• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

jeremiah

00F05068-6A17-4E64-B7FB-D3A4C02D552C.jpeg

Filson again today. I just made this minimalist wallet. Made of the same Bridal tanned leather from Wickett and Craig that Filson uses in their heavy twill original briefcase.

Grant

I like this modification and find it practical. Wish we would see more originals to compare and analyse.

Dany, Gary based this on an original 27752 in his collection, which was most likely a personalized modification done by an individual trying to stay warm. As far as I know it wasn't a common practice.

Dany McDonald

Grant,

I was aware it's a custom mod, I remember a Aero on Yahoo Japan that was lined with some cloth, the asking price was up there. The original cotton lining and tag were still in place. It must have been uncomfortable with all that material shoved into such a slim jacket.

Dany.

Dany McDonald

Yeah, not counting Gary's copy, I've maybe seen it on one original that had that kind of modification. Seems like a neat one though. How much would you say it improves the warmth of the jacket?

My guess is that you can add another 10°C of tolerance to the cold. The cloth by itself is not that thick with medium thermal properties. The restrain is in the fact that you can under-layer to a certain point in an already slim jacket, by design. Still I would probably enjoy wearing the style (A-2) up to nov-dec in my region with this mod. But I love my B-10/15 and N-3's a lot...

D

Tattoo A2

Yeah, not counting Gary's copy, I've maybe seen it on one original that had that kind of modification. Seems like a neat one though. How much would you say it improves the warmth of the jacket?
It was 17 degrees when I left for work this morning so I put an A1 mechanics sweater on along with the A2 jacket. I dont think the lining makes much of a difference at all to me. It really isnt that much thicker than the cotton lining. Who knows , maybe the owner of the original Roughwear it is based on destroyed his original lining and thats all that was on hand at the time to repair it, or it might have been done post war after the lining was worn out. I got a good deal on the jacket so I went for it, dont think I could afford one brand new.

Mr. Mike

Given the sleeves are not lined in wool, but regular cotton liner material, it's not significantly warmer. That said, it is nice to have on hand when it's a little chilly.

View attachment 71504
Wow Grant! That is a cool one! “… seen quite a bit of wear.” appears like centuries. How long do you have it already? I thought this model just came up max two years ago (?!?)

Dany McDonald

I had a flash while trying to remember the Aero with the custom lining and it was what looked like the alpaca from a B-10 just crudely sewn over the lining, hence the tear revelling the tag. Interesting and I should have saved some images.

Dany