• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman / Aero price gouging on overseas sales

ausreenactor

Vcruiser said:
ausreenactor said:
Vcruiser said:
OF COURSE BRIT BUYERS PAY VAT ON GOODWEAR JACKETS. IT IS REQUIRED BY THEIR GOVERNMENT AFTER IT ENTERS 'THEIR' COUNTRY.

DONE

That is what I want to verify. How much people are paying. Did you not read the post?

Couchy

why would you think that GoodWear would subtract the Brit VAT from his price? .

I do not think that, and after reading my post again I do not know you came to that conclusion. I am trying to a) verify what people pay on top of a broad $1000 purchase price (exclusive of shipping) to get the jacket on their backs in the UK. By getting that figure I can work out the difference between a local buying an ELC/Aero and b) verify IF a $1000 GW jacket is shipped at a lower value ($250) into the UK then they reduce the duties and VAT from the imported item and the buyer gets some financial benefit. From there I can decide for myself if the matter is even giving a toss about. I have paid full price on two ELC A-2s and I do not feel compelled to join a class action. I turned over $18000 worth of flight jackets in 2008-2009 financial year and had to pay tax on it? Won't do that again. I just have a thing for 'jacket taxes'.

And I had only posted twice in 45 pages til last night. So I do not consider myself an agitator, protagonist or worse...

Couchy

Vcruiser

I don't think you are an agitator,Couchy.
It just seems as if there are those who just can't grasp what..or why anyone would have a bitch about any of this.
Van

ausreenactor

As someone who has been 'stung' on two jackets, caps and more I was not even fussed. I was eager to verify if those most passionate about it had been impacted personally or just highlighted an error and were keen to push it all the way. I was hoping to get a response or two stating I paid 'amount X or amount Y' from my post last night. Given the number of 'new jacket' posts I would think most if not all would have a tale of VAT woe to tell. If that had of flowed through I would have even contemplated even mentioning they MIGHT come in from across the pond cheaper due to a reduced value. I am sure eBay buys do. I insure all mine now due to 'issues' both ways. It affects sales as no one wants to pay for the Airmail and then duties. That is why I gave up on the Buzz Rickson hunts in Japan. Even the LS kits selling at over $500 in the US these days are not worth it.. Sorry I weighed in when everyone else was over it...all Platon's fault ;)

Couchy

derleicaman

This thread is a possible new source for Horsehide from all the dead horses being beaten here! :twisted:

Seriously though, I thought it was great that this thread was left open, unlike the sister thread over on FL which was shut down sooooo quickly. I like a lighter hand from mods on the forums I'm on. Perhaps its time to let this thread die. I've only been here for a couple of years, so I'm sorry I missed some of the early chaps and characters here. Been around for some of the dust-ups. Even so, I have met a number of good folks here and done some great buying/selling which is one thing making it worthwhile. Had some fun with PMs with some of the regulars. Learned a lot too. I'm sticking around.

2BM2K

What is the import tax and VAT on a brand new Good Wear shipped from the maker to the UK? On a value of say $1000 flat?

UK Custom and Import duties can be found here; http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

From outside the EU duties payable will be 20% VAT, Custom Duty of 2.5% for products up to £630
above that value then maybe more depending on type of product.

So for a Goodwear jacket I guess duty payable is about £200

ausreenactor

2BM2K said:
What is the import tax and VAT on a brand new Good Wear shipped from the maker to the UK? On a value of say $1000 flat?

UK Custom and Import duties can be found here; http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

From outside the EU duties payable will be 20% VAT, Custom Duty of 2.5% for products up to £630
above that value then maybe more depending on type of product.

So for a Goodwear jacket I guess duty payable is about £200

Thanks very much. Could not have asked for better than that.. Sure adds to the price... :eek:

Couchy

John Lever

I have never paid VAT on a jacket from John. He has a magic code that makes them invisible to UK customs.. spooky...but true.

Dr H

John Lever said:
I have never paid VAT on a jacket from John. He has a magic code that makes them invisible to UK customs.. spooky...but true.

Same here...

ausreenactor

Noo noo noo noo, noo noo noo noo...

The man is the master...no doubting that. :cool: Now also an international man of mystery.. ;)

Couchy

Rutger

I ask all sellers to adjust the value on the paperwork, and accept the risk of insured value being a lot lower as well.
Official bussinesses will usually not do that for they run the risk of getting fined.

Over here in Holland, taxes are calculated over the total amount+shipping, not just the object itself. That may be different for the UK though.
There's also the cost of determining how much value to be taxed, this cost is fixed, not a percentage. Maybe they don't charge that in the UK either.

Value : 100 euro
Shipping : 30 euro

20% over total = 26 euro
cost of making that calculation = 17 euro
Total customs actual : 43 euro

Total customs expected at first glance : 20 euro

It is tempting to assume the amount due is 20% over 100 euro is 20 euro, but I found out the hard way.
Additional rules/cost may apply without violating the statement that VAT is 20%.

Since the fellers at customs are getting sneakier by the month, I'm considering making two seperate payments, one of the lower value to use as proof (which I should be able to show as evidence of the value), and another seperate payment to get to the actual amount.

Dr H

Rutger said:
Since the fellers at customs are getting sneakier by the month, I'm considering making two seperate payments, one of the lower value to use as proof (which I should be able to show as evidence of the value), and another seperate payment to get to the actual amount.

Especially those that might subscribe to a forum like this... :shock:
;)