• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone interested in Fivestar horsehide? 3 shades in progress..

mulceber

They look like pretty typical Werber caramel knits to me. Lighter, at any rate, than Shawn’s russet/seal offerings.
E29BC889-8DDB-4593-99E4-D657F761B325.jpeg

ausreenactor

Members should not be asking other members what the prices are and whats available ? ,wouldn't you think .

Jeff
I agree. I dived in when I saw the FB update and could not find anything. New B-3 is on the website apparently.

I would hit the link and ordered a HH A-2 and paid by now. I am not a fan of email tennis and guessing.

Only tried it once and was blessed in the end. But, I agree with you 100%.

Bombing IP

Most people think I am out of order . But this way of doing business is not normal ,word of mouth customers cruise by and are not au fait with everything that's going on at FIVE STAR or whats offered or on the back burner .Then there gone missed opertunity but this is OK because we give him a pass because he is busy and the price is right .Look the man Shawn has made some boo boos and we pointed out in the past this is not how things are done ,this is one of those occasions . I am trying to help him get more revenue in not block the potential that's out there worldwide . He needs to get an Intern is to sort out the website if he is to busy not do all the work himself delegate and rise to the next level but oversea all not lose control . This extra revenue will afford him better equipment better materials and buying power .Once it is known he is a major manufacturer ,suppliers will be coming to him not him looking for what he need for the next project . Gone are the days of buying leather for 20 jackets buying leather for 150 jackets and getting a discount on the cost and sourcing primo material . I thought we were helping Shawn with the development and progress you all are acting like we have arrived and everything is how it should be . I do not understand the negativity to my comments what I am pointing out is basic .

Jeff

P-47 thunderbolt

What's the deal with five star? All sounds a bit suspect to me, copying aero styles and names, super cheap horsehide. How ethical is this company? Where is their source material coming from? Website is US but product made in Pakistan. Also why is the horsehide 'elastic'? Could it have been been rolled/stretched?

Shawn Ali

What's the deal with five star? All sounds a bit suspect to me, copying aero styles and names, super cheap horsehide. How ethical is this company? Where is their source material coming from? Website is US but product made in Pakistan. Also why is the horsehide 'elastic'? Could it have been been rolled/stretched?
Dear @P-47 thunderbolt

Thanks for your concerns and providing us the opportunity to explain these things, Regarding FiveStar Leather its Registered Brand Name in USA also have a Return Office in New York and FiveStar Leather GmbH is a Registered company in Germany also FiveStar Leather have a manufacturing company in Pakistan and there is no problem in that most of the US Leather supplies are already manufactured in Pakistan, and is totally fair and ethical practices are adopted, You can attest our Horsehide for their authenticity and real source from Any lab, our materials are 100% up to the international standards, All the sourcing are from Reputable companies of the world, any specific details you may also contact us at [email protected]

Regarding the Styles we are a custom manufacturing company and do not copy other brands jackets but the custom ideas of the customers with their own designs and custom needs.

Once again Thanks for this opportunity to explain these.

Best Regards

Shawn

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

Most people think I am out of order . But this way of doing business is not normal ,word of mouth customers cruise by and are not au fait with everything that's going on at FIVE STAR or whats offered or on the back burner .Then there gone missed opertunity but this is OK because we give him a pass because he is busy and the price is right .Look the man Shawn has made some boo boos and we pointed out in the past this is not how things are done ,this is one of those occasions . I am trying to help him get more revenue in not block the potential that's out there worldwide . He needs to get an Intern is to sort out the website if he is to busy not do all the work himself delegate and rise to the next level but oversea all not lose control . This extra revenue will afford him better equipment better materials and buying power .Once it is known he is a major manufacturer ,suppliers will be coming to him not him looking for what he need for the next project . Gone are the days of buying leather for 20 jackets buying leather for 150 jackets and getting a discount on the cost and sourcing primo material . I thought we were helping Shawn with the development and progress you all are acting like we have arrived and everything is how it should be . I do not understand the negativity to my comments what I am pointing out is basic .

Jeff
Dear Jeff

Really Thankful for all of the contributions and great ideas and advice's we get from you. I am already working hard to improve things and very soon will show you some good results.

Much Obliged

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Deal with 5*?
I get a jacket exactly according to my ideas and my own measurements at a reasonable price.
For this I accept that the choice of leather and colors is limited.
That's the deal.
And whoever is suspicious of that, just buys somewhere else.
Dear @MrProper

We will add some great leathers as we are continuously upgrading our self to the customer demands.

Yours Truly

Shawn

P-47 thunderbolt

Dear @P-47 thunderbolt

Thanks for your concerns and providing us the opportunity to explain these things, Regarding FiveStar Leather its Registered Brand Name in USA also have a Return Office in New York and FiveStar Leather GmbH is a Registered company in Germany also FiveStar Leather have a manufacturing company in Pakistan and there is no problem in that most of the US Leather supplies are already manufactured in Pakistan, and is totally fair and ethical practices are adopted, You can attest our Horsehide for their authenticity and real source from Any lab, our materials are 100% up to the international standards, All the sourcing are from Reputable companies of the word, any specific details you may also contact us at [email protected]

Regarding the Styles we are a custom manufacturing company and do not copy other brands jackets but the custom ideas of the customers with their own designs and custom needs.

Once again Thanks for this opportunity to explain these.

Best Regards

Shawn

Sounds okay with me! Didn't mean to sound rude, just wanted to find out a little more as I'm getting interested now the horsehide is out

Shawn Ali

Sounds okay with me! Didn't mean to sound rude, just wanted to find out a little more as I'm getting interested now the horsehide is out
Dear @P-47 thunderbolt

No problem, I always explain about FiveStar regarding any questions, we are fully responsible and you can expect good things and contributions from us to the enthusiasts, Regarding HH its currently in stock and very soon we will lists the different A2 Jackets in that. If you need any help or assistance you may write us at [email protected]

Best Regards

Shawn

mulceber

To answer P-47’s question about the HH, I’ve got samples incoming (they’re scheduled to arrive Monday), and then I’ll plan on posting a full review. I’m a little disconcerted about the alleged elasticity as well. I don’t think it could have been stretched, as I would think that would make it have less give, not more. It could be that it’s too thin. At any rate, I’m going to withhold judgment until I’ve got the leather in hand. The character looks great. I just hope it’s every bit as good as it looks.

mulceber

Okay, the samples of Five Star's Horsehide just arrived today, and I've had the time to examine them, photograph them in sunlight, and photograph them next to jackets from other major makers. Off the bat, I'll say that the color and grain of these samples are both great. The seal is a bit dark for my tastes, but it'll be great for anyone contemplating a Great Escape style jacket.
08C077F8-8B07-4935-A45C-FF706A0FE492_1_105_c.jpeg

Samples overlaid on...
(1) BK Liberty Seal:
D3D397F4-DC86-4AED-B52C-AB4010002BBB_1_105_c.jpeg

(2) BK Liberty Russet:
B69A8F65-6C2F-4BC0-AD8A-ECA69C2A8131_1_105_c.jpeg

(3) ELC Warhorse Havana (russet):
9BC96812-47FF-496B-9E96-46A0A63A4605_1_105_c.jpeg

One of the big issues that came up in earlier reviews of these leathers is the alleged stretchiness of this leather. There is definitely a stretch to this leather, which I tend to think arises from it being a little thinner than most of the horsehides on offer today. For context, Shawn included a sample chart of his other leathers. The horsehide samples are (unsurprisingly) less stretchy than his capeskin, but that isn't saying much. They're about as stretchy as many of his goatskin offerings. I don't think this is a big issue, although those who really want a bullet proof horsehide jacket may feel differently.
31870367-B721-422C-8E3F-9B1E9787E2F5_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

Hard to say without a pair of calipers, which I don't have. Shawn himself has said elsewhere that the new Horsehide is in the range of 0.9-1.0 mm thick. A little on the thin side, but not a huge problem. It's positively an asset for replicating the Poughkeepsie contract, which John Chapman has noted was made of a thinner horsehide than other A-2s.

flyincowboy

OK seems nice leather but on the thin side. checked the thickness on an original one and it look like 1mm2/1mm3 to me it will be too soft .

mulceber

I would advise you that leather thickness isn’t everything. Keep in mind that the originals were tanned using methods that aren’t used anymore, which gave them a drape that modern leathers of the same thickness have trouble matching.