• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

bseal

Yes, that certainly could be true. But would a pilot typically keep his collar under the harness? That does not seem very comfortable.

Do we have a copy of the A-1 specification? The 37J1 specification 3.(e) says: "Wristlets, collar, and bottom of jacket shall be a closely knitted wool worsted." Nothing about ribbing there. Ribbing makes sense at the wrists and the bottom of the jacket, but the case for the collar is less compelling. Later jackets like the A-2 and M-422 did not have collars that stretched. Perhaps there was a later revision to the A-1 specification that required ribbing but the early spec was similar to 37J1. There is more variation in the design of the A-1 than the A-2 so differences like this are plausible. The only A-1 collars that look felted to me have visible edge stitching and a D-shaped (rather than closed/circular) button loop.

Perhaps the resolution on this photo is just not high enough, but:

View attachment 80598

If you zoom in on this Doolittle image, the collar looks the same, appears to resemble fleece.
51CAC856-EE01-46F1-8983-D244A7207AAE.jpeg

Smithy

Once again too hot for a jacket so this is another “ Throw Back Wednesday” jacket that was posted during cooler times. An original WWII size 46 Horsehide Bronco. Thanks for checking it out
View attachment 80738View attachment 80740View attachment 80739

Cut your hair you bum! :D:D:D:D

Joking aside that's one sweet Bronco Burt and in great nick.

I'm in my RNZAF A2/G1 lovechild jacket
It's got a weird top dye finish but quite well made and we'll thought out pocket placement

That's the Kiwis for you, brilliance mixed with a little weirdness ;)

Jacket-wise in Vikingland nothing doing, still too warm. Global warming is buggering up my jacket wearing.

newagegeezer

Hi Newagegeezer,

I think I know which camo you are referring to, the M1929 Telo Mimetico that had many variation over the years. I am sure that design did influence Otto Schick in the 30's when he was task with developing a new camo system for the germans.

I admire your history of collecting and travels. Visiting Pegasus bridge in jeep in an original M422A... You've set the bar very high man!

Like Burt and Steve, your anecdotes are always fun to read.

Again, thank you for sharing, appreciated and looking forward to another glance at the past.

Dany
Thanks Dany,
as you're appreciating them here's another pic from a Dday mission, in teh camouflage, this was '84 I think
Hi Newagegeezer,

I think I know which camo you are referring to, the M1929 Telo Mimetico that had many variation over the years. I am sure that design did influence Otto Schick in the 30's when he was task with developing a new camo system for the germans.

I admire your history of collecting and travels. Visiting Pegasus bridge in jeep in an original M422A... You've set the bar very high man!

Like Burt and Steve, your anecdotes are always fun to read.

Again, thank you for sharing, appreciated and looking forward to another glance at the past.

Dany
Thanks for the kind words, Dany
Chats with Steve show we were both buying from the old military surplus shops back when this stuff was looked on as cheap workwear, I still have a couple of pairs of ww2 or Korean war "chinos" that I've worn quite often since the '70s... so well made and hardwearing. I'll look out for some other Dday rally photos, went to all the main ones from about '75 till '95
Cheers
John