enough for a tank top …. Is a jacket really wearable . Now on the other hand if it is cool enough for a jacket , I think a T-shirt would be my first choice . I mean once your armpits start to sweat in a tank top, that sweat, stains and odor is going right into the lining of that nice new jacket. Dump the tank top and wear a T-shirt .
I said I will try, but just to try, I'm not the kind of guy who wears just a tank-top. In winter I appreciate it layered with something else.
And I think I'm going to cherish this first leather repro jacket that made me wait and worry a lot ! ;)

Brettafett

Whoopah!
A nice Mr DHL-man just handed me a package.
Apologies for the piss-poor lighting fellas (and ladies), its the end of the day here, getting dark and still working ;(
.... but had to show this off. First impressions. Great!
I can certainly see/ feel some improvements. Collar is better. Leather is slightly thicker, maybe, but there is definelty more grain and character on this.
Will go over in better light and will do a review in due course.
AVIm422aGF.jpg

Flightengineer

Whoopah!
A nice Mr DHL-man just handed me a package.
Apologies for the piss-poor lighting fellas (and ladies), its the end of the day here, getting dark and still working ;(
.... but had to show this off. First impressions. Great!
I can certainly see/ feel some improvements. Collar is better. Leather is slightly thicker, maybe, but there is definelty more grain and character on this.
Will go over in better light and will do a review in due course.
View attachment 74990

I like how it fits you

pierregloom

I agree, the grain of the leather makes the jacket more "alive" than the first one, that and the collar shades and new color of the lining was the first things I noticed that made me say whoa it's beautiful when I opened the package, it's a win for Avi Leather ! (and on the point of the customer service too :) ).

pierregloom

Brett & Pierre, congratulations! The new jacket is defo an improvement, it looks great. Pierre, in my subjective view I preferred the looser look of the 40 on you, but the 38 works too and it's YOUR jacket. I also can't know how they FEEL based on photos.
;)
I have the feeling that I'm maybe between the two sizes, but also that wearing it, that 38 will stretch a bit and loosen up with time.
And the differences between the previous and updated version make me prefer how it looks and feel with the 38.
I prefer to have a jacket that adapts to my body (once again I feel the leather is really souple) and when I see I can wear it with a layer of a long sleeves tshirt + a light sweatshirt, I think the leather will change with time.
Maybe I'm wrong, but only wearing time can say it...

Peter242

;)
I have the feeling that I'm maybe between the two sizes, but also that wearing it, that 38 will stretch a bit and loosen up with time.
And the differences between the previous and updated version make me prefer how it looks and feel with the 38.
I prefer to have a jacket that adapts to my body (once again I feel the leather is really souple) and when I see I can wear it with a layer of a long sleeves tshirt + a light sweatshirt, I think the leather will change with time.
Maybe I'm wrong, but only wearing time can say it...
Hi Pierre, on istragram the picture of your old M422 looks much more brown than the new one - but on your comparison pictures aboves here look nearly the same. All through the different lightning ? Glad that you like the new fit and look. Greetings Peter

pierregloom

Hi Pierre, on istragram the picture of your old M422 looks much more brown than the new one - but on your comparison pictures aboves here look nearly the same. All through the different lightning ? Glad that you like the new fit and look. Greetings Peter
Hi Peter, I remember that I may have used a filter on Instagram picture (a kind of old picture look) the jackets are more seal/chocolate brown for real. But the new one, as said by @Brettafett, has more grain and feels better in look and touch .

Peter242

Hi Peter, I remember that I may have used a filter on Instagram picture (a kind of old picture look) the jackets are more seal/chocolate brown for real. But the new one, as said by @Brettafett, has more grain and feels better in look and touch .
Thanks - i´ve allready orderd a test jacket in Size 48 to check some measurements as i´ve got to go for some changes (shorter arms, longer body)....hopefully it will arrive soon :)

Enigma1938

Pierre and Brett, congratulations you both received some pretty nice jackets. I preferred the look of the size 40 on you also Pierre, that's the look I'm totally after but I fear I just don't have the body shape for it. It's the classic ww2 look we can admire on a hundred photos from back then. But hey, it's your jacket, your body, your choice. If you're happy with the 38 I'm happy too.
What I've noticed is that the knitted waistband looks longer at the smaller sized jacket, on my 44 it appears shorter. I think the knit is the same on all the jackets but gives an optical illusion on the different sizes.

I wear my M422a constantly for 2 weeks now, at least 8 hours a day. I wear it at work ( I'm a precision mechanic so the jacket receives enough movements and wear) so I think I can already say a few words about the durability of AVI's jackets. The leather starts to "break in" what doesn't mean it's getting more supple because it was that right from the start, it means that the jacket slowly begins to develop a beautiful grain on some areas and the sleeves have gained the well known creases. The jacket also slowly molds to my body, what makes it even more comfortable. There was a specific smell to the jacket when it arrived, a mixture of chemical and leather scent, but that almost vanished over the time. There's just a light leather smell left.
One button on the pockets has to be resewn because it came loose.
Actually the only thing I have to criticize are the knits. The cuffs became "fluffy" nodular all over and the waistband is a little too tight in the back area so the jacket tends to wander up when worn and it pulls the leather together a bit too much what slightly disturbs the overall look, it just don't wants loosen up. I'm not sure how long the knits will last, future will bring it up.

pierregloom

Fantastic jacket Pierre, I think being tall and slim you can carry either that or the 40 off
Looks really nice
That's what I think, and to add a precision, I've got a civilian leather jacket that is a bit too big for me, that I wear for winter, it's comfy and warm but the loose look is not so good according to me... The size 40 made me feel a bit the same, even if it was not as loose as my civilian jacket. This is one of the reasons why I tend to prefer a more fitted jacket.

I also like a lot the way pilots wearing original wore their jackets, like a lot of member here. But some pilots seems to have worn snug jackets too, and I found it great this way too.

For example I found theses pictures were the pilot on the left wears a quite trim jacket compared to the 2 other men (wearing G1 I guess, these Sea Knights helicopters are from the 60's if I'm not wrong) and I found it great :
Capture d’écran 2022-02-18 à 14.39.58.png

Capture d’écran 2022-02-18 à 14.40.21.png

His jacket is very damaged compared to the two other guys by the way !

And on this picture, even if the pilot is wearing his parachute, the jacket seems to be fitter than other ones worn during war time :
Capture d’écran 2022-02-18 à 14.38.55.png

I see the same folds around the zipper on my jacket, and I like the fit too. This photo is beautiful BTW.

I find arguments for the trim fit and read yours for the loose fit, and choice was hard.
I guess the moral of the story is that I'm going to need other jackets of different types and sizes, so no more worrying about whether I made the right choice or not! :D

Sorry for the long story, I go back to wear the heck out of my jacket inside, the storm outside is a bit to much for a brand new jacket !
(but I really like that we can have that kind of discussion here ;)).

Last edited: