• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI M422A Development and Improvements

Chandler

Anyone dabbling in graphics programs for vintage recreation -- just remember the font Helvetica wasn't created until after WW2. If you use it, do your best to alter it to what you see on originals.

Cocker

The font still needs to be slightly taller or reduced in width, the current proportion is a bit on the wide side.

Regarding the ending of the S, no worries, just cut it according to the WW2 font when you'll print your stencil :)

coolhandluke

The font still needs to be slightly taller or reduced in width, the current proportion is a bit on the wide side.

Regarding the ending of the S, no worries, just cut it according to the WW2 font when you'll print your stencil :)

I am having issues getting the height, width, and spacing of the font spot on. I don't really have much additional room between the horizontal stitching and the top of the collar to increase the height. I can make the text narrower, but the total length would be substantially less than 4". As far as I can tell, it looks like the original stencil was approximately 4" long. Below are two additional templates that measure 1.25" x 3.5" and 1.375" x 3.75" respectively.

1.25" x 3.5"

USN Stencil 6.jpg

1.375" x 3.75"

USN Stencil 7.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

I think the proportions are much much greater on the 2 last examples! Great job!

After printing the template and overlaying it on the collar, it appears that 1.25" x 4" is extremely close to the original stencil size. 3.5" and 3.75" length were just too short. I tweaked the spaces between the letters slightly more to get to 4" and I think that the size is spot on now. After my vinyl stencil film arrives on Wednesday, I'll cut a test stencil and do a trial run on a scrap piece of leather.

coolhandluke

Stencil template is finished. If all goes well, I'll paint the jacket tomorrow evening after work. Patch has also been aged nicely using some Instant Gatherings antique fabric spray. I'll post more photos as soon as the paint project is finished. It will take a few days since I'll need to paint, age, and apply a sealer top coat.

20220720_222212.jpg

coolhandluke

I painted the stamp yesterday evening and aged it a bit. Still have a bit more work to do. The vinyl stencil did not seal as well as I had hoped and I had some bleed through which impacted the shape of the S somewhat. Not sure if I should attempt to shorten the ends of the S or just call it good at this point. I'm overly critical of my own work, so any flaws really tend to nag me.

I was very happy that I was able to paint around the stitching so that it appears that the stamp was applied before assembly.

20220722_001541.jpg