• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket Scarves

Whatsit

Anyone wearing any neat repro flight jacket scarves or vintage ones with their jackets as it’s getting cooler outside?
62DC767C-81E1-4365-BBCB-8C241FD69C53.jpeg

Edward

a little bit too flamboyant in today's society for my tastes but then I'm no fashionista. Seems very metrosexual and I'm a plain Jane kind of guy. I so hated wearing scarves during winter when I was a kid. certainly not starting now. :D

Whatsit

I wore a Tottenham Hot spurs scarf for years. If you tie it the correct way and not the currently fashionable way then it’s still old school like Bader tied his above.

Smithy

Bader in the photo above is wearing a polka dot silk scarf tied like a cravat. Contrary to popular belief RAF types didn't wear cravats to fly in as they don't protect the neck enough from chafing. It was exceedingly common though to wear a silk scarf which was tied in the same manner. The silk scarves that were used were a heftier silk than what you'll see with men's silk scarves today and very often had a silk side with the pattern which was backed on the other with a side which was made of fine wool. Tootal was a common brand as was Duggie. Polka dots, paisley, stripes, and other geometric patterns were all very popular.

I have this one which I wear fairly often. It's closest I have found in a modern scarf to the feel and weight of a WWII era one.

pP4f4iX.png

Silver Surfer

on occasion, i will don an original wwll aaf scarf. i have a plain jane white [a little yellowish with age] one, a cbi dated one in blue, and a tiger scarf. obviously, they are not every day wearers, but when the mood strikes wearers.

crism1

The silk scarves that were used were a heftier silk than what you'll see with men's silk scarves today and very often had a silk side with the pattern which was backed on the other with a side which was made of fine wool.

Interesting design choice. Is it possible to find similar scarves (not vintage)?

stanier

Woweee!! Look at the price of those Drake’s scarves!!:oops:

nice find and thanks Skanstull, but £245!!

Smithy

Hey @Smithy i really like those A10 gloves too. Where did you find those?

They are the MASH ones from Japan and they're brilliant.

I have a cheap one very similar

Interesting design choice. Is it possible to find similar scarves (not vintage)?

The problem with nearly all the modern ones is that the silk is very, very thin, very, very slippery and soft and lacks the weight to be tied in the manner that they were worn during WWII.

Yes, Drake's for example do reversible silk/wool scarves (such as this https://www.drakes.com/accessories/...sic-spot-print-reversible-wool-and-silk-scarf).

Once again this is a modern silk scarf and not really true to what they were like back in the day. The wool mix will probably help in tying it and keeping it from slipping but as I mention above with true 1930s/1940s era silk scarves these were either a heftier, less shiny silk and if they had wool, this was as a separate side to the scarf, so one side was the silk with the pattern, the other side was a fine wool. These silk one side, wool the other were often considered to be the best.

Plus the price for that is simply ludicrous!

MikeyB-17

It’s gone and warmed up and gone wet down here so the B-3 is stood down and no need for scarves. When I do, it’s usually a British army style Shemagh, or a Harrods cashmere check job I picked up for £2.50 in a charity shop.

Smithy

Speaking of scarves one of my absolute favourites is this one I bought from a guy on the side of the road when we lived in Santiago in Chile. I can remember it cost virtually nothing (think less than a buck or a pound) but it's one of the nicest, softest, hard wearing scarves I've had. It's wool of some kind, probably llama or something.

Wvnx8oi.jpg

Smithy

Damn that Irvin is sexy af. What do you think about the Aero Silk scarves?

I can't comment on them as I haven't handled one.

The two modern made ones which were the most like vintage wartime ones in terms of heft and how they behave that I have found were those made by John Comfort and the one in the photo above which I can't remember the maker - although I'll drag it out later and see what it says on the label.

jack31916

I usually wear one of these, very happy with it and I always get a kick out of wearing original WWII stuff...

Got nothing to do with Jeeps but very good scarf for a very good price. You van turn them into a cap as well. Check on Google for Cap Comforter ;)