• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Nickb123

GW 16160. Quite a unique cut compared to many other contracts.

A1DFCD4A-B635-45DB-B26B-96D39CF4638E.jpeg

ZuZu

@Wz1999 sweet! It can be tough to find a 55J14 without red rot, or so I'm told. What contract is that?

I'm curious as to where the notion that 55j14s are prone to red rot comes from! I own 3 original Star made 55j14s right now and they are made with beautiful indestructible goatskin. I've collected jackets since '76; I handled most of the G-1 types JC had when he made his CD ROM and I didn't notice any red rot on any Navy jackets, much less 55j14s. I owned one of the Pritzker G-1s on the CD which did have some finish wear which could possibly be mistaken for red rot but the underlying leather was fine. In my experience the 1940s and '50s goatskin with which M422s thru 7823s are made with is incredible unageing, almost magical goatskin.

It would be good to know which contracts are prone to red rot. I owned 2 Spiewak A-2s back in my youth which didn't have red rot (and given my obsessive nature thank God I didn't know about their predeliction to this!) so I guess ignorance is bliss!

B-Man2

For some reason Spiewak A2’s were know for developing “Red Rot” and there are a few photos of a couple somewhere on this forums archieves . It was discussed here a few years back and the consensus of opinion was that the development of “Red Rot” may have had something to do with the tanning processes that were used on goatskin back in the day .
That’s about all I can share with you, others here have more info on the topic .

ZuZu

For some reason Spiewak A2’s were know for developing “Red Rot” and there are a few photos of a couple somewhere on this forums archieves . It was discussed here a few years back and the consensus of opinion was that the development of “Red Rot” may have had something to do with the tanning processes that were used on goatskin back in the day .
That’s about all I can share with you, others here have more info on the topic .

I knew about the Spiewak red rot from this forum and quite a few Ebay sales. it would really suck to get a relatively perfect goatskin jacket which then developed this insidious condition.

B-Man2

I knew about the Spiewak red rot from this forum and quite a few Ebay sales. it would really suck to get a relatively perfect goatskin jacket which then developed this insidious condition.
I don’t know if there’s a fix for it, other than replacing the damaged areas.

ES335

ZuZu

You can't fool us, that's an Eastman! ;)

It may as well be -- it's in damn perfect condition!

It's got new cuffs and waistband and the male side of the zip is a repro Conmar replacement. The leather is so soft and compliant that the mouton collar has actually stretched flat since the goatskin doesn't hold it in place. I actually like it better to wear than some more perfect looking G-1s I have...

Sideslip

Damn 'Slip. It might get better, but nooooot much! Great photograghy too, if I may...
Thank you! This is another photo taken by my 11 year old with the iPhone. He says he wants to be a fighter pilot with a YouTube channel when he grows up o_O :oops:, but maybe he can become a leather flight jacket official photographer as back up!

I have only had it a couple of weeks and learning more about A2s. It is very comfortable to wear (in a good way) which is nice.

mulceber

I'm curious as to where the notion that 55j14s are prone to red rot comes from! I own 3 original Star made 55j14s right now and they are made with beautiful indestructible goatskin. I've collected jackets since '76; I handled most of the G-1 types JC had when he made his CD ROM and I didn't notice any red rot on any Navy jackets, much less 55j14s. I owned one of the Pritzker G-1s on the CD which did have some finish wear which could possibly be mistaken for red rot but the underlying leather was fine. In my experience the 1940s and '50s goatskin with which M422s thru 7823s are made with is incredible unageing, almost magical goatskin.

It would be good to know which contracts are prone to red rot. I owned 2 Spiewak A-2s back in my youth which didn't have red rot (and given my obsessive nature thank God I didn't know about their predeliction to this!) so I guess ignorance is bliss!
Off the top of my head, I think Dave Sheeley has mentioned it a couple times. I know for sure he's pointed to individual 55J14 contracts that are prone to it (e.g. Aviators Clothing Co.). That said, the 55J14 contracts were issued over several years to a bunch of different manufacturers in different cities, so it’s unlikely every contract was prone to red rot. Could just be that a few contracts had it, and it was enough to give the 55J14s a reputation among restorers.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Thank you! This is another photo taken by my 11 year old with the iPhone. He says he wants to be a fighter pilot with a YouTube channel when he grows up o_O :oops:, but maybe he can become a leather flight jacket official photographer as back up!

I have only had it a couple of weeks and learning more about A2s. It is very comfortable to wear (in a good way) which is nice.
Great, let your son not change his mind and fulfill his dream, especially since he probably often flies with you.
My children were going to follow my way but eventually changed their minds. Although maybe it's for the best now, who knows. However, I'm a little sorry about it.

ZuZu

Off the top of my head, I think Dave Sheeley has mentioned it a couple times. I know for sure he's pointed to individual 55J14 contracts that are prone to it (e.g. Aviators Clothing Co.). That said, the 55J14 contracts were issued over several years to a bunch of different manufacturers in different cities, so it’s unlikely every contract was prone to red rot. Could just be that a few contracts had it, and it was enough to give the 55J14s a reputation among restorers.
Makes sense that restorers would see it more often. Thanks for the info.