• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

Roughwear

MarcW said:
My total was 87.99 GBP shipped to the US, which at this moment converts to 141.74 USD.

unclegrumpy said:
Question....what did one of these books end up costing shipped to the US ? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Marc.

I'm wondering if the Acmedepot will be updated with the appearance of Gary's book?

MarcW

Thanks, Andrew. Not sure yet what I plan to do. For one thing, as I've explained over the last several years to people who've e-mailed me, I've moved on to other things in life and I am not really active in the jacket world (though my passion for them has not diminished). The site has been rather stagnant like an old dusty book in the depths of a quiet library. It shows its age from many early low res digital cameras and small images from the days when dial-up was the norm and pictures could be a burden.

And now, with Gary's book, I'm tempted to fully shut down and save a few bucks (or quid, if you prefer). But I also realize that not everyone will have Gary's book, so that may not be a good idea. I also think it is not appropriate to update everything A-2 with corrections and additional information from Gary's book since that was his work and it should sell his books not fill out my site. It's bad enough that much of what I wrote for my site has been lifted without my knowledge or permission and posted on Wikipedia and other places, so there's no way I'm going to put information from Gary's book in similar jeopardy of being so devalued.

Clearly, I am going to steer people to the book for more complete and authoritative information, but as for what changes I make to what exists, well, that's yet to been determined once I get a chance to absorb the book. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the book. Been a looooong time between jacket books.

Hope you'll excuse my rambling, but that's the story.

- Marc

I'm wondering if the Acmedepot will be updated with the appearance of Gary's book?

Chandler

MarcW said:
And now, with Gary's book, I'm tempted to fully shut down and save a few bucks (or quid, if you prefer).

Marc -- I think shutting down Acme Depot would be akin to closing a museum.

I've been into military history and memorabilia, with a penchant for A-2s, since I was a teenager in the late 70s. Back then any info was few and far between (as I'm sure you know).

When the internet became commonplace in the mid to late 90s one of my first searches was about flight jackets -- and there was Acme Depot. It's been a stalwart in the growing enthusiasm for vintage flight jackets over the years, even John Chapman will probably say it was a big influence on his burgeoning enterprise. It would be a shame to see it go.

ausreenactor

MarcW said:
Thanks, Andrew. Not sure yet what I plan to do. For one thing, as I've explained over the last several years to people who've e-mailed me, I've moved on to other things in life and I am not really active in the jacket world (though my passion for them has not diminished). The site has been rather stagnant like an old dusty book in the depths of a quiet library. It shows its age from many early low res digital cameras and small images from the days when dial-up was the norm and pictures could be a burden.

And now, with Gary's book, I'm tempted to fully shut down and save a few bucks (or quid, if you prefer). But I also realize that not everyone will have Gary's book, so that may not be a good idea. I also think it is not appropriate to update everything A-2 with corrections and additional information from Gary's book since that was his work and it should sell his books not fill out my site. It's bad enough that much of what I wrote for my site has been lifted without my knowledge or permission and posted on Wikipedia and other places, so there's no way I'm going to put information from Gary's book in similar jeopardy of being so devalued.

Clearly, I am going to steer people to the book for more complete and authoritative information, but as for what changes I make to what exists, well, that's yet to been determined once I get a chance to absorb the book. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the book. Been a looooong time between jacket books.

Hope you'll excuse my rambling, but that's the story.

- Marc

Marc's site was the basis of all my early research and was the enabler to my first two Aero & ELC purchases that led to all the original A-2 contracts by ELC and then the flying jacket continuum. My wife; however, has an alternate opinion of the Acme Depot. :roll:

Marc, I understand the shifting priorities in life and I just want to say thanks moving in that direction back then and for this direction today. Many are in debt to you. Some in debt thanks to you! ;) Look forward to more posts..

:D :D :D

Couchy

Acme Depot has been an indispensable part of the journey for many of us. Be a shame to see it go. And thanks to Marc for making it happen in the first place. (Or should I be thanking such a world-class enabler?) :lol:

Andrew

I have no idea how it might work or how Marc could be compensated for it perhaps it could be attached to this site somehow. It's such a great resource and undoubtably has a significant intellectual property value. Lets put a hat around.

MarcW

Thanks for all the kind words, gents. Not to worry, though. I won't be doing anything drastic anytime soon. If I'm good at anything, it's procrastination :D

Marc

art of a2

Just a reminder about this book: It is expensive as most things but ultimately is a 'first edition' and signed so this bodes well for the future. Don't think further copies will be. I'm sure there will be further 'runs' as I'm sure this book will sell like 'hot cakes'. When asked, Gary said that the book will only be available from Eastmans and as such don't expect to see it appear on Amazon etc etc. I've put my copy under the Christmas tree but I'm not sure I can hold out!!

Dr H

Dr H said:
Ordered mine today and asked in the notes, noting up to a 4 week delivery time, to try and deliver before Christmas please.
Hope they do.
When I spoke to Gary's dad this morning he did say they were all vacuum packed signed and sealed already so hopefully its just a matter of organising a trip to the Post Office to get them out

Mine's ordered too... :D[/quote]

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Order Dispatched

:D

blackrat2

Monkey see monkey do....mines ordered also....!
Marc your site is to me and many I guess,still a cracking site with pictures and plenty of information...like Chandler has eluded to a museum if you please.
Think both the book,johns cd and your site still serve a place to keep showing these jackets off in the esteem they deserve...just my opinion

TankBuster

blackrat2 said:
Monkey see monkey do....mines ordered also....!
Marc your site is to me and many I guess,still a cracking site with pictures and plenty of information...like Chandler has eluded to a museum if you please.
Think both the book,johns cd and your site still serve a place to keep showing these jackets off in the esteem they deserve...just my opinion

I couldn't agree more. Very well said.

Andrew

Dr H said:
Dr H said:
Ordered mine today and asked in the notes, noting up to a 4 week delivery time, to try and deliver before Christmas please.
Hope they do.
When I spoke to Gary's dad this morning he did say they were all vacuum packed signed and sealed already so hopefully its just a matter of organising a trip to the Post Office to get them out

Mine's ordered too... :D

:D[/quote]
Does this mean there's preferential treatment for domestic buyers? Hmm, where's my confirmation.... :evil:

B-Man2

Marc;

Your site was the first and only place I found informative data on A2's. Then I found the forum.
Closing down the Acmedepot would be a loss for anyone who is interested in the history of flight jackets

..............and really, what could you have possibly found to do with your life that would ever take priority over A2's !!! :lol:

Persimmon

Andrew said:
Dr H said:
Dr H said:
Hope they do.

Mine's ordered too... :D

:D

Does this mean there's preferential treatment for domestic buyers? Hmm, where's my confirmation.... :evil:[/quote]

I also have a Order despatch notice.
Perhaps it is for them easier to get out the free postage (UK) orders first ?

Andrew

Persimmon said:
I also have a Order despatch notice.
Perhaps it is for them easier to get out the free postage (UK) orders first ?

If I find out you fellas have lower issue numbers than mine there'll be a stink! ;)