• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI M422A Development and Improvements

Enigma1938

Next step done.
I added a patch from the VMF-214, also known as the Blacksheep. Some may know them from the famous baa baa black sheep series from the late 70s.
It's the 1st type of the squad patch around 1943, later ones lack the 214 on it. Actually the 214 squad had a different patch and name before the sheep ones, called the "swashbucklers".
Nametag will follow, it's in customs currently.
20220329_080154.jpg

Here a pic of a survived original jacket from the 214. It belonged to Frederick "Fred" Samuel Lorsch, who flew with the unit under Pappy Boyington, Sep-Dec, 1943, while based in the Solomons

Fred_Losch-2d_Tour_Solomons-Sep-Dec_1943.jpg.079cb12a4547cbfc441e6799c6d0fc7c.jpg

Last edited:

McNally

Very nice! Forgive me if this info is already posted, but I'm new here and figured I'd use that to my advantage. How are you sewing those on? Good machine or incredible patience?

Enigma1938

It's hand sewn only. I do have a sewing machine but I'm afraid it's not strong enough for the sturdy goatskin.
Very nice! Forgive me if this info is already posted, but I'm new here and figured I'd use that to my advantage. How are you sewing those on? Good machine or incredible patience?

Deacon211

That turned out beautifully.

You probably already know this but 214 had a short-lived 3rd name:

In fact, though I think that the meaning of the heraldry is disputed these days, the diagonal stripe was an original nod to their illegitimate parentage.

Beaker_UK

Also a quick shot in the sunlight.
I dunno why the lining appears so bright red here, I think the phone camera is to blame. It's more a salmon red actually and not that bright.
The brownish leather color is better visible here.

View attachment 76865
That is amazing! Where did you get the Blacksheep patch from? Might need to get one along with one for the Checkerboards having worked with both…

Enigma1938

That is amazing! Where did you get the Blacksheep patch from? Might need to get one along with one for the Checkerboards having worked with both…

Thank you!
I got the patch from this guys:

They have different versions of VMF-214 patches also, like the first "swashbucklers" version or one from the Korean War era...

Enigma1938

That turned out beautifully.

You probably already know this but 214 had a short-lived 3rd name:

In fact, though I think that the meaning of the heraldry is disputed these days, the diagonal stripe was an original nod to their illegitimate parentage.

Thank you!
Yes the design and meaning of their emblem ist great, especially for me because I felt like a black sheep also often in my life.

coolhandluke

@Enigma1938, I hope you don't mind me adding my current Avi M-M422a project to your improvements thread. My jacket is also in the process of undergoing a few changes.

I've purchased a NOS M-39 Talon pull from Dave Sheeley, installed the pull and top zipper stop that Dave also kindly provided.

CDVksH9.jpeg

wUUk0aG.jpeg

I've also purchased two patches to potentially use. At this time I plan to use the felt Nightcappers patch shown below (along with the leather VPB-71 patch that was also purchased).

2EQeSg6.jpeg

fSV2rOj.jpeg

zTLkmoD.jpeg

Ew7zcqi.jpeg

Lastly, Steve Sellers provided me with a repro G&F spec label. The size tag that was included is a black/yellow M-69 style label, so I will likely just re-use the original white Avi label.

KctDaDb.jpeg

I currently plan to drop the jacket off this week with a local tailor that does a fair amount of leather garment work. There is a small section of stitching that retains the zipper tape on the lower left panel that has failed. I'll also have the tailor sew on the squadron patch and swap the spec label while the stitching is being addressed. If it can be done, I'll also ask that they remove the black product label from the interior of the liner as well. On another note, there seems to be a fair amount of issues with the thread that Avi is using on their M-422a's (many button thread failures, and at least one other jacket with popped pocket stitching). Hopefully this won't be a continuing occurrence as the jacket ages.

Yit5c3b.jpeg

Y46SRWn.jpeg

Last edited:

Enigma1938

@coolhandluke
You did good with your M422a, the zipper and label are bringing so much more authenticity to the jacket. If I were you I would choose the felt patch. Those jackets are perfect for having fun experimenting with improvements, for patching etc...
Btw I hadn't any problems with stitching on my Avi, seems it's not a general problem.

Mr. Mike

Next step done.
I added a patch from the VMF-214, also known as the Blacksheep. Some may know them from the famous baa baa black sheep series from the late 70s.
It's the 1st type of the squad patch around 1943, later ones lack the 214 on it. Actually the 214 squad had a different patch and name before the sheep ones, called the "swashbucklers".
Nametag will follow, it's in customs currently.
View attachment 76807

Here a pic of a survived original jacket from the 214. It belonged to Frederick "Fred" Samuel Lorsch, who flew with the unit under Pappy Boyington, Sep-Dec, 1943, while based in the Solomons

View attachment 76808

Small amendment: Fred Losch's Jacket was actually an AN-J-3a, but I cannot recall anymore in which Air-(Force)-Museum it is located today.

1657033007158.jpeg
1657033018288.jpeg

Last edited: