• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman / Aero price gouging on overseas sales

bfrench

Administrator
Jaguar46 said:
I just checked my invoice from Aero on the recent purchase of a new Highwayman in FQHH that I made from their sale page. It shows the price subtotal 565 pounds, shipping 40 pounds, Net Total 605 pounds, and VAT as 0.00.

Nothing hidden. I paid no VAT on my purchase. Did I pay on overinflated price? The normal price is 620 pounds. (possibly more since it has 2 interior pockets)

What you're saying is that they have deducted the VAT from the prices advertised on their own site. Otherwise you paid VAT on the purchase and then paid US tax on top of that.

Jeff M

Jaguar46 said:
I just checked my invoice from Aero on the recent purchase of a new Highwayman in FQHH that I made from their sale page. It shows the price subtotal 565 pounds, shipping 40 pounds, Net Total 605 pounds, and VAT as 0.00.

Nothing hidden. I paid no VAT on my purchase. Did I pay on overinflated price? The normal price is 620 pounds. (possibly more since it has 2 interior pockets)

Guess the boredom has gone. ;)

bfrench said:
What you're saying is that they have deducted the VAT from the prices advertised on their own site. Otherwise you paid VAT on the purchase and then paid US tax on top of that.

Good effort...but I think we may be dealing with one of the "mathematically impaired". :lol:

Jeff M

tcwu said:
large.jpg

It's really difficult to tell the price is including/excluding VAT.
You can see ELC's VAT#

To answer this....it would be very helpful to have a receipt from a RECENT sale to a customer in the UK.
#1 to see if they list a separate VAT amount,
#2 to see what the total is compared to their web site prices.

Doesn't look like it will make a difference in the FINAL price charged to UK and non UK buyers as both ELC and Aero have stated it is the same.....but it would be interesting to see how they do their math.
(From the receipt posted by Otter from a UK purchase some hears back, they list the VAT as a separate amount added on.)

Jeff M

omarco said:

i think its a little rich to claim that those who are basically saying "thats the price get over it" are whining. .....

Sorry for the diversion here, but you flipped the meaning of my comment 180 degrees.
Hopefully I have never accused anybody of whining.
I'm not saying those that are saying "thats the price, get over it" are whining.
Rather that some who feel that way come across as "that's the price, STOP YOUR WHINING, get over it".

Jeff M

bfrench said:
...Any hidden taxes will always be a target for exposure - why pay more than necessary especially a foreign tax and I don't care where any one lives it should be out in the open.

Rant over.

And lest any of our UK friends forget...it was the issue of British taxes on Americans that led to that little episode back in 1776.
We tend to be fairly sensitive about that topic. :lol:

John Lever

bfrench said:
John Lever said:
How much tax do you get hit with in the US ?
I have heard that many items get through tax free. Imports into the UK never get through without subterfuge. I have had to pay hundreds of £'s when buying from NZ and the USA. When I bought from LW I think I paid about £250 import duty and £350 from NZ. Generally all the taxes and fees add about 30% to the price and that is the total price including shipping as tax is due on that also !!
Just thought it might put things in perspective.

Hi, John,

What would have put those purchases in perspective would have been to have the LW price plus the NY state sales tax added and given as a total price without explaining the sales tax inclusion.

Then you could have paid your duties on top of that plus the extra duties on the undisclosed tax.

Ditto for RMNZ.

Now maybe you see why we're expressing an opinion of paying hidden taxes.

Don't forget that the next time you buy US to ask that they put the state sales tax on and also show it as part of the price - that way we'll all be even.

We're a long way from this being over. Any hidden taxes will always be a target for exposure - why pay more than necessary especially a foreign tax and I don't care where any one lives it should be out in the open.

Rant over.
Hi Bill,
I can't remember if I paid US taxes or not but I do know that purchases from RMNZ are local tax free and include shipping.
I suppose in a way I was trying to introduce the concept that US buyers get a much better deal on imports than we do here in Europe. It costs us much more to buy from you as it does for you to buy from us.
This might explain why some here have complained about whining, slightly off topic perhaps.
Can anyone give a figure on how much they have paid when importing in to the US , is it a few tens of dollars or as in our case a few hundred ?

Jeff M

John Lever said:
bfrench said:
Can anyone give a figure on how much they have paid when importing in to the US , is it a few tens of dollars or as in our case a few hundred ?

The last Aero jacket I received (about 3 months ago) was an A2.
US customs duty ran about $50 as I recall.

unclegrumpy

bfrench said:
We're a long way from this being over. Any hidden taxes will always be a target for exposure - why pay more than necessary especially a foreign tax and I don't care where any one lives it should be out in the open.
Exactly!

Andrew

From a somewhat neutral position (since we here are soley importers of VLJ's and I equally respect opinions from my pals on both sides of the Atlantic).

I'd just like to note that I believe this is a contrived and opportunistic means of extracting an additional profit from one sector of the market for obvious reasons thoroughly rehashed and it's reinforced my personal choice to only buy US jackets from GW (not that I really need any excuse as Johns knowledge and skills really are amazing). This doesn't exclude BK as long as they don't ply the same lame excuses, or a deal on a bargain second hand ELC :cool:

omarco

I think it's harsh to lambast a company for being more profitable from one sector of the market to another. this isn't about charging anyone more, but rather having a better margin from one continent to another. I think the two things are separate, it seems a lot of you guys disagree. And just to reiterate as it seems like the misunderstanding is creeping back into the issue, if you aren't from the uk you neither paying nor being charged VAT.

a quick edit to say that actually if they can be more profitable from a sale whilst still keeping prices the same internationally then good on em and bravo.

Persimmon

omarco said:
I think it's harsh to lambast a company for being more profitable from one sector of the market to another. this isn't about charging anyone more, but rather having a better margin from one continent to another. I think the two things are separate, it seems a lot of you guys disagree. And just to reiterate as it seems like the misunderstanding is creeping back into the issue, if you aren't from the uk you neither paying nor being charged VAT.
a quick edit to say that actually if they can be more profitable from a sale whilst still keeping prices the same internationally then good on em and bravo.

I think everyone knows this !!
Sorry but the only one misunderstanding this issue seems to be you

If a customer is out of the UK and mainland Europe they are instead paying an increased charge for the same jacket by the supplier (Aero and Eastman) and until recently these companies flim flam double talk was trying to prevent this being well known.

Rest easy please

ButteMT61

The only way US buyers aren't paying the VAT is if Aero and VLC aren't paying their VAT to HM every year. Simpler yet. So, assuming they DO, we ARE. :)

Vcruiser

The same members still can not understand just what in the world anyone is complaining about. Is it VAT..or WTF..?
I would bet that within the next 15 pages nothing changes whatsoever....

Jeff M

Persimmon said:
Sorry but the only one misunderstanding this issue seems to be you

If a customer is out of the UK and mainland Europe they are instead paying an increased charge for the same jacket by the supplier (Aero and Eastman) and until recently these companies flim flam double talk was trying to prevent this being well known.

Rest easy please

Yes.
(Working on those next 15 pages!! :lol: )