• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Smithy

Bloody awful weather here at the moment, it's crazy warm for this time of year, around 5 today which is just stupid because it means no snow which is what we need because it lightens everything up. Sunset is around 1300 here (and we don't see it anyway because there's mountains to the south) so it's dark most of the day and without snow it's ridiculously dark. With snow everything is lighter, without it, it's just bloody dark.

To add to that we had gale force winds and 80mm of rain. I am only wearing a parka and I can't see that changing any time soon as there's gales and storms forecast for tomorrow and the weekend.

No photo as there's no point, it's just too damn dark.

B-Man2

Bloody awful weather here at the moment, it's crazy warm for this time of year, around 5 today which is just stupid because it means no snow which is what we need because it lightens everything up. Sunset is around 1300 here (and we don't see it anyway because there's mountains to the south) so it's dark most of the day and without snow it's ridiculously dark. With snow everything is lighter, without it, it's just bloody dark.

To add to that we had gale force winds and 80mm of rain. I am only wearing a parka and I can't see that changing any time soon as there's gales and storms forecast for tomorrow and the weekend.

No photo as there's no point, it's just too damn dark.
Tim
Is that German Parka of yours from ATF? , and is it water proof ?

Smithy

Tim
Is that German Parka of yours from ATF? , and is it water proof ?

Yup Burt, mine is the ATF one and it's great, I've worn it in several downpours and it's excellent. it's also hugely accurate. Have a look at this, here's the ATF one...

parka_ms_main.jpg

...and here's an original...

large_000000.jpg

The ATF one is just brilliant and extremely well made, I've had mine for a couple of years and swear by it, it's also extremely like a wartime example.

They are one of the best pieces of WWII kit you can get, the design is wonderful - the front closure is genius, and with drawstrings on the waist and throat, you can see why they were used post-war.

One of the best bits of WWII kit by a long way.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Spot on ....
and water proof as well.
Has the material been treated to be water proof of does it have a waterproof liner like the original USN blue deck jackets . Damn they were just on sale a few months back for cheap money . Should have picked one up.

Smithy

Spot on ....
and water proof as well.
Has the material been treated to be water proof of does it have a waterproof liner like the original USN blue deck jackets . Damn they were just on sale a few months back for cheap money . Should have picked one up.

It's not waterproofed but the weave and heft of the outer material is such that rain tends to bead on it. I've worn mine in proper rain for around half an hour and haven't been wet. This was one of those pieces of kit that the Germans were far ahead of us with, just a great outdoor parka.

B-Man2

Burt, just thought I'd also add that the difference in the camouflage on the ATF and the original one is the pattern. The ATF is the later Sumpfmuster pattern, the original one above is the original earlier Sumpfmuster camouflage.
I read the ATF website about them . The ATF ones are made with fleece liners unlike the originals. Does yours have the fleece liner and if so ... your thoughts on it.
Thanks

CBI

these ARE great. I have the same but by SM Wholesale. I also had an ATF one and was able to do a side by side. The SMW is REALLY heavy, like originals. The ATF with the fleece was much more practical. I lost weight afterI I bought mine and tried to sell it a number of times with no luck. its a 46 for sure.

B-Man2

these ARE great. I have the same but by SM Wholesale. I also had an ATF one and was able to do a side by side. The SMW is REALLY heavy, like originals. The ATF with the fleece was much more practical. I lost weight afterI I bought mine and tried to sell it a number of times with no luck. its a 46 for sure.
John
Sent you a PM

Smithy

I read the ATF website about them . The ATF ones are made with fleece liners unlike the originals. Does yours have the fleece liner and if so ... your thoughts on it.
Thanks

Yup the ATF is insulated with fleece and like CBI says they're slightly lighter than originals. In terms of warmth I find it very adequate and like Rollin says it's possibly better than the originals. I use mine often with thermals and a wool jumper and it's toasty. When it's crazy cold I tend to use a modern Canada Goose.

The detailing on these is brilliant and they're beautifully made. Just a great, practical coat.

Smithy

Also Burt, I've just come in from outside doing a few things and taking a walk wearing it. Currently light snow, 0 but with gale force winds so effective temperature is -14. I only had on a t-shirt, a jumper and the parka and was completely comfortable. With thermals, a wool shirt and jumper you can wear them in very, very cold conditions.

Smithy

Very, very good Tim. Can’t compare with ATF as not handled that one myself. Heavy though as lined with wool blanket like originals.
Dave

Good to know Dave although I think if I ever have to get another one I'll probably stick with ATF. One of the things I love about them is that they're built like a brick shithouse so I can use it when we go up into the mountains or to do work outside when the weather's terrible.

Maybe I've just been lucky but all my ATF stuff has been made tough so it feels like army surplus gear rather than "cosplay" like some repro gear can feel like.