• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Chandler

Sounds like an “atta boy” is warranted here. Having been what was known as size “ Husky” most of my childhood and wearing a size 52 sport coat during my college football playing days (lifted a shit load of weights) I’m happier and a heck of a lot healthier at my current size. I know you know all that, but you deserve a thumbs up for staying with the program that got you where you are today. And I’m pretty sure that there are more previously worn 42s out there then 44s or 46s. So congrats on your new bod :)
Thanks for the encouragement (and I remember those "husky" sizes), and I don't know why I feel some sense of loss at dropping a size -- it was a literal surprise from one year to the next. Maybe because I was a 44 for so long, don't know.

My older size 40 suit fits well (sentimental keep from some years back from an old, traditional store in my hometown), but I'm sure it's a bigger size 40 because my old Flight Apparel Industries 42 A-2 is still more snug than I like.

Then there's the whole weirdness in clothing sizes anymore.

I'm hoping to get tailor measurements for a new jacket soon, it will be interesting to ask this craftsman his views on sizing.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sorry to post the Bronson L-2A again so soon, but I'm pretty pleased with the jacket. It's the perfect weight for fall/ springtime, waterproof, extremely comfortable, and looks great with jeans, khakis, and dress slacks. I see it getting a ton of wear time in the future.

20220912_141403.jpg

20220912_141430.jpg

Smithy

Sorry to post the Bronson L-2A again so soon, but I'm pretty pleased with the jacket. It's the perfect weight for fall/ springtime, waterproof, extremely comfortable, and looks great with jeans, khakis, and dress slacks. I see it getting a ton of wear time in the future.

View attachment 83267

View attachment 83268

Nice jacket and I'm not usually a fan of the nylon flight jackets with the knits collars but that really does look great.

I hope you don't mind but I'm even more interested in those baseball gloves. Are those original gloves from famous players?

coolhandluke

Nice jacket and I'm not usually a fan of the nylon flight jackets with the knits collars but that really does look great.

I hope you don't mind but I'm even more interested in those baseball gloves. Are those original gloves from famous players?

Thanks Smithy.

Yes, I've collected vintage baseball gloves since I was in middle school. The ones shown in the photos are just overflow from my collection that I use for display at my work office. Those gloves are from the '50's and '60's timeframes. The bulk of my collection that is displayed at my home are '20's through '50's era gloves. Nothing overly valuable, just gloves in good condition that I've inherited from family members or purchased in antique shops, etc.

The only valuable glove that I've purchased over the years was a Rawlings Mickey Mantle Heart of the Hide XPG-6 that I found at a thrift store for $1 when I was in 7th grade. Sadly, I traded it several years ago for an unissued Lee Enfield No 4 MK II.

Last edited:

Smithy

Thanks Smithy.

Yes, I've collected vintage baseball gloves since I was in middle school. The ones shown in the photos are just overflow from my collection that I use for display at my work office. Those gloves are from the '50's and '60's timeframes. The bulk of my collection that is displayed at my home are '20's through '50's era gloves. Nothing overly valuable, just gloves in good condition that I've inherited from family members or purchased in antique shops, etc.

The only valuable glove that I've purchased over the years was a Rawlings Mickey Mantle Heart of the Hide XPG-6 that I found at a thrift store for $1 when I was in 7th grade. Sadly, I traded it several years ago for an unissued Lee Enfield No 4 MK II.
Doh!

Your collection sounds great. There's something really tangible about old sports equipment and uniforms, etc. In many ways it's that same kind of feeling as with original wartime stuff, as in it's objects that have been there and done what they had to do.

Nice hobby and nice thing to collect!

mulceber

watta joy to see the oldies being worn. not every day of course, but once in a while just to give them a little air, and let them know that they still have have some life outside of the chest,, box, or where ever they are stowed.
Funny you should mention that. I'm down at the National Museum of the Air Force right now with @B-Man2 , and, needless to say, we brought jackets. I'm wearing United Sheeplined and Burt's got an (incredible) Aero 21996:
5F710393-D17D-4C9B-B104-0EDD207F1CEE.jpeg

Last edited:

bseal

Funny you should mention that. I'm down at the National Museum of the Air Force right now with @B-Man2 , and, needless to say, we brought jackets. I'm wearing United Sheeplined for me and Burt's got an (incredible) Aero 21996:
View attachment 83285

I didn’t recognize Burt, but not because his face wasn’t tactically obscured as his custom. It was due to the alarming fact that his collar wasn’t up?!

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Funny you should mention that. I'm down at the National Museum of the Air Force right now with @B-Man2 , and, needless to say, we brought jackets. I'm wearing United Sheeplined and Burt's got an (incredible) Aero 21996:
View attachment 83285
It is awesome to see forum members getting together, going to the right places wearing the right attire! As Vic put it, the Right Stuff! If you have the time, please post some pictures of the Air Force Museum.