• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

TOMG1401

How ironic that after all these years trying to find the right horsehide that had "The Look" of wartime jackets it turns out repro makers never really captured the look because they were mostly cow and not horse.

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
How ironic that after all these years trying to find the right horsehide that had "The Look" of wartime jackets it turns out repro makers never really captured the look because they were mostly cow and not horse.

No one knows how many jackets were made from Cowhide so I don't think you can say they were mostly made from cow.

Dr H

It does seem a little ironic in view of the furore that erupted at the Hat Place recently over steer/horse hide jackets at Aero.

269sqnhudson

Roughwear said:
Air Corps specifications 12028 ( 17 July 1940) and 12028-A (7th November 1940) are for the use of cow hide in the production of A2s. So the official date for the standardisation for Cowhide was 17th July 1940, although Werber had used it on the their 1939 contract A2. As Gary says "Potentially, any A-2 contract from then on( 17th July 1940) could have been made from this hide type-incredibly this encompasses 93% of all A-2 production."

Wow! Amazing that this hobby can make a big leap forward after so many years.

Cliff

Marv said:
Well now at least my ELC Pearl Harbor A2 in steerhide is authentic :)

Yeh ...so is mine now, yippeee !!!

With regard to the book and it's possible second hand value in a few years time, I think we may find that "an original" first 1000th publishing run copy may actually cost more to buy later on than it was when it was new.
Ten years time up on ebay for £195 + ... I'll bet !!! :roll:

Get one before they are all sold out is what I am thinking now !!!

cheers Cliff

A

Anonymous

While the official specification called for horsehide, and while most jackets probably were so made, there was a notable fraction of A-2's made of goatskin and perhaps other hides such as steer.

Steer is old news really. Remind you above from Marc D. Weinshenker's website.

269sqnhudson

PLATON said:
While the official specification called for horsehide, and while most jackets probably were so made, there was a notable fraction of A-2's made of goatskin and perhaps other hides such as steer.

Steer is old news really. Remind you above from Marc D. Weinshenker's website.

'Perhaps' is a pretty vague positive. Certainly a far way from the proof we now have.

B-Man2

Looks like the Eastman .50cal A2's, which are made from leather, are now on the "Authentic Reproductions List" as well. :D

Chandler

Roughwear said:
...even some tanneries passed off cow as horsehide to maintain their profits.

But, isn't it the general thinking that horsehide was cheaper than steer hide back then? Because there was surplus from the downturn of horses used in farming and cavalry due to motorized replacement.

Just a theory I once heard, I don't know if it's true.

Chandler

PLATON said:
Despite the historical accuracy of the steerhide, I do not foresee any change in the preference of the fans for horsehide.

I don't know, I have A-2s in all three hides and I like them all. Nice to change them up often.

Roughwear

Gary reproduces a letter from the Chicago Tanning Company dated 14 Sept 1931 where it is stated that a garment made of cow hide is 35-50 cents cheaper than a garment made from horsehide. The company also states "on account of the great quantity of cows in this country, cowhide leather can be turned out in quantities and all of the leather will be uniform in weight and quality."

Chandler

Roughwear said:
"on account of the great quantity of cows in this country, cowhide leather can be turned out in quantities and all of the leather will be uniform in weight and quality."

Another ancient myth busted. I sure wish Gary had come out with this info about 10 years ago!

Interesting that they state cowhide would be more uniform (key word there) and the army still chose horse as its preferred hide.

B-Man2

I'm guessing that horsehide was the first choice because it had better water repellent properties than steer and since they were flying open cockpits in the 30's it afforded a little more protection.

Roughwear

Gary says "Horsehide was without doubt the first and only hide type specified for the A-2 in 1931-this came under specification 12015. The tight cell structure of the skin made it most appropriate for purpose, giving it a combination of superior qualities, such as good resistance to absorbency and abrasion. It was also supple, and the hides were generally large, affording an excellent cutting yield."

Chandler

Roughwear said:
...giving it a combination of superior qualities, such as good resistance to absorbency and abrasion.

Really? Some of the aniline finished HH I saw from ELC back in the early-2000s wasn't exactly resistant to absorbancy and abrasion. And take a look at Jimmy Stewart's A2 -- that gem has abrasion to spare for all the A2s!

On the other hand, my ELC 1401 (non-aniline) is about as bullet-proof as you might see in a leather jacket. But I also have a few steerhide jackets that would give the 1401 a run for its money!