• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI M422A Development and Improvements

Enigma1938

Small amendment: Fred Lorsch's Jacket was actually an AN-J-3a, but I cannot recall anymore in which Air-(Force)-Museum it is located today.

View attachment 80660 View attachment 80661
The sign is saying "Losch" instead of "Lorsch",
that's... um... embarrassing

Oh and it wasn't my intention to copy his jacket, I just wanted to do a general VMF-214 impression.

Last edited:

Chandler

Oh and is wasn't my intention to copy his jacket, I just wanted to do a general VMF-214 impression.
Hmm. There used to be a prominent businessman in my area named Fred Losch. Gotta wonder....

Mr. Mike

Oh and it wasn't my intention to copy his jacket, I just wanted to do a general VMF-214 impression.
No worries - I actually overlooked the 'r' myself in the first place as I do not have any trace/knowledge of that pilot I have to admit. But I was running into a similar 'aha' effect when seeing the respective photos as I did not re-encounter the jacket as AN-J-3a myself at the beginning.

coolhandluke

Just wanted to provide an update...

My Avi M-422a was dropped off with a local tailor this afternoon. Fingers crossed that the final product will be as I requested and not ready for the trash heap. There was a bit of a language barrier (owner is Vietnamese) and the tailor very much wanted to do things his way despite the carefully selected thread and printed instructions with photos that I provided.

The tailor was adamant about using yellow thread on the patch so hopefully it will be a good match. It took a fair amount of convincing just to get him to agree to using brown thread on the spec label as he wanted to color match it as well. I was also informed that my instructions with example photos were not needed.

The tailor has a very good reputation so I'll just have to take it on faith that he remembers the details that we discussed and follows through. If not...at least it was just an Avi jacket. I wouldn't have had the fortitude to take the gamble on anything more expensive. I was told that the jacket should be ready for pick-up by next Tuesday. We'll know then if I should have gone Enigma's route and just done the work myself.

coolhandluke

Picked my Avi M-422a back up from the local tailor today. The only major snafu was that the tailor didn't re-use the original Avi size label like I requested. The brown thread used on the spec label could have been a touch thicker as well, but it is what it is. He did open the liner up to do all of the work so none of the patch stitching is visible. The eyesore of a product label was also removed which really helps the liner appearance IMO. All in all, well worth the cost of $67 USD out the door, and a one week turnaround. I certainly would have charged more if I were doing the work.

Here's a few shots of the final product...

HRTkOWl.jpeg

UUjzgsi.jpeg

Xghl6v5.jpeg

9lu52Ff.jpeg

N6Ij1VU.jpeg

lTwsNKN.jpeg

gliBanL.jpeg

Mr. Mike

Picked my Avi M-422a back up from the local tailor today. The only major snafu was that the tailor didn't re-use the original Avi size label like I requested. The brown thread used on the spec label could have been a touch thicker as well, but it is what it is. He did open the liner up to do all of the work so none of the patch stitching is visible. The eyesore of a product label was also removed which really helps the liner appearance IMO. All in all, well worth the cost of $67 USD out the door, and a one week turnaround. I certainly would have charged more if I were doing the work.

Here's a few shots of the final product...

View attachment 81033

View attachment 81034

View attachment 81036

View attachment 81037

View attachment 81038

View attachment 81040

View attachment 81041
Looks really good. Excellent fit as well by the way! Can the collar be closed completely with the Avi M-422a?

Brettafett

Now THIS is exactly what these jackets were made for... It looks superb!
Just shows what can be done with a little effort and a little extra cash.

Im finding Im scratching my head with mine. I wore it a bit the other day and I feel that I need to go up one size.
The jacket fits fine, but it feels a bit tight across the chest fully zipped. A size up would be more comfy and have a more accurate WW2 drape.

coolhandluke

Good job. As someone who sometimes draws patches, I'd age patch a bit. Well, or you will have to wear this jacket on deck or in the cockpit for a long time for this to happen by itself.

What is your process for aging a felt patch? I agree, the colors on the patch and the label could stand to be toned down. I figured it would happen naturally with use, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

coolhandluke

Im finding Im scratching my head with mine. I wore it a bit the other day and I feel that I need to go up one size.
The jacket fits fine, but it feels a bit tight across the chest fully zipped. A size up would be more comfy and have a more accurate WW2 drape.

I completely understand regarding the fit. Mine is rather snug in the chest and midsection as well. Notice that I only zip the jacket slightly above the top of the pocket line. Not much room for anything more than a t-shirt underneath. I easily could have gone up two sizes from my chest size and gotten away with it.

Looks really good. Excellent fit as well by the way! Can the collar be closed completely with the Avi M-422a?

I haven't attempted to completely close the collar. To be honest, I've avoided messing with the collar buttons since both pocket buttons came detached on the first wearing. Reattaching the collar buttons would be a much larger undertaking.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Now that's a pretty jacket! The patch job was done great and I'm ok with the thread thickness used on the label.

Thanks a ton Enigma. You and Jan are both to thank for me taking on the project in the first place.

Do you happen to have a digital template for the USN stencil that you used? The collar stencil is next on the agenda.

Enigma1938

Thanks a ton Enigma. You and Jan are both to thank for me taking on the project in the first place.

Do you happen to have a digital template for the USN stencil that you used? The collar stencil is next on the agenda.
Sorry Luke, as I mentioned earlier in this thread I did the stencil freestyle with the help of a bunch of photos of original G&F collar stencils, there's no digital template

coolhandluke

Sorry Luke, as I mentioned earlier in this thread I did the stencil freestyle with the help of a bunch of photos of original G&F collar stencils, there's no digital template

Gotcha...I'm going to play around in Photoshop and see if I can find a matching font. In the past I've had good luck printing a template on standard printer paper and using a razor blade and matte stencil film to make the stencil.

coolhandluke

Drafted a template in Photoshop this morning. Based on the current layout, the text would print as 1.25" high and 4" long on standard 8.5" x 11" copy paper. The font is about as close as of match as I will likely find. The degree of the ending edges of the S is slightly off, but still close.

USN Stencil 5.jpg

096A1194-BB94-4F37-A4D1-BA3090128093.jpeg.jpg

wwii-gordon-ferguson-m422a-flying_360_e7d5186d11baca548ba6d6cf1ec649d8.jpg

Last edited: