• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I feel an A-2 coming on ...

Persimmon

Hi John,
The Werber's are the best.
I have a 33 Werber from Eastman.
Its a beauty and fits me so damn well.
Another beauty I have is the 39 Werber from Goodwear.

They are slim fitting so you do need the nest size up.
So if you're a 40 its a 42 etc.
The Caramel colour and the knits just add to that pre war feel.

What size are you ?
I read your posts and am constantly lost in your jacket world as I have only A2's. Well except for an A1.
You seem so knowledge in that sector and I can tell one Irvin from a B2 etc.
Now thats worth trying as well.
Mine is also from Eastman and is as light as can be as its Cape.
The summer months ahead (if we get any !!) are designed for this jacket. Just like a waistcoat.

Welcome aboard if you do buy the Werber
Alan

Roughwear

John Lever said:
I think I might have caught the A-2 bug.
I like the ELC Werber. Is it a good one to go for ?

John I'm amazed at this announcement. I always thought A2s were not your thing.

I would strongly recommned the ELC Werber. I have owned all ELC's original maker A2s and the Werber is my favourite, based on fit, colour of the leather and knits and accuracy. My size 42 Werber is a regular wearer and I really can't praise it enough.

havocpaul

A good choice, very different to other contracts, I was very impressed with the 'time worn' version I saw at Duxford last year. As stated, make sure you go a size up as they are very slim fitting!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I think I might have caught the A-2 bug.

Unbelievable .... and you're probably thinking that you'll buy just the one, and then walk away. :evil:

John Lever

Thanks for all the useful replies.
I have sold 6 jackets this year and now have room to fill and £3000 to play with ...

dadgad

My 1938 Aero has details pretty much similar.

That probably was the guide pattern for the period for all A2s.

1938A2.jpg

08.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

zoomer

It's all part of the same continuum, John. What makes an A-2 repop great isn't much different from what makes a sheepskin great - quality of materials, workmanship, affection for piddling little details - and a sense of that certain style that is not a style - but just how it was made and worn at an earlier time.

I would begin at the beginning with the Eastman Werber if I had it all to do over again.

John Lever

Persimmon said:
Hi John,
The Werber's are the best.
I have a 33 Werber from Eastman.
Its a beauty and fits me so damn well.
Another beauty I have is the 39 Werber from Goodwear.

They are slim fitting so you do need the nest size up.
So if you're a 40 its a 42 etc.
The Caramel colour and the knits just add to that pre war feel.

What size are you ?
I read your posts and am constantly lost in your jacket world as I have only A2's. Well except for an A1.
You seem so knowledge in that sector and I can tell one Irvin from a B2 etc.
Now thats worth trying as well.
Mine is also from Eastman and is as light as can be as its Cape.
The summer months ahead (if we get any !!) are designed for this jacket. Just like a waistcoat.

Welcome aboard if you do buy the Werber
Alan

I'm a 44.
I need some jackets to wear in Autumn/ Spring not just winter time.
My ELC RAF quest is over so I need something else to waste money on. I am also very tempted by the Few Crusaders jacket. £1000 though ....

better duck

Love my Werber. Allow me to post two pics, previously posted (the old hands will recognise them). Ther one on the left of it being brand new out of the box, the one on the right of it after hard wearing it, come rain of shine, for about a year:

IMG_2460A.jpg
IMG_2295A.jpg

Oh well, now that I'm at it: don't you love the patina (and the mismatched sleeves, the one being very grainy, the other one smooth):
IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

watchmanjimg

John Lever said:
I know others will say Goodwear, but as a complete novice, they would be wasted on me.

John:

Based on your apparent expertise concerning sheepskin jackets, I have no doubt that you'll quickly become just as particular about A-2s once you get your hands on one. With all due respect to the other posters, I'd say you'd be better served by ordering a Goodwear. In my opinion GW's superior fit (especially important with your build) and hide quality rank well above ELC, Aero, and other lesser brands. The only real competitor is Real McCoys/The Few at nearly twice the price last time I checked.

Get it right the first time! :D

CBI

watchmanjimg said:
John Lever said:
I know others will say Goodwear, but as a complete novice, they would be wasted on me.

John:

Based on your apparent expertise concerning sheepskin jackets, I have no doubt that you'll quickly become just as particular about A-2s once you get your hands on one. With all due respect to the other posters, I'd say you'd be better served by ordering a Goodwear. In my opinion GW's superior fit (especially important with your build) and hide quality rank well above ELC, Aero, and other lesser brands. The only real competitor is Real McCoys/The Few at nearly twice the price last time I checked.

I agree with above as you are already know so much about jackets. Sounds like you have the funds for a GW.

Roughwear

watchmanjimg said:
John Lever said:

John:

With all due respect to the other posters, I'd say you'd be better served by ordering a Goodwear. In my opinion GW's superior fit (especially important with your build) and hide quality rank well above ELC, Aero, and other lesser brands. The only real competitor is Real McCoys/The Few at nearly twice the price last time I checked.

Having owned all the ELC original maker jackets ( and I still own a Werber and a Monarch) and several GW A2s I don't completely agree with this sweeping statement about ELC and GW. The current crop of GWs made from the Japanese hh are excellent accurate repros but this was not the case with all the earlier ones. My ELC Werber is made of grainy Warhorse leather and is as good as any GW in terms of fit, accuracy etc.. I'm also delighted with my GW Dubow and 1939 Werber. GW offers a wider range of original maker jackets than ELC or Aero so John Lever has a wider choice with GW.

I'm not sure one can objectively talk about a "superior fit" as there never has been an ideal fit for an A2 (I'm not talking about the blousy mall jacket fit!) Wartime pictures show an enormous variation in fit. John's jackets are custom-made and provided you get the measurements right they fit well (but this is not always the case as members here know to their cost!).

Tim P

By the time john has bought and shipped a goodwear and paid customs on it there is scope for a second Eastman almost. I am not a fan of the Werber as it looks too atypical for ww2 and I would guide john to a monarch, minus inner pockets as a first 'maker' jacket due to the supple leather and forgiving, true to size fit. Get a 44 and it will be a 44. No sending measurements and sweating on the outcome.
Cable would be a superb choice too and all three jackets mentioned are in the lighter russet zone.

John Lever

I think the lead time and import duty may well shift me towards Eastman this time around, but if I get the taste then I could want a jacket from John at some point. I really like his shiny aniline horsehide and I know he pays huge attention to detail.