• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman / Aero price gouging on overseas sales

A

Anonymous

Why all the Bullsh*t, just make your own A-2, everyone else seems to be, and I"m not joking

It's not bullshit, when some people think they 're being ripped off.

unclegrumpy

A lot of this thread is just a bunch of elaborate excuses to justify why playing games with taxes that screw some people to benefit others is OK.

Really all most are asking for is transparency in the taxes that merchants charge. No matter how you slice it, anything but clarity and the truth in this matter is unacceptable. IMO Collecting tax money from consumers that is not due or paid to the Taxing Authorities is thievery.

Here is an example of how Costco handled a recent new tax in Washington State:

2012-06-15_14-41-43_148.jpg

Persimmon

unclegrumpy said:
Most of this thread is just a bunch of elaborate excuses to justify why using taxes to screw some people at the expense of others is OK.

Really all people are asking for is transparency in the taxes that merchants charge. No matter how you slice it, anything but clarity and the truth in this matter is unacceptable. Collecting tax money from consumers that is not due or paid to the Taxing Authorities is thievery.

Here is an example of how Costco handled a recent new tax in Washington State:

2012-06-15_14-41-43_148.jpg

I know what Costco can't do and that is spell --

Litre !!

ButteMT61

unclegrumpy said:
Damn, I missed that! :D

No, it's litter. Kirkland vodka, the house brand. :lol: just kidding. After three shots, it don't matter...

I find it funny that some here think this is "Brit bashing". It's anything but. If you guys "over there” got charged state sales taxes and weren't told, you'd have a right to be pissed too. Especially if the taxes never made it to the tax man.
All this seems more a defense of ELC and some personal relationships than the previously mentioned Brit bashing. Funny now some who haven't posted in quite some time magically come in to start it up again. Really guys? You get paid for that?

If you have gripes or questions about any brand, the company, the products, this is the place to discuss. If there's no data to backup claims, or you have data to the contrary, post it up and let people decide. But the "I'm taking my toys and going home" faction are really kinda funny at this point.

ausreenactor

What is the import tax and VAT on a brand new Good Wear shipped from the maker to the UK? On a value of say $1000 flat?

Couchy

Jaguar46

Persimmon said:

Litre !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litre

Costco is an American company.

The spelling of the word used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures is "litre"[2] and this is also the usual one in most English-speaking countries, but in American English the official spelling is "liter".[3]

John Lever

The sad thing is that most people have taken their toys and gone home, soon there will be about three people who bother to post here and all the posts will be about Goodwear.
Thanks for destroying what was a great place.

Persimmon

Jaguar46 said:
Persimmon said:

Litre !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litre

Costco is an American company.

The spelling of the word used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures is "litre"[2] and this is also the usual one in most English-speaking countries, but in American English the official spelling is "liter".[3]

I am reminded of Shakespeare ....

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
(Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230)

Vcruiser

John Lever said:
The sad thing is that most people have taken their toys and gone home, soon there will be about three people who bother to post here and all the posts will be about Goodwear.

Whom are you thanking?
Us Americans..?

Jeff M

John Lever said:

John Lever said:
The same lot that started the exact same thread over on TFL.

John, this thread died a long time ago.

If you want to place blame for what you see as a decline in the level of discourse on this forum you might start by re-reading some of your posts.
Time to move on.
Really.
Just move on.

Vcruiser

John
Do you understand just what they were complaining about..and why?
..And why JC's efforts are now what every other repro maker is compared to..?

I see many reasons why some members have left the VLJ over the years...and why other jacket forums have even closed up shop. In my view..it was mainly an elitist denial and continuing insistance that perceived faults were surely really non existant or mainly imaginary(of little matter)..since it was directed at 'some's' chosen jacket maker. Otherwise..blind to what many others were criticizing..and 'complaining' about. Anytime a perceived fault was mentioned..it meant WAR. A needless one at that..since many were actually seeking the closest interpretation to the authentic in all areas reguardless of maker. However..competition seemed to slowly force corrections..although limited..probably because of that same lingering mindset.
Would it be unfair to suggest that *generally*...

Goodwear makes the most accurate A2 repros to contract.
ELC battles themselves offering the best shearling repros.
Aero's civi utility jackets are indeed unique and top tier in their line.

..and that pricing practices concerning British taxes aren't going to change for nonBritish ELC/Aero buyers no matter whether any deem it unfair or not.