• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Lord Flashheart

Toys McCoy B-3
CB930246-AC84-44B5-8EC4-0A31012DEAFF.jpeg

OperationCoffee

Whenever I see a Brit properly attired with their Irvin on they look more .... natural/in their element. There just aren't nearly enough sartorial precedents for wearing a heavy shearling jacket in America these days. You couldn't catch me dead with a baseball cap on while wearing an Irvin. Woolen watch cap / beanie, yes ( Phigvel makes good stuff) or a B2.

Last edited:

Micawber

Whenever I see a Brit properly attired with their Irvin on they look more .... natural/in their element. There just aren't nearly enough sartorial precedents for wearing a heavy shearling jacket in America these days. You couldn't catch me dead with a baseball cap on while wearing an Irvin. Woolen watch cap / beanie, yes ( Phigvel makes good stuff) or a B2.

This 'Brit' or rather 'Englishman' is grateful for your observations. Speaking personally I don't look upon original or repro of military issue shearling garments as a kind of sartorial wear. I suppose what sticks in my mind and colours my view is being ancient enough to have been around when RAF shearling jackets were viewed as so much military surplus and widely available for little money and widely worn [and worn out] as work and bike wear.

As far as I can recall the only time I wore a baseball cap was when I attended this or that reunion as it had space to have my name and 'job' embroidered across the front which helped identify who, and what I was. That was not something that could easily be achieved on my usual style of headwear ;)

newagegeezer

I'm even more ancient (venerable ?) than Steve and remember buying my first Irvin in about 1960 from Millets' military surplus emporium in Lewisham, London along with a pair of flying boots to wear on my first motorcycle, an early '50s 350 Matchless. Also picked up a few M41s for summer wear over the years from there and teh occasional A2. The clothes were stacked high in piles, fun sorting through looking for one's size. Luckily being a skinny "ration years" kid hardly anything was too big. As Steve says this clothing was just cheap workwear back then. All i had from that era wore out and was thrown away years ago, sob sob

Micawber

I'm even more ancient (venerable ?) than Steve and remember buying my first Irvin in about 1960 from Millets' military surplus emporium in Lewisham, London along with a pair of flying boots to wear on my first motorcycle, an early '50s 350 Matchless. Also picked up a few M41s for summer wear over the years from there and teh occasional A2. The clothes were stacked high in piles, fun sorting through looking for one's size. Luckily being a skinny "ration years" kid hardly anything was too big. As Steve says this clothing was just cheap workwear back then. All i had from that era wore out and was thrown away years ago, sob sob

Aye, as the venerable gentleman rightly states it was a case of stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap. My local Millets' was run for years by a squat old gal who always had a fag [cigarette] on the go and wore multiple layers of jumpers and cardigans. She appeared to be always miserable and if you dared to approach her would only utter grudgingly to point you in the direction of where you might, just might, find what you were looking for. She would view everyone as if they were about to rob the place. Her idea of a stockroom was piles of stuff stacked on the stairs, under sale rails and in every nook and cranny so that the only way around the place was via narrow gangways through the 'stuff'. There was a proper stockroom but that too was piled high with gear. Same ethos regarding military surplus applied on the the various market stalls which were a feature of most towns and cities decades before the majority of stalls became trendy, faddy, food outlets, lifestyle trinkets and cheap stuff made in far off lands.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I suppose what sticks in my mind and colours my view is being ancient enough to have been around when RAF shearling jackets were viewed as so much military surplus and widely available for little money and widely worn [and worn out] as work and bike wear.

I'm even more ancient (venerable ?) than Steve and remember buying my first Irvin in about 1960 from Millets' military surplus emporium in Lewisham, London along with a pair of flying boots to wear on my first motorcycle, an early '50s 350 Matchless.

Gents,

I am not that ancient... But I can appreciate those anecdotes about something or a time when you could easily find or acquire a piece of history rooted in the 30's 40's and 50's.

About 5 years ago a gentleman told me he use to buy WW2 Lee-Enfield surplus rifles for like 15$ at an old surplus that was very close to my home in downtown Montreal.

Keep em coming!

Dany

Pilot

Uhhh!
As a „second class“ Frenchman… due to „ Par le Sang Versé“… I really love and appreciate the saber’s crossing inbetween „Englishmen“ and other „ Gentlemen“ from or beyond the Largest Nicest Kingdom with a French device on its Royals flags ( Honi soit qui mal y pense… Dieu et mon droit ‚ ) and armory.
Many thanks for that „ Messieurs les Anglais“
You and your world famous sense of Humor made again my day :cool:
AD2CEEE3-6F44-4019-A473-7FCB15793138.jpeg

Micawber

There are several things that my recent encounter with the Big C brought home, one is to try to hard keep things in perspective and another is never to take yourself too seriously. With the latter in mind here is my attempt at increasing the sartorial presence of this 'Brit' while wearing my old ELC Irvin.
I also thought that instead of the usual Springer Spaniel accompaniment one of our black Labradors would be more fitting :D;)

Excuse the portly appearance, the jumper hides a thick fleece shirt.

Just a bit of fun...

IMG_20220120_141342_165~2_resize_95.jpg

Micawber

Thank you Steve, picked this up from our Mr Lever last year and haven't worn it enough. I'm not sure a village hall kitchen is the right setting but it was a good choice on a cold evening. This might not be a spot on B-3 repro but it's very comfortable and that counts for much.

Comfort counts for a good deal in my view. You should have popped over to our village hall, we have a brand new one don't ya know ;)

Lord Flashheart

Comfort counts for a good deal in my view. You should have popped over to our village hall, we have a brand new one don't ya know ;)

That's all very well but my am dram group meets across the border ... and if you're really lucky I won't tell you when our next performance is ;)