• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

ties70

FS Doniger
J.Crew Workshirt
Gap Selvage
RW Iron Ranger

Flightengineer

Dimitry
What about another 5th Air Force Patch ??

Burt, I meant chest patch :)

It has painted sleeve USAF logo as in the original,cause this BR is an exact repro of the Monarch.

I saw only blue B-15C versions with a squadron patch on the chest (Mosquito, etc.), not green (If someone has info or a historycal photo I'll be grateful).

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Buzz Rickson do plenty of patched versions of their jackets. Any jacket with multiple BR numbers in the pocket has a version for each number.

Imuricecreamman

Amazing grain on this Cooper! The leather looks great - like it's not goatskin. Once upon a time, like as maybe many others here, I had the same Cooper and the leather was smooth, without grain.
Yes, for the money I paid for it, it's a cool jacket. I've always been partial to jackets with interesting grain and this one has it in spades.

Smithy

Amazing grain on this Cooper! The leather looks great - like it's not goatskin. Once upon a time, like as maybe many others here, I had the same Cooper and the leather was smooth, without grain.

The thing is that a lot of chrome tanned goat skin can take a bit of time for the grain to really pop and often times not as quickly as something like horse or steer/cow. But with a bit of patience and wear goat can end up looking amazing.

I've posted this before but case in point being Mike's private purchase A-2 from the 1940s. It's goat and some of the best leather you'll ever see, and that's including everything, horsehide, steerhide, kangaroo, unicorn, etc, etc.

Sorry the pic is tiny but Photofucket seems to have yet again buggered things up for images on the internet, and I had to use the tiny preview pic from Google.

bcpZmld.png

Technonut2112

Caught a nice morning in the lower 50's F today. Wearing my recently acquired Swedish capeskin flight jacket. This jacket was made in the mid-late 1930's by a maker who I found to have made other aviation leather garments, and is in great wearable condition for it's age. The jacket has 2 piece sleeves / 1 piece back, and retains it's original knits and Lightning zipper. The sleeves are rotated at least 3 inches from the side seam, which is more than I've seen on most other jackets, and makes for comfortable movement:

DSCF0814.JPG

DSCF0817.JPG

Technonut2112

Swedish Capeskin?? ........ Are you foolin with us Techno?? :D :D;)

The jacket is capeskin, and was made in Sweden.... From my other post researching the Lightning zipper on the jacket:

The jacket was made in the Malung region of Sweden, which was well-known for it's production of leather jackets and other leather goods.

EDIT: As a vintage leather jacket enthusiast I found it fascinating that there was an entire region in Sweden devoted to manufacturing high-quality leather garments / goods. There were many various makers there ranging from small to larger businesses that were extremely active in producing leather jackets for aviation, motorsports, etc.. Other leather garments and goods were also specialized in / produced as well, such as footwear, gloves, caps, etc... I'm very pleased to have found a relic of the past from there in wearable condition.. :)

Last edited:

Flightengineer

The thing is that a lot of chrome tanned goat skin can take a bit of time for the grain to really pop and often times not as quickly as something like horse or steer/cow. But with a bit of patience and wear goat can end up looking amazing.

I've posted this before but case in point being Mike's private purchase A-2 from the 1940s. It's goat and some of the best leather you'll ever see, and that's including everything, horsehide, steerhide, kangaroo, unicorn, etc, etc.

Sorry the pic is tiny but Photofucket seems to have yet again buggered things up for images on the internet, and I had to use the tiny preview pic from Google.

bcpZmld.png

Thank you Tim, this is informative.
But I really have not seen any Cooper with such a grain. They all looked the same, including the one I had. I sold it.