• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Lorenzo_l

Seriously Dmitry it's a piece of cake. Anyone interested in having a go, I'd suggest going on Youtube and having a look. There's thousands of really good instructional videos about how to do it.

I got my wife to have a look at a couple and after that she had no problems.

Back in the the pre-YouTube era, I'd just slap on the 10mm guard and buzz away until hair stopped falling to the floor. It kind of dubbled as an electric head massage too. I may not be sohisticated, but it was certainly fit for purpose and then some. With my SO putting the finishing touches these days, well, it's just great!

Last edited:

Smithy

When you consider that cutting your own hair will save you a bit of cash, a family with a couple of boys would be a real savings.

Money could be tight for people after this with the big economic fallout so this is a great way to save some money and do something for yourself.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we, modern human beings have become far too reliant of getting other people to do things that we ourselves (or our families can do). We're used to paying someone else to do things for us, and we've forgotten how to be proactive and do things ourselves and find solutions to things through our own initiative.

Something as simple as a haircut shouldn't be something we can't at least be able to do ourselves in a pinch.

Brettafett

My mom was a hairdresser, a good one. Only had my first barber experience when I was in my 20s. I have clipped my own noggin in the past, just gets tricky trying see the back of your head!
Even with a mirror, its like landing a wounded Spitfire with a one hand.

One funny story, mum gently 'bleached' my hair once for school-holiday fun, a mate happened to pop over and wanted it also, she obliged. Problem was we got talking and talking. When we realised the time and took all the bits off, he looked like a Leopard. White spots amid dark brown hair. My god, I almost died. My mate's hair was already relatively short, so had to live with it for a few weeks.

Lorenzo_l

Money could be tight for people after this with the big economic fallout so this is a great way to save some money and do something for yourself.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we, modern human beings have become far too reliant of getting other people to do things that we ourselves (or our families can do). We're used to paying someone else to do things for us, and we've forgotten how to be proactive and do things ourselves and find solutions to things through our own initiative.

Something as simple as a haircut shouldn't be something we can't at least be able to do ourselves in a pinch.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

saucerfiend

I’m kinda laughing to myself while reading this thread. When I was a kid my mom used to cut my hair to save money, now back in those days haircuts were only . 25 cents and there were truly bad haircuts, because everyone had the same style haircut which was the standard part on the side, white walls cut and anything different was considered a bad haircut for a kid. So every time she made a mistake she would simply take the clippers and scalp me down to a Vin Diesel shaved head look . Now while that might be the style of today, it was a terrible look for a kid back in those days, and basically told the world that your family was too poor to send their kids to a barber and tried to cut their hair themselves and screwed up.
But today there is no such thing as a bad haircut and from what I’ve seen, anything goes!:D
View attachment 35207
That took talent! Sure you don't want one Burt?

Micawber

Good set of clippers

...then practice on the cat, dog then finally wife before attempting to do your own.

........I'll get me coat!

But seriously, a decent set of clippers with guards, start with the longest all over, then go down one or two and do lower down, then down again. Always work into the hair, not with it. At Tim says watch some Youtube tutorials or just do as I do and go for a #2 all over, shorter at the back and sides [not that I have much ontop now anyway]. You can either taper the pack and sides or get a partner or wife to do a defined edge. Couple of goes and you will be away. Styles take a but more practice but these are utilitarian times so stick to utility cuts.

Anyway, hair grows right, cock it up and you get to try again in a couple of weeks, it's not as though any of us are attending functions and dinner parties at the moment anyway.

petermack09

The set I use I did actually buy to trim the dog, he passed shortly after and I noticed they were sharper than mine. :)
Lol me too,,I bought them to use on my springer & she passed,,work a treat ,well they do on me,wee teanie looked a bit shell shocked & could only go out in the dark for a couple of weeks :)
image.jpg

Micawber

Lol me too,,I bought them to use on my springer & she passed,,work a treat ,well they do on me,wee teanie looked a bit shell shocked & could only go out in the dark for a couple of weeks :)View attachment 35214

Wahl are major clipper makers and probably slap another logo on that set and flog them as human beard trimmers! I don't think I'll be giving our horse clippers a try on my noggin...

Smithy

My clippers are Wahl. Got them years ago but they do a good job.

By the way don't take any notice of any clipper makers who say you have to buy their "special" clipper oil to lubricate the blades.

It's a complete bunch of arse and they're just trying to rip you off. Clipper oil is exactly the same as sewing machine oil which you can buy for a fraction of the price.