• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket Scarves

CombatWombat

I suspect someone on here probably has a parachute, didn't Couchy have an A2 with that lining ?
He did have one with a parachute lining.....
For some odd reason, alot of pre 00's disposal/camping stores had a supply of "frogskin" silk parachutes......God knows how so many came to be in Australia.....but they were in almost every camping store from Wollongong up to Newcastle and they weren't stupidly expensive o_O
I don't know if Trevor's lining was one of them or he just happened to get a A2 made up like that.

MauldinFan

I once talked with a 8th AF P47 pilot vet and he said his CO was adamant that the pilots NOT wear scarves because it was such a cliche.
But as for those fabric maps, I really wish someone made reproductions of the ETO ones...

Otter

Here you go, it's not cheap though.

Smithy

I once talked with a 8th AF P47 pilot vet and he said his CO was adamant that the pilots NOT wear scarves because it was such a cliche.
But as for those fabric maps, I really wish someone made reproductions of the ETO ones...

That's very amusing.

In the RAF during the war, it was an unwritten law that they were compulsory for fighter pilots to wear. I know of two sprog pilots who had a strip torn off them for not wearing something to protect the neck from chafing in 1940. You actually couldn't perform your duty of constantly moving your head to watch all areas of approach without wearing neck protection, otherwise your neck was rubbed raw by the collars on shirt and SD or BD.

MauldinFan

Oh, I get why they had them. Just relaying what a Jug pilot told me. He had a photo album and in several shots of pilots getting into and out of the P47s, not one photo could be found of anyone wearing them.
He said a mustang landed at his field with a bad engine and it's pilot talked with them comparing experiences while waiting for a transport with parts and mechanics to show up. The P51 pilot was surprised they never wore scarves and they gave him grief for showing up with one.
I remember this so clearly because our group was putting on a 8th AF flight gear display and some of us were wearing the gear and had scarves.

Smithy

Oh, I get why they had them. Just relaying what a Jug pilot told me. He had a photo album and in several shots of pilots getting into and out of the P47s, not one photo could be found of anyone wearing them.
He said a mustang landed at his field with a bad engine and it's pilot talked with them comparing experiences while waiting for a transport with parts and mechanics to show up. The P51 pilot was surprised they never wore scarves and they gave him grief for showing up with one.
I remember this so clearly because our group was putting on a 8th AF flight gear display and some of us were wearing the gear and had scarves.

Still I find it both strange and amusing.

Virtually every RAF pilot I knew and also corresponded with mentioned how important they were when you asked them about flying kit. They were deemed as one of the most important pieces of kit. Moving your head was one of the most vital things a fighter pilot has to do as we know, and silk scarves allowed one to do that without discomfort over long periods. I knew another couple who used a lady's silk stocking for the same purpose.

From a British air forces perspective, this wasn't an entirely new thing though. In the more elite RFC/RAF squadrons like 56 and 60 their benefits were being discussed amongst pilots as early as 1917.

Pilot

Thinking about a German Fallschirmjäger Camouflage Parachute scarf. US dealer has them. But $90 for a 12”x48” seems expensive
If its a WW2 original its low cost.
Happy to see pics… can tell right away.. real or bogus..

Pilot

802EA367-C4FA-46B1-BCB3-A3CB15CF727D.jpeg