• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Enigma1938

The hanger is on the correct position now:
20220208_223408.jpg

McNally

Well now I definitely want one.

I'm only concerned about sizing. Based on what I've read I might want to consider ordering a size up and I'm already a 48.

Enigma1938

Well now I definitely want one.

I'm only concerned about sizing. Based on what I've read I might want to consider ordering a size up and I'm already a 48.

From my experience I can honestly say that you should definitely go one size up with your normal / standard jacket size. The particular M422a is meant to be worn relaxed, definitely not trim, based on hundreds of wartime photos.
I just would contact Morten and tell him your thoughts about sizing and I'm sure he will find a way to help you through this.

Last edited:

McNally

From my experience I can honestly say that you should definitely go one size up with your normal / standard jacket size. The particular M422a is meant to be worn relaxed, definitely not trim, based on hundreds of wartime photos.
I just would contact Morten and tell him your thoughts about sizing and I'm sure he will find a way to help you through this.
Looks like I won't have to, size 50 has been added to the drop-down for the M422a, so hooray!

Enigma1938

Great addition! These seemingly small nuances are very important (at least for me). Your jacket looks better now for sure.

Thank you. I'm a detail freak so I try to bring out the most possible authenticity out on any jacket no matter if high end or entry level.
So I will start a hunt for a original maker label next time...

pierregloom

Little question to the aficionados of the mouton collar : As mentioned by @Enigma1938 the collar looks a touch darker on this updated jacket, do you think it may change from one jacket to another? I've noticed that on the updated size 38 shown in the pics Morten sent to @Peter242 the collar doesn't look as dark. May be it's just the difference of light on the pictures, but I prefer when it's a clearer tone.
My real question is : how tends to change the color of the fur when aging?

I can't wait for mine to arrive, but no sign of a shipment for the moment, and as we can see a lot of activity around AVI since a few weeks, I guess it may take more time... Wait'n see !

Brettafett

Maybe it is slightly darker, batches of everything tend to vary. I also prefer the classic mid brown tone.
Depending... One can always have the mouton swopped out with some original vintage mouton, not hard to find.

What I intend to do over the Summer, is leave the jacket in a Sunny spot, with a t-shirt covering the lining so its doesn't fade, but the collar exposed to the Sun.
I want to see how much fading happens... It should lighten a little. Experiment.

Enigma1938

What I intend to do over the Summer, is leave the jacket in a Sunny spot, with a t-shirt covering the lining so its doesn't fade, but the collar exposed to the Sun.
I want to see how much fading happens... It should lighten a little. Experiment.

That's exactly what I've planned to do with some of my repro jackets to get rid of the new look without washing it to death. Sun will do the job the natural way. Well I just hope it will shine again one day....

Flightengineer

It should lighten up. Some of the respected experts restoring the original G-1 did this, I don’t remember exactly who. This method should work.

At one time when I changed the mouton on my original 1958 G-1, I also considered this possibility, but in the end I just found the exact same faded color mouton as on the original, but it was not easy.

pierregloom

May be wearing my upcoming jacket during my gliding flight lessons will help to lighten up the collar color..!
That's the way they used it back in the days, with a bit more of power engine in front of them though :D !

Enigma1938

Well navy jackets in general were supposed to fade. The environment on the open sea was harsh to the materials. Salty air, burning sun.... we all know how easy you can catch a sunburn on sea....

Last edited:

Harris_HTM

For owners of both Avi's current G1 and M422: is there a significant difference in the leather? Mainly regarding thickness and what colours shows off at wear points? Thanks in advance!