• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone interested in Fivestar horsehide? 3 shades in progress..

ties70

Hi all,

@Shawn Ali is in the process of preparing and offering three different shades of horsehide, soon.

Here is the first one in FS characteristic reddish russet:

received_287101746148633.jpeg

received_779907596258797.jpeg

received_175388110930666.jpeg

If this is the standard quality then we can expect a nice hide with different grains and a really good character. Thickness is 0.8 to 1.0 mm.

Ties

Chandler

What size is the jacket? The length from the shoulders to the pockets looks loooong.

Or maybe the pockets are small?

ties70

What size is the jacket? The length from the shoulders to the pockets looks loooong.

Or maybe the pockets are small?

Chandler,

I am pretty sure that - like almost every FS - this is a customized jacket.
I think Shawn is a regular 42, so this is no new Dubow HH prototype, but "just" the first Dubow in HH... made in size 48, after a customers wish list.

Ties

Chandler

Never mind, I think it was image distortion on my small screen. The second set doesn't look as exaggerated.

BTW -- the box-stitching on the epaulets isn't quite right. I think someone pointed this out to Shawn previously.

leper-colony

I’m 90% sure that Poughkeepsie is a Depot Redye. That dark color of horse will be great if you want the re-dyed look, but otherwise one of the other two would be better, IMO.
I would agree with this.

The detached pocket flap on the seal leather identified for the Star actually looks like its from the Poughkeepsie. Looking at the rolled edge, is original color was russet.

Overall liking the leathers and grains!

Last edited:

leper-colony

The Dubow russet goat that Shawn created did look red to me in pictures during development, but appeared chocolate to me seeing it in person.

I'm truly curious on the colors.

leper-colony

Yep, as far as I know. I suppose it could also be either the 1935 or 1939 contract. The label is missing and I don’t know on what basis it was identified.
The earlier used a solid rivet while that later used a tubular rivet?

This one looks solid?