• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Lorenzo_l

Vintage Soviet Air Force horsehide flight jacket from 1975

Very nice jacket, Dmitry. Do Russian fighter pilots still use this type of leather jacket as flight gear? I have seen what appear to be relatively recent photographs of aircrew wearing leather jackets in both multi- and single-crew military aircraft and I was wondering, since in the west flight gear is mostly made out of synthetic material these days.

Flightengineer

Very nice jacket, Dmitry. Do Russian fighter pilots still use this type of leather jacket as flight gear? I have seen what appear to be relatively recent photographs of aircrew wearing leather jackets in both multi- and single-crew military aircraft and I was wondering, since in the west flight gear is mostly made out of synthetic material these days.

Thank you Lorenzo. I love this jacket, it belonged to the pilot of a military Il-76. As far as I know, these jackets (or rather their modern versions) are used in much the same way as modern A-2s in the USAF. Pilots wear them at base or very limited for flight (pilots of transport planes or copters). Just like in the US, they are issued, but now they are more of a status indicator than flight clothes.
Two years ago a new jacket for the Air Force was presented here and I showed photo that I took at an air show on manufacturer's booth. But this is a different jacket, it is more high-tech and it is also clearly not intended for fighter pilots.

Lorenzo_l

Thank you Lorenzo. I love this jacket, it belonged to the pilot of a military Il-76. As far as I know, these jackets (or rather their modern versions) are used in much the same way as modern A-2s in the USAF. Pilots wear them at base or very limited for flight (pilots of transport planes or copters). Just like in the US, they are issued, but now they are more of a status indicator than flight clothes.
Two years ago a new jacket for the Air Force was presented here and I showed photo that I took at an air show on manufacturer's booth. But this is a different jacket, it is more high-tech and it is also clearly not intended for fighter pilots.

Thanks for clarifying, Dmitry!

ties70

The thin red line between "making a fool out of yourself" and "being the greatest hero for a nine year old daughter " ...

IMG-20210508-WA0000.jpg

Please don't hate me just because I am beautiful!!

Ties