• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I feel an A-2 coming on ...

watchmanjimg

Roughwear said:
Having owned all the ELC original maker jackets ( and I still own a Werber and a Monarch) and several GW A2s I don't completely agree with this sweeping statement about ELC and GW. The current crop of GWs made from the Japanese hh are excellent accurate repros but this was not the case with all the earlier ones. My ELC Werber is made of grainy Warhorse leather and is as good as any GW in terms of fit, accuracy etc.. I'm also delighted with my GW Dubow and 1939 Werber. GW offers a wider range of original maker jackets than ELC or Aero so John Lever has a wider choice with GW.

I'm not sure one can objectively talk about a "superior fit" as there never has been an ideal fit for an A2 (I'm not talking about the blousy mall jacket fit!) Wartime pictures show an enormous variation in fit. John's jackets are custom-made and provided you get the measurements right they fit well (but this is not always the case as members here know to their cost!).

Andrew:

I definitely respect your knowledge and experience regarding A-2s as you seemingly either own or have owned examples from practically every known maker. :D

I admit having a bit of bias toward GW, but this is based on at least some personal experience with jackets from numerous other makers. You make a valid point as to the improvements reflected in JC's current product, but then again that's what John would be getting should he decide to order from GW.

I contend that there is indeed an ideal A-2 fit, which of course depends entirely on individual requirements. My comments regarding the "superior fit" of a GW stemmed from one's ability to provide JC with measurements and specific requests as to sizing. I brought this up because I have the impression that a custom jacket would better suit John's athletic build. While no doubt everyone makes mistakes once in a while, JC seems to have nailed my fit rather easily where other makers have fallen short.

I suppose in the end it's a win-win situation for John as he'll likely end up with a nice jacket whichever way he goes.

rich

John Lever said:
I like the athletic build part.

If your chest measurement exceeds your waist measurement, you're athletic!!! Good luck with it John - how about splashing some of that cash on a Buzz L-2, the most comfortable flight jacket you'll ever own................ ;)

TankBuster

Before buying the Werber, I would wait for Andrews review of the new Cable. I think they have a winner with that one. I liked the ELC Werber that I had. It fit my build well, and I loved the hide color. However, for my personal build, my GW Dubow fit better. I think it's tough to determine the perfect jacket until you actually get one on. Everyone is different, and what may be a perfect jacket, maker, cut, leather, for one person, may not be the case for you. Confused yet! :lol:

asiamiles

TankBuster said:
Before buying the Werber, I would wait for Andrews review of the new Cable. I think they have a winner with that one. I liked the ELC Werber that I had. It fit my build well, and I loved the hide color. However, for my personal build, my GW Dubow fit better.

I have a BR Dubow and the collar definitely gives the Dubow a different look to the other A-2's. You may want to take a look and see if you think it's your look.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
We're not exactly making it easy for him, are we now? :lol: :lol:
Ah well, that's part of the fun!!

John posted to get a few opinions on an A-2 he fancied, that he could buy down the road, and return, or exchange if he didn't like the fit. I'm guessing that it's just a stop gap whilst he sits on his pile of money, patiently waiting for additions to his beloved shearlings collection.

As an experienced collector, I don't think he needs advice on the best A-2's from around the globe ... and he's bought from Good Wear before, so he knows what this entails. So yeah, maybe it's part of the fun, but is it helpful? :?

A

Anonymous

I think it's worth recognising that just as Good Wear have improved massively, so have Eastman as far as A-2's go.

But how can you have an original maker A-2 that is custom fitted ..... ? :? The whole 'no compromise' thing over details is wiped out by having it tailored IMVHO. And as Andrew so rightly put it, there was no one true fit. That is an affectation that some of us have chosen to believe but which is nowhere near historically correct.

Dave

John Lever

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I think it's worth recognising that just as Good Wear have improved massively, so have Eastman as far as A-2's go.

But how can you have an original maker A-2 that is custom fitted ..... ? :? The whole 'no compromise' thing over details is wiped out by having it tailored IMVHO. And as Andrew so rightly put it, there was no one true fit. That is an affectation that some of us have chosen to believe but which is nowhere near historically correct.

Dave
Very valid point there as the photos testify there was no true fit.
The currency rates and taxes will be a decider here I think.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
But how can you have an original maker A-2 that is custom fitted ..... ? :? The whole 'no compromise' thing over details is wiped out by having it tailored IMVHO.

Thankyou Dave .... I was thinking it was just me. I'm noticing a lot of long, narrow A-2's that seem to have lost there traditional boxy look.

Tall WW11 airmen were issued a size larger, not told to come back later for one 2" longer.

rich

Thankyou Dave .... I was thinking it was just me. I'm noticing a lot of long, narrow A-2's that seem to have lost there traditional boxy look.

Tall WW11 airmen were issued a size larger, not told to come back later for one 2" longer.

Yes, but by the same token aircrew wouldn't have returned an Irvin to stores because the fleece was a bit too copper. If we wear these things from choice, rather than from necessity, I don't see why it's wrong to get one made that fits to your own satisfaction. But then again I'm the wuss who didn't want US NAVY on the back of my N-1.................. :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
If we wear these things from choice, rather than from necessity, I don't see why it's wrong to get one made that fits to your own satisfaction. But then again I'm the wuss who didn't want US NAVY on the back of my N-1.................. :lol:

That's coming from you, Rich. :)

And I agree, it's not wrong to get one made that fits ... but if you add too much length to a square, boxy jacket ... you no longer have a square, boxy jacket.

bseal

ELC is a good choice especially with your location.

However, knowing your athletic build, desire to wear the most comfortable and accurate reproduction available anywhere, at some point you might want to consider the Good Wear Star Sportswear A-2 in mid russet horsehide.

Roughwear

The GW Star is an awesome A2 and is far superior to the ELC version. It's on my wish list. :) Perhaps John will consider it along with other GWs when the time is right for him.

watchmanjimg

bseal said:
ELC is a good choice especially with your location.

However, knowing your athletic build, desire to wear the most comfortable and most accurate reproduction available anywhere, at some point you might want to consider the Good Wear Star Sportswear A-2 in mid russet horsehide.

Roughwear said:
The GW Star is an awesome A2 and is far superior to the ELC version. It's on my wish list. :) Perhaps John will consider it along with other GWs when the time is right for him.

This was basically what I was driving at earlier in the thread. Based on the foregoing it's hard for me to envision one being unhappy with a GW Star, while the plasticky ELC version didn't last long in my collection.

Roughwear

I was cautioning against making sweeping statements about the A2s from the three manufacturers. ELC make some excellent A2s, namely the Werber, Monarch and new Cable. Both ELC and JC have improved their A2s recently. ELC's warhorse is far superior to the characterless leather used on earlier versions of the Star. The most recent GWs are particularly fine reproductions, especially with the new hh and improved knits.

John Lever

The GW Star looks very nice, I like the russet aniline finish. It would stand me in about £900 after import duty though....

Tim P

beautiful as they are I dont think the price difference makes them THAT much better than a current (or very old) Eastman for a UK buyer.