• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Brent

thumbnail_20190130_161050.jpg

I really thought there would be more today with the polar vortex ripping through the US. Anyway taking the dogs out, BR N-2 seen before but with the Houston L-2 underneath, heavy flannel underneath and thermals underneath. How cold here? -2 F wind chill - 20 F / -18 C
wind chill -28 C. So I'm still thinking why I didn't move on that beautiful B3 that Carl wants me to have.o_O

Regards,

Last edited:

tibor

Chilly here too... our house thermometer read -28 F when I got up this morning. :confused: Wearing everything at once

bfd70

^right there with you neighbor. Even too cold for an Anj. Have faith knowing we’ll be in bermuda shirts by Monday.

B-Man2

Aero Barnstormer today. It really is one of my favourite jackets/coats and very practical especially if the weather is a bit iffy.

Old photo but I didn't get time to take a snap of it today:

nGKYcN1.jpg
Tim
I know this is an old post but is your Barnstormer cow hide or horse?
Checking one out and was looking for a recommendation.
Thanks

Smithy

Tim
I know this is an old post but is your Barnstormer cow hide or horse?
Checking one out and was looking for a recommendation.
Thanks

Mine is front quarter horsehide (FQHH) and has the cotton drill lining Burt.

The Barnstormer is a cracking jacket/coat and the great thing is you can remove the belt so you can wear it with or without it which completely changes the feel of the coat. They obviously have a very early aviation/motoring look to them which I really like and as a coat are extremely versatile and practical. But the best thing is that my wife says it's the most "dashing" jacket I have which I take to be quite a compliment!

B-Man2

Mine is front quarter horsehide (FQHH) and has the cotton drill lining Burt.

The Barnstormer is a cracking jacket/coat and the great thing is you can remove the belt so you can wear it with or without it which completely changes the feel of the coat. They obviously have a very early aviation/motoring look to them which I really like and as a coat are extremely versatile and practical. But the best thing is that my wife says it's the most "dashing" jacket I have which I take to be quite a compliment!
Thanks Tim !
What do you think of a cow hide one ?

Smithy

Thanks Tim !
What do you think of a cow hide one ?

I believe that the Horween heavy horse and cow hides that Aero use are pretty similar Burt. If it was me I wouldn't be too fussed. If you can get it for a good price and the measurements look good go for it I say.

BTW and whilst I remember it, the Barnstormer is sized about one size larger than normal, so a 40 fits like a 42 but that's a good thing as these were essentially overcoats and you want to be able to wear it over a heavy jumper.

B-Man2

I believe that the Horween heavy horse and cow hides that Aero use are pretty similar Burt. If it was me I wouldn't be too fussed. If you can get it for a good price and the measurements look good go for it I say.

BTW and whilst I remember it, the Barnstormer is sized about one size larger than normal, so a 40 fits like a 42 but that's a good thing as these were essentially overcoats and you want to be able to wear it over a heavy jumper.
Thanks again Tim!
Just popped for a “like new” used one in black at a pretty good price. $300. US.
I’ll post some pics when it gets here.:)

Smithy

Thanks again Tim!
Just popped for a “like new” used one in black at a pretty good price. $300. US.
I’ll post some pics when it gets here.:)

Just watch out Burt, a dashing Barnstormer and you might grow a moustache and make entrances like this...

D97x7

The steer is definitely heavier than the horse, I have a Cheyenne made from it that's an absolute beast, I love it. The steer also seems to develop more grain than the FQHH, I was thinking about a Barnstormer in cordovan steer, just don't think I could pull it off.

s4rmark

Only, 0 degrees here today but a bitter wind chill. So it’s out with the “Beast” (ELC Perry B-3) later today for an afternoon walk with the mini Beast.

bfd70

Eastman looks great tjoenn.
Would you be willing to comment on the jacket size and your chest size. I’m considering an Eastman and it looks like you’ve nailed the fit.

Last edited:

Griffon_301

By coincidence I am also working today and chose the ELC RW B-6 too....great jacket for the warmer spell we are enjoying currently :)

bfd70

I have read that you should size the B6 at least one size over your actual chest measurement. My D1 is sized one above my chest but almost feels too big. I realize they are not meant to be trim. However my D1 fits best with my heaviest sweater under. With a thin shirt when the weather is warmer it is quite blousey. Perhaps you just can’t have it both ways. Any input is appreciated.

Griffon_301

I wear a 46 and for me it's a perfect fit...I intended to wear the jacket in the warmer parts of the fall and winter season with the Irvin, the N-3 parka and the B-3 reserved for really cold weather. I also own (ongst a few others) a G1 that is size 46 and a B-15a that's also size 46 and both fit just as nice...

I have worn the B-6 with everything underneath from T-Shirts to warm knit pullovers and in temperatures from plus 10 down to minus 10 and just love it...it's a very comfortable jacket and adaptable to most sorts of weather we encounter here in Vienna...

So IMHO you can stay with your usual jacket size and be just fine with the B-6...you will not regret buying one :)

tjoenn

My chest size is 40 and the jacket is also a 40. I normally wear it with just a shirt under, but I can fit a wool sweater under as well. I probably wear this jacket 80% in winter as temps here are normally -2/3C to +5C. When it's colder, my B-3 comes out. I only wish the sleeves were 1/2 inch longer, but that's just me being picky.

bfd70

Thanks for the replies. I’m keeping my eyes peeled in the classifieds and the other usual spots hoping to score a good deal om a lightly used model. If i go new i would opt for the long version to get the sleeves to the ideal spot.