• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI M422A Development and Improvements

Hazayad

Here my humble attempt at the stenciling the obligatory USN on my Avi which I received just a few days ago.
I went a different route as I could not find any modeling paint but did find a permanent marker in silver. Online the company reassured me that it was weatherproof and suitable for leather. I figured that with a marker my sausage fingers were also less likely to make a pigs breakfast of it not having to try and brush clean lines. In the end it was straightforward and, with rubbing alcohol, you can easily fix small bleeds.
Thanks to all who prepared and provided stencils on this thread (@Ritchy and @coolhandluke).
IMG_20221123_111441233.jpg
IMG_20221123_115224889.jpg
IMG_20221123_115451074.jpg
IMG_20221123_120226197.jpg
IMG_20221123_120642817.jpg

Viking

Hello, I will received a M422A from AVI leather and I want to put the USN behind the collar. But, it appears on official mesurments that it is 8cm high... It 's seems to much. Can you tell me please how high are letters please ?

Regards

Jtrob

Here my humble attempt at the stenciling the obligatory USN on my Avi which I received just a few days ago.
I went a different route as I could not find any modeling paint but did find a permanent marker in silver. Online the company reassured me that it was weatherproof and suitable for leather. I figured that with a marker my sausage fingers were also less likely to make a pigs breakfast of it not having to try and brush clean lines. In the end it was straightforward and, with rubbing alcohol, you can easily fix small bleeds.
Thanks to all who prepared and provided stencils on this thread (@Ritchy and @coolhandluke).
View attachment 86587 View attachment 86588 View attachment 86589 View attachment 86590 View attachment 86591
Looks very nice. must let us know down the road how the perm marker wears.

Kermit3D

I did a few typography tests (out of curiosity), and the Arial font seems to be 95% suitable. Arialen Bold (not Regular or Black). But maybe others have found better. Of course, you have to respect the spacing of the letters as shown in the image.
On the Gordon & Ferguson M-422A (NXs. 416), the paint is matte silver, there's no white. I think it's best to paint directly in matte silver.

Here's a little comparison between Arial Bold and the original typography. It's not perfect, but it's close:

USN.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

Pa12

I did a few typography tests (out of curiosity), and the Arial font seems to be 95% suitable. Arialen Bold (not Regular or Black). But maybe others have found better. Of course, you have to respect the spacing of the letters as shown in the image.
On the Gordon & Ferguson M-422A (NXs. 416), the paint is matte silver, there's no white. I think it's best to paint directly in matte silver.

Here's a little comparison between Arial Bold and the original typography. It's not perfect, but it's close:

View attachment 134635

View attachment 134637
When we rebuilt the L-5 I managed to get a lot of specs on stenciling sizes, fonts and colours by writing to the Smithsonian institute. They have many original specs in their files. Possibly for jackets too?

xontros85

Finally my jacket arrived today!
Stunning!!
Thankfull @Kermit3D was so kind to and generous to post the original dimensions of the stencil
I ask from a professional to make a laser cutting stencil on thin plastic and now I’m ready to proceed
Any important tip before paint ?
I ll clean the area with wet towel, I ll use frog tape to mask it and center it and then I ll use the brush

Attachments

• IMG_4159.jpeg
    IMG_4159.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36