• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

blackrat2

Fingers crossed mine arrives today...am on a day off and my other half is on nights will be good reading with a hefty red wine to hand!

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Mine has arrived, and I'm allowed to open it... :p
Going to open and savour it with a cup of tea now...

Wait...don't believe it...number 1000!
What are the odds of that happening?! :twisted:

Ah no, my mistake... 293...memorable :roll:

Kewl...a whole chapter on DNA analysis...sequences and everything...guys! Guys!
...er...I'll get my anorak... :oops:

Well, it's very, very good and extremely comprehensive in its coverage...

£70 well spent... :D

Number 1000 is not to be.
Just ... 224

Now do i start reading now or save it for Christmas Day ?

Rutger

omarco said:
anyone else wonder why, given Gary's obvious comprehensive knowledge of the A2, the Eastman A2's fall slightly short in terms of reproducing the finer details of certain contracts? its clearly not because of a lack of knowledge on his part.

oh yes, absolutely I do wonder, it is the million dollar question. Well, give Gary a call, and let us know ;) .

NW Carver

Mmmm...not having a good time...the UKMail company (not Royal Mail) have tried to deliver the book but missed me - I was at work - so I re-scheduled for them to deliver to the neighbor and they have missed that too.. :(

Trying to phone them, I can't get through and if I want to redirect it to my work address then I have to get Gary to redirect it...oh well, looks like I will have to wait a little while longer to get my hands on it :(

Persimmon

Rutger said:
omarco said:
anyone else wonder why, given Gary's obvious comprehensive knowledge of the A2, the Eastman A2's fall slightly short in terms of reproducing the finer details of certain contracts? its clearly not because of a lack of knowledge on his part.

oh yes, absolutely I do wonder, it is the million dollar question. Well, give Gary a call, and let us know ;) .

Perhaps it could looked at ..

In the distant/recent past the designs and quality offered were acceptably high to the vast majority of the buying population.
Simply we did not know better (except for the odd few where originals were to hand to allow comparision etc etc) and even then no one else was offering better repro's to buy.

Also economies of scale in production.
If you look at several contracts they are very similar in ways that they should not be ..but that does mean (allow) it is easier/cheaper to produce on the production line leading to deliveries in weeks rather than (the Goodwear year wait)

Also economies in cost
Buying a hand made (Goodwear) is dearer than the "normal" Eastman contracts so you pay for what you get.
Of course they do offer now Elite versions that are far higher in cost due in a strong part to handmade expenses such as badges, artificial aging etc

Perhaps another viewpoint to consider is that to change the whole range to make it "Goodwear" accurate would not only involve additional costs but render all the current stock out of date and that would include all the items shipped.

Its a bit like seeing one of these TV commercials advertising a product
Viewers here at last is New Improved ....XXXXXX
Of course it is feed in the mindset that you only want to have the new ones and it sort
of implies (reading between the lines ...the old stuff is rubbish...)

I am sure Gary will endeavour to increase the accuracy in time but that will involve additional costs and then lots of folks will start complaining.
I guess he knows his customers and how and with what to market to them.
He seems to have a good strong business (proftable) working model with cash flow (full payment) always coming in to the coffers in weeks rather than a more limited handmade Goodwear model of far smaller finished quantities with full payment and a order book extending to months/years with partial payments (deposits)

Just some thoughts. I am sure other folks will have additional ideas, perhaps better as well

havocpaul

Just to add, am pleased to see the book was printed and bound locally to ELC in Plymouth; rare these days when almost all books are printed in China and the like. Btw, my number is 248, I also asked Gary to sign and dedicate it which he did as I wasn't able to get to the launch last weekend.

CBI

Mine shipped today.

Economics - Its my understanding that in the past, Gary tweaked patterns for the more modern fitting man. A size 42 A-2 might really be a size 42 jacket but with a 44 chest (or, a size 44 with a 42 body - whatever). There is certainly an Eastman "cut" which makes this company's work always recognizable. Its always an ELC Werber or ELC Cable repro instead of a Werber repro. Still, great quality stuff and thanks to them for promoting this great style of clothing, history. The more recent specific contact offerings do look closer to the real deal than in the past.

Anyway - back to topic - looking forward to the book.............

SuinBruin

At least one mistake in the book....

The cover says "For Use by Authorised Personnel Only."

If you're going for the look of an "official" USAAF manual, you have use the American spelling. Stick a zed in that "authorised," Mr. Eastman! :lol:

unclegrumpy

SuinBruin said:
If you're going for the look of an "official" USAAF manual, you have use the American spelling. Stick a zed in that "authorised," Mr. Eastman! :lol:
Touché!

I do think you are slipping a bit though....shouldn't non UK customers be getting their books sent to them less the VAT ? :twisted:

havocpaul

No VAT on books! I notice can't spell 'fourth' in the book, spelt as 'forth' or is that Amercanenglish? Seriously though, an exhaustive tome as they say in the publishing world..well done Gary and thanks.

Andrew

TankBuster said:
My confirmation of shipment came in last night. It looks like U.S. orders are being dispatched as well. ;)
Same here. Rest of the world 3 days later. Looking forward to it.

Persimmon

unclegrumpy said:
SuinBruin said:
Touché!

I do think you are slipping a bit though....shouldn't non UK customers be getting their books sent to them less the VAT ? :twisted:

Edit

SuinBruin

havocpaul said:
No VAT on books!
Good to know, now I can buy a copy with a clear conscience. :mrgreen:
havocpaul said:
I notice can't spell 'fourth' in the book, spelt as 'forth' or is that Amercanenglish? Seriously though, an exhaustive tome as they say in the publishing world..well done Gary and thanks.
4th = fourth, or as in "go forth and conquer"?