• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

P2725TMB

I may stand corrected, but believe these are Japanese 5 Yen coins. I had one (still have it) that was on the puller of a WW2 G&F M-422a and also had a couple of jackets (long gone) that had a few, like yours. I understood it was for good luck, but may also be simply convenience to help use the zip pull!

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I may stand corrected, but believe these are Japanese 5 Yen coins. I had one (still have it) that was on the puller of a WW2 G&F M-422a and also had a couple of jackets (long gone) that had a few, like yours. I understood it was for good luck, but may also be simply convenience to help use the zip pull!
Interesting info, could be Japanese! I will ask a couple Asian friends I have to see if they recognize them.

Teddy

I've just looked it up on the net. It is Japanese 5 Yen and they are supposed to be lucky. Mine is, it appears, a 1951 coin. As I say, it came off a ww2 M422a, but the jacket had had a military refurb, so likely went on being used right in the 1950s.

Yes that's Kanji (Japanese-styled Chinese characters). It says:
"Japan Country"
"Showa (Era) Twenty Sixth Year"

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I've just looked it up on the net. It is Japanese 5 Yen and they are supposed to be lucky. Mine is, it appears, a 1951 coin. As I say, it came off a ww2 M422a, but the jacket had had a military refurb, so likely went on being used right in the 1950s.

The same! Thanks @P2725TMB and @nkang for that info!
I did a quick post with more details on this one. Hope you enjoy it!
Jorge

Last edited:

Skanstull

Wearing my brand new ELC 1401P that I unwrapped five minutes earlier. Very happy with it, size is spot on. I hope I can snap some pictures in natural light in the weekend. I need to mould the collar but I'll wait until I have figured out how I want it to look.
ELC 1401P-2.jpg

Garylafortuna

Skanstull, that is a very sweet looking Rough Wear, with the oversized collar, the collar stand, the slightly blousy cut around the midriff. The fit is perfect for you. My very first A-2 was a RW 1401P from Diamond Dave, which I am very attached to. As for molding the collar, you could keep it snapped down for a while, although when I was a kid my mother used to tape my ears to my head because she thought they stuck out too far, but I don't think it worked.

Last edited:

Skanstull

Looks great! Great fit too. How do you go about moulding the collar?
Good question! I’m a novice but I know there are lots of people here who have put a lot of thought into it over the years. I need to go through some old threads. From a practical perspective, I’m thinking of just making it wet and then use my hands to form it to the shape I want. Maybe easier said than done...

Smithy

Good question! I’m a novice but I know there are lots of people here who have put a lot of thought into it over the years. I need to go through some old threads. From a practical perspective, I’m thinking of just making it wet and then use my hands to form it to the shape I want. Maybe easier said than done...

Do what Burt said in the post immediately prior to yours - pop the collar up and wear in the rain as it "relaxes" the drape of it. Whilst still damp you can squish it up and squeeze it if that takes your fancy too. Wearing in the rain is one of the best things you can do to break not only the collar in but the whole jacket too, also manual labour - carrying firewood, doing some work on the car, etc are excellent.

Saint-ex

Ok, but how do we do when we live in big city in an apartment without a fireplace and never work on a car? :p

Fortunately, the rainy days are going to be more and more frequent.
I did not mean to say that one day.