• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Micawber

Would a leather trimmed Schoffel fleece this morning or a 22 year old ratty leather trimmed tweed Beaver shooting coat this afternoon count?

No?

....I'll get me coat.....;):D

Rutger

BR B-15C(mod) all the time in almost freezing temps, occasional wet and dry snow.
tof_5808350d0db78.jpg

LJDRVR

This won't be a popular question, especially from somebody new to the board, but why are you guys wearing military rank and wings you never earned? Young men and women have died trying to earn those little symbols. When you put them on, you've stolen their valor and hard work, appropriating it for yourself without ever having done the hard work and lived through the danger.

Discuss.

Geeboo

Why are the Japanese, Chinese, Australian, Indian, British, German wearing US issued military Jackets where no one had been served in US military ? It takes risks & lives to be a soldier. Discuss

LJDRVR

That's a red herring. Nobody went through a year long training course to earn a field jacket or a pair of khaki pants. But some young man or woman worked awfully hard to walk across that stage and receive their wings.

Care to take a stab at answering my question? Why is it OK for someone to wear a military rank insignia or wings they never earned?

jeremiah

The way I look at it, it has more to do with the intent. I doubt anyone here wears with intent of impersonating or pretending. They wear it to honor those who fought for the freedom to display those patches and insignia.

My dad served in WWII. I don’t have much of his stuff but I have a personal connection with someone who bled for our country and I sure would wear anything he had with pride.

At the end of the day though, might not be any reason that would please you so at that point it might be one of those agree to disagree times?

Last edited:

taikonaut

To put it impolitely these are defunct military of yester years. Maybe not for everyone but for the average Joes they are just fashion statement. Think of cosplay, Indiana Jones, etc, comes to mind.
Did you know there are some people even westerners living a Samurai lifestyle but they will never commit Seppuku.

B-Man2

LJDRVR
I think that your question makes a good point and I’d be happy to try and address it. I honestly don’t think that anyone on this forum intentionally attempts to steal militarily earned valor. We’ve discussed this subject several times prior to your arrival here and 95 percent of us are in agreement, that wearing a units insignia as a tribute to those men who fought and died under the banner of that unit was our way of acknowledging their dedication and in many cases their eternal sacrifices. Much in the same manner that people wear soccer jerseys with players names or nascar jerseys with car numbers. No one participated in those events but we wear those items to honor, respect and identify with those who did.
On the other hand however,most of us here agreed that the wearing of rank was not appropriate and bordered on crossing that imaginary line of being an imposter or as you say stealing valor and authority we didn’t earn. I’d like to think that this group knows and respects the difference between those two positions . Did I answer your question or is there a follow up?
Cheers
B-Man2

Last edited:

taikonaut

At our local snooker club we use to have a WW2 veteran who took part in the bombing over Berlin. He is one cheeky bugger and very likeable though he did got banned once or twice from playing for messing about. Anyway I wore my Cold War era badged up Soviet military ushanka hat when I attended some of the matches and this old vet was so keen and ask could he have it to wear:D

Last edited:

Rutger

This has been discussed a thousand time before. Do a decent forum search and all view points can be found.
It boils down to the fact that no one wearing these jackets with insignia is wearing them as a wannabe or a pretender, they just wear them because they like them for their looks, because of the history that comes with them, and for their practicality.
I wear the jacket. Not the coveralls, the helmet, the G-suit and the boots.

stanier

This has been discussed a thousand time before. Do a decent forum search and all view points can be found.
It boils down to the fact that no one wearing these jackets with insignia is wearing them as a wannabe or a pretender, they just wear them because they like them for their looks, because of the history that comes with them, and for their practicality.
I wear the jacket. Not the coveralls, the helmet, the G-suit and the boots.

Well said Rutger. As you say, discussed many times before.

Most folk you meet don’t know the meaning of these items and of those that do they know there’s no malintent or pretending going off. Did people really think the Beatles were in the military when they wore military style uniforms on a record sleeve? Do people really think you’re impersonating or being disrespectful when you wear a B-15c (mod.) as above, with a pair of LVC’s and red wings? Of course not.

We can either keep those items alive or let them die.

Smithy

I wouldn't wear anything with wings (unless reenacting) or valour awards full stop but that's just me and what I personally feel comfortable with.

What am I wearing at the moment? It's -28 with windchill and my daughter wants to go skiing in a bit so it'll be the submariner jumper and the modern CG parka. Too cold for flying jackets at the moment.

kowalski

This won't be a popular question, especially from somebody new to the board, but why are you guys wearing military rank and wings you never earned? Young men and women have died trying to earn those little symbols. When you put them on, you've stolen their valor and hard work, appropriating it for yourself without ever having done the hard work and lived through the danger.

Discuss.

I will answer with a question ; so that I can collect and hang a paintings on the wall I have to be a painter, a crazy artist ?

A2 B3au

Discuss.
I suppose u have to get crucified to wear a crucafix

LJDRVR

Thanks for the well-reasoned replies, gents - I meant no insult. It's not something that rankles me too much, my time in the USAF was on the enlisted side of things. As an airline pilot that works with them, I can tell you that graduates of UPT or primary flight training do not take the wearing of their wings outside the community lightly.

I was at the museum of flight recently, one of the docents was wearing a G-1 with wings and an A-6 patch.

"Whidby Island?"

I asked. He was confused until I asked him if he had flown Intruders. He then sheepishly admitted he wore the jacket as a tribute to his friend who had. I made him look very silly, like he was a poser.

YMMV.

Now returning your thread to its regularly scheduled program. Here I am getting a Stearman checkout in a Sporty's AN-J-3. (I know, not that great of a repro, but it's both humbling and a ton of fun to get to use it as a flight jacket.) I'm still looking for the perfect G-1/M-422A/AN-J-3 to replace this one with.

Sorry about the pic quality.

View media item 881View media item 880

Last edited: