• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Nickb123

Aero 42 A-2.

485E3C39-2050-4F4C-B428-B21F45193C6D.jpeg

Nickb123

Nick,
Looks great, but with the shirt tail out and the jacket not zipped can't see the fit.

Brian

Sorry for the awful background! It's a little large; balloonish in the back synonymous with this Aero repro, but I knew that going into it; all in all quite satisfied. It's a 44 when in reality, I am a wartime 42. But my preferences are a bit quirky. ;) This Vicenza leather is the nicest batch I've encountered. Helps that the prior owner actually wore it lol.
5AEE3255-CD15-44E2-A2F3-768F0467FC7F.jpeg

Obscurator

Well said Rutger. As you say, discussed many times before.

Most folk you meet don’t know the meaning of these items and of those that do they know there’s no malintent or pretending going off. Did people really think the Beatles were in the military when they wore military style uniforms on a record sleeve? Do people really think you’re impersonating or being disrespectful when you wear a B-15c (mod.) as above, with a pair of LVC’s and red wings? Of course not.

We can either keep those items alive or let them die.

A bit of an aside, but, like the Beatles, in the Swinging Sixties I, and many others, went to the Kings Road and bought army surplus Guardsmens' red tunics, and other full dress "clobber". A few still had rank badges, and the word was that you could be arrested for impersonation, though I don't think there were too many serving soldiers with beards, waist length hair and sandals.

I have, on occasion, been to things like the Armistice Day parades and seen people wearing decorations that I know right well they were not entitled to. Other people knew this too, and the offender usually desisted after a quiet word.

stanier

I have, on occasion, been to things like the Armistice Day parades and seen people wearing decorations that I know right well they were not entitled to. Other people knew this too, and the offender usually desisted after a quiet word.

Now that is a completely different matter. I live in an area with quite a significant military presence and Remembrance Sunday in particular is a very significant event. I’ve heard tell of such things, but not witnessed myself. However, as well as being completely and crassly disrespectful and shameful you’d also have to have some sort of disorder to do that I think.

Wearing a flying jacket like Rutger’s is not in the same league at all and I’ve had many conversations with service people who’ve always been interested, some very, and never shown the slightest concern in my humble experience.

Obscurator

Now that is a completely different matter. I live in an area with quite a significant military presence and Remembrance Sunday in particular is a very significant event. I’ve heard tell of such things, but not witnessed myself. However, as well as being completely and crassly disrespectful and shameful you’d also have to have some sort of disorder to do that I think.

Wearing a flying jacket like Rutger’s is not in the same league at all and I’ve had many conversations with service people who’ve always been interested, some very, and never shown the slightest concern in my humble experience.
Such people usually weren't entirely "with it", in various ways.

Personally, I prefer "plain" clothes, and the most I have on any of my jackets, cloth or leather, is the USAAF roundel decal, and that's because it was there when I got it and it's too difficult to remove. The occasional arrangement where a jacket front and arms have disappeared in a sea of contradictory patches, and the back under nose art, isn't to my liking, but people can wear what they want. I'm quite a believer in the "judge not, lest ye be judged" concept. I get the usual "Biggles" comments from some people when the weather brings out the D-1 or B-3, but I often have the last laugh, as they're blue with cold, and I'm not.

Obscurator

I think it looks fine. I am not a fan of the ‘trim military fit’ which to me looks too tight.
You and me, both.

I'm afraid the chances of me wearing anything with a trim fit, military or otherwise, disappeared about 2 months after I gave up smoking; thereby losing the figure and weight I had at 21 and maintained for more than 30 years.

Greg Gale

Getting a tad warmer (3-4 degrees C), so wearing my MA-1 these days. I'm so itching to wear leather again, how much warmer should it be to get away with a G-1 with a thick sweater underneath? What do you think?

Earloffunk

Getting a tad warmer (3-4 degrees C), so wearing my MA-1 these days. I'm so itching to wear leather again, how much warmer should it be to get away with a G-1 with a thick sweater underneath? What do you think?

Go for it! Been wearing leather during the last few days in temperatures like the ones you mention. With a sweater and a scarf it´s just fine.

Smithy

In those sorts of temps I could easily wear an A-2 and a jumper, so long as it wasn't blowing a gale.

Still too cold for flying jackets here if you're outside for any length of time. The Irvin might get a look in later on going to and from the car.

Obscurator

Unsettled weather in East Anglia. Cold, frosty but no snow to speak of over the last week, so it was a couple of days of D-1, one of B-3, then back to BR ST B-10. Today it's much warmer but p*****g down, so it's a Good Wear 1939 Werber A-2 in russet HH.