• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK Victory Horse™ Hide

Jeff M

On another note....I've been informed that BK will be getting in a set of seal VH hide sometime this month.
Things may be looking up.

Jeff M

ausreenactor said:
Great to hear Jeff! I am sure you have the jacket situation covered in the meantime...

Couchy

Oh yeah.
Been covered many times over now since the order went in. :lol:

ButteMT61

ausreenactor said:
ButteMT61 said:
Aero would. I changed my mind.
I'm going with another GW in a new hide JC found. I trust him.

What if you change your mind on the GW order in the next 12 months?
What hides are available then and there?

Subway is full of 'stand up' guys (and gals) and businessmen too, at least
you know exactly what you are getting, it is all laid out in front of you..

As it was, I changed my mind at least 10x on my last GW order. Up until the last week even.
Not an issue. JC took my numbers, my desired fit, etc. and made a jacket for me three days later.
I have no doubt that by the time my next order is on the table, there will be the/a hide that will make me happy. I know from my and other's experiences. It's that simple.

No clue what the subway crack is about. I get my jackets in the mail :)

I will say one thing for BK - they have the best leather sample kits of anyone. Not being wise here - they really do a good job with the samples.

A

Anonymous

hey Scott
if you are implying that at BK there's no leather, while there may be some waiting involved with the Victory horse
BK has plenty of Badalassi in stock.
I suppose that's "the/a hide that will make you happy"
You or anybody, considering it's the best cowhide money can buy.
:D

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
hey Scott
if you are implying that at BK there's no leather, while there may be some waiting involved with the Victory horse
BK has plenty of Badalassi in stock.
I suppose that's "the/a hide that will make you happy"
You or anybody, considering it's the best cowhide money can buy.
:D

Did I imply that? I complimented you on that and I was sincere. I was looking at samples last night and thought they were really well done.
I also have a batch from GW and I was trying to decide what I liked best for the next jacket.
All I know about not having hides is what I've read here.

Jeff M

Since the question was raised re; GW hides and availability...
my experience has been that John sets the hides specified at the time of order aside at the time the order is placed. Over the years he has added new hides to his catalogue and discontinued others. He used to offer a red russet HH that I like quite a bit. He had just stopped offering it around the time I placed an order for a jacket with it, and set some aside for me.

When the time comes to make your jacket, he contacts you to confirm final specs/hide.
There have been a couple of times where John has gotten some new hides in that have really caught my fancy and I've asked to use those hides rather than the hides I originally spec'd.

There was one time when GW was out of a leather I wanted, and I had to wait. That was my fault.
When they contacted me to confirm my order specs, I asked to change the leather to one they had started offering a few months earlier.
I was told they were recently out of that leather, and that a shipment was expected within a couple of weeks.
It arrived as predicted. My order was delayed about 3 weeks.

ausreenactor

Just got some pics from Andy of my Werber. Cut and completed to the lining stage. I know this one is mine and everyone is proud of their jackets. I have had some GREAT JACKETs over time. From the pics I can put my hand on my heart and say this thing will be amazing.

As a parity check I have a very smart daughter, a daughter who thinks she is very smart. I have a son who is a dead set moron at the age of five. I am not one to enhance something that is not worthy of it.

Back to the jacket. The grain on this is sensational. And the finish (Ultra Vintage Victory Horse Hide) is pretty spectacular. No pics until I get it and do a review of the ordering timeline, hides, construction and with the bad boy on my back. Well worth the $300 spent on the NOS Crown too. If someone here snaffled that last $300 Crown let me know... I will pay you handsomely for it. I have another project in mind already. :cool:

The Good Wear Subway reference was just a comparison. I will liken the two makers GW & BK to fast food purchases. Subway versus Dominos. With both you know what you want when you elect to 'order'. With GW you get in a robust line, all the parts that make up the product are there. The line shortens and you look up and you can change your mind. Or you can change your mind if they run out of something or if the guy ahead of you orders something you did not think of when you walked in.

The Bill Kelso comparison I liken to Dominos. You see what is there available at that time. You specify what you want and you place that order. In theory they tell you the waiting time. You track your order and they let you know roughly how long it will be. Then it arrives. Unless there is a problem, as in Jeff's case. I know Jeff has abided a wait and he has gone to 'Subway' in the meantime.

I am not sure how the specific aspects of your particular domestic situations go. I have been dragging Tianna to the computer for a decade now, and I have told Tianna about all the things I have ever dreamt of owning in my lifetime. This HBT lined A-2 was one of them. If I came home from Subway with something that was different to what I said I was getting, or ordered something different from Dominos she would not be impressed. After hyping it up for five years....

I waited ten years for my 1873 in .44 Special. As a rifle, it is totally impractical. Vey inaccurate (I prefer 1/4 MOA) and prone to a lot of wear. After handing back my handguns in 2003 I had all the reloading gear and loved the rifle. Crossed that 1873 off the list as well since coming back from Afghanistan. The only other thing on the list is a restored Mongoose BMX from the 1980s. They are there ready to snap up on eBay Australia, even with payment plans. Worth less than a new A-2 and half the price of the rifle. Just can't commit. If and when I do secure one then that is it, no more lifelong wants. Have everything I ever wanted. Three gorgeous kids, funded Tianna's degree (inadvertently Tiana happy/Trevor happy) and a hefty bank balance.

There are many things in my life I recall fondly. Most relate to family and friends. Shucking a Winchester Defender or M1897, three gears of 351C wheel spin on a perfectly timed 'peel out' at Summernats and getting pics of the hide in my Bil Kelso Werber are now up there too! Like seeing an ultrasound of your child!! Even the dullard five year old son!

Jeff M

ButteMT61 said:
I don't know if I'm more hungry or confused... :?

When I'm feeling that way I just reach for another beer.
Tends to handle solve both issues. Or at least make it so I no longer care.

ausreenactor

ButteMT61 said:

You may not be able to contemplate your faith COULD be placed outside your comfort zone. Live a little!

No confusion here, knew EXACTLY what pattern and the exact A-2 hide I was getting...I thought you had sorted out your blue A-1 as well. I thought we were racing to the finish line? I am pretty sure I will have a bespoke A-2, a BK Westfall and perhaps one other BK before your GW gets to you now?

From the start to the finish Andy has been great. Interaction with the measurements, pics of the hide, pics of the cut and and construction of the jacket... I was content to settle for our Desert Pattern AUSCAM as a lining when I could not source anything; however, Andy would have none of it. Mission accomplished after five years. Would put some hide and construction pics up now...but do not want to make a larger queue at Bill Kelso until my needs are sated.

Couchy

ButteMT61

ausreenactor said:
ButteMT61 said:

You may not be able to contemplate your faith COULD be placed outside your comfort zone. Live a little!

No confusion here, knew EXACTLY what pattern and the exact A-2 hide I was getting...I thought you had sorted out your blue A-1 as well. I thought we were racing to the finish line? I am pretty sure I will have a bespoke A-2, a BK Westfall and perhaps one other BK before your GW gets to you now?

From the start to the finish Andy has been great. Interaction with the measurements, pics of the hide, pics of the cut and and construction of the jacket... I was content to settle for our Desert Pattern AUSCAM as a lining when I could not source anything; however, Andy would have none of it. Mission accomplished after five years. Would put some hide and construction pics up now...but do not want to make a larger queue at Bill Kelso until my needs are sated.

Couchy

I waited a year for my last one. It was (is) so good that I got rid of four other jackets. Right then and there I realized that a bunch of so-so jackets pale compared to a couple great ones.
I'm comfortable and happy. And if it takes another year, I can wait. Because in the end, I know a year is going to be a year. Not 18 months.

A

Anonymous

Reporting HBT lining ARRIVED!!!

From when Couchy agreed all the specs, took about a week to show him photos of the shell and now that the lining is here, the jacket should ship next week.

Gentlemen, if BK have the leathers they are very fast. Unfortunately, they cannot control the tannery's delivery times.
In the case of Badalassi leather it's different. Badalassi tannery is very fast. If you order Badalassi, even if BK is out of stock they can ship the jacket in 4 weeks.