• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

ties70

Again it's not vintage.

Surely I am!

Oh, you are talking about the jacket with regards to this forum's name.... Well, it's not leather either.

As are hundred of other reproduction (cloth / nylon / wool) jackets shown here over the years... Personally, I think most of the threads would be quite boring if the same 20 collectors would show each other the same pics of the same 3 dozen originals they own... But that's probably just me ;)

Ties

Smithy

Plenty of room here for originals, top of the line repros and even the more pedestrian ones too.

It's like Heinz's 57 varieties here , something for everyone, from the cream of tomato soup right up to the fancy pants gherkins of jackets.

Smithy

Yep, it doesn’t have to be your cup of tea. I think very few of us are interested in EVERYTHING this board has to offer.

Too right Jan, there's a broad selection of people on here with diverse interests and priorities and that's how it should be.

There's only one thing I cannot stand (and it's not just here but anywhere) and that's snobs who try and lord it over others because they have more money, fancier things or whatever. Doing that just makes you a wanker.

Spitfireace

Surely I am!

Oh, you are talking about the jacket with regards to this forum's name.... Well, it's not leather either.

As are hundred of other reproduction (cloth / nylon / wool) jackets shown here over the years... Personally, I think most of the threads would be quite boring if the same 20 collectors would show each other the same pics of the same 3 dozen originals they own... But that's probably just me ;)

Ties
sure you can not .... I have very many reproductions

mulceber

Too right Jan, there's a broad selection of people on here with diverse interests and priorities and that's how it should be.

There's only one thing I cannot stand (and it's not just here but anywhere) and that's snobs who try and lord it over others because they have more money, fancier things or whatever. Doing that just makes you a wanker.

Agreed completely. I remember before Heisenberg got the boot, when he was showing off his collection, I actually thought it was rather boring. All of his jackets were perfect, and so there was no variety to his collection at all. After the first couple jackets we saw, my eyes glazed over. I’m glad we have a wide range of jackets that we discuss on this board, from originals and Good Wears to AVI and Five Star.

Spitfireace

Surely I am!

Ties
Might be boring at least it''s authentic.

ausreenactor

Just out of curiosity, what did Heisenberg’s perfect collection consist of? @mulceber
Initially poor representations of flight jackets with some great art, then some off the peg jackets bought through VLJ , TFL and Ebay. Then a pipeline of GWs when he had a bit more knowledge... and then everything / everyone else were not up to the elite collector status. Went from Zero to Hero and back to Zero in under two years. Possibly an internet record.

mulceber

Initially poor representations of flight jackets with some great art, then some off the peg jackets bought through VLJ , TFL and Ebay. Then a pipeline of GWs when he had a bit more knowledge... and then everything / everyone else were not up to the elite collector status. Went from Zero to Hero and back to Zero in under two years. Possibly an internet record.

Yep, for a while there it seemed like he had settled on Good Wear jackets and Eastman shearling, but then even Eastman wasn’t good enough, and it was GW shearling as well. It need hardly be said that GW jackets are great, but the attitude of “nothing else is worth my time” grated a bit. No Sheeley navy jackets, no 27798 from Platon, no originals. It was a really blinkered attitude to collecting.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

20210827_184040.jpg

mulceber

Yep, now I can see it - the collar was a little hard to identify from that angle, but no mistaking it, now that you point it out. Always great to see an original. Once the weather cools down I’ll get some outdoor shots with mine. There’s just no way to do it comfortably or responsibly when the mercury is sitting pretty at 30 Celsius.