• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

ZuZu

A wonderful +4c today so I’m in my schott 184 sans fur color and liner
View attachment 102985

I've wanted to get one of these since watching "Archer" Season 9 Danger Isalnd! This is the jacket he wears!

20230321_200157.jpg

Thomas Koehle

To all, especially Erwin and Thomas: This is California,after all: I could do damn-near anything and not be noticed. In England and Europe, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I would be mistaken for anything but a Yank. My face, clothing, posture, and general over-all appearance scream American, even before I open my mouth.
Here, I know what's expected, and what to expect. If I did some things there that are considered 'normal' here, I would not merely be an American, I would be the Ugly American, which I always aim to avoid and which I absolutely hate to see when I'm over there. The under-50 travelers give us all a bad name. 'Amerikanis eunt domus? What's this, then?' 'It says Americans go home'. 'No it doesn't...' 'Goes like...' 'Now write it a hundred times before dawn or I'll cut your balls off.'
Aber jetzt, a question für unsere Freunde, do you think the average German would find this A-2 patch generisch und unauffällig oder beleidigend?
Erwin, I'm a Calfornia American, you can never be too direct. Auch, as a lawyer, I'm not easily offended, and I prefer clarity over consensus.
I asked because I'm interested in the differences of opinion based on one's homeland. It's always easier to avoid trouble than to get out of trouble. Also spracht Mark Twain.
Cheers,
John

View attachment 102977
John,

if you'd wear your A2 with that nice patch people might think you're a gambling-addict ... - so "no Way" ...

As for Germans you can't be too direct - working in South Carolina for almost a year my workmates always claimed i would be much too direct and the German language itself would always sound like people are swearing all day long ...

Well despite the fact that the average american i met (at least in SC) added the "F...-word" to 50% of their sentences and the "sh...-word" to the remaining 50% of their spoken words Germany is rather more cultivated.

We use "Schei..." and the other thingis in only about 30% of our text ...

:)

Hope everyone understands i'm just joking ... - just so noone feels offended

Pa12

John,

if you'd wear your A2 with that nice patch people might think you're a gambling-addict ... - so "no Way" ...

As for Germans you can't be too direct - working in South Carolina for almost a year my workmates always claimed i would be much too direct and the German language itself would always sound like people are swearing all day long ...

Well despite the fact that the average american i met (at least in SC) added the "F...-word" to 50% of their sentences and the "sh...-word" to the remaining 50% of their spoken words Germany is rather more cultivated.

Fuckin A bubba :D:D:D:D

Dany McDonald

Ignoring the snow day before yesterday i took a spin on my 50cc VESPA wearing my "50CAL" ELC B3 along with CARHARRT double knees and my MEINDL hunting/trekking boots

Thomas, love the Crown zip on that nice B-3, and can see some real graining.

That B-3 collar seems to restrict your head movement a lot with the helmet! Would drive me nuts...

D

Thomas Koehle

Thomas, love the Crown zip on that nice B-3, and can see some real graining.

That B-3 collar seems to restrict your head movement a lot with the helmet! Would drive me nuts...

D
actually it is like you just described - drives me crazy each and every time i wear that combo - would be even worse if i'd wear a fullface ...

Dany McDonald

drives me crazy each and every time i wear that combo - would be even worse if i'd wear a fullface ...

The way fur collars interreact with the base of helmets can be very annoying, event a B-15's collar, being smaller in shape can prevent full movement, I know it keeps me from wearing mine over long rides.

I event thing that the MOD B-15's were in part related to this fact, and the inflammable factor too. Wonder if a better knowledge member can input on this.

@B-Man2 , what do you think about this, being a biker yourself?

D

Pa12

The way fur collars interreact with the base of helmets can be very annoying, event a B-15's collar, being smaller in shape can prevent full movement, I know it keeps me from wearing mine over long rides.

I event thing that the MOD B-15's were in part related to this fact, and the inflammable factor too. Wonder if a better knowledge member can input on this.

@B-Man2 , what do you think about this, being a biker yourself?

D
My thought is the jackets were made when leather helmets were used. Have you tried wearing a half helmet?

Dany McDonald

My thought is the jackets were made when leather helmets were used. Have you tried wearing a half helmet?

Yes, up until the late 40's then the new types of flight helmets (type PA1 for example) were assigned. Leather helmets were totally in phase with the fur jacket collars, you had to be able to move your head in any direction in a bomber or fighter in WW2 all the time.

Its the back base of the helmet that cause the problem, full of half in my case.

D

Dany McDonald

Even my A-2 was a pain on the bike. The collar would hike up and back. Every time I turned my head it would rip out some beard hair on the wind flap closure. I suspect this is why motorcycle racing jackets have a mandarin collar.

Same here, beard used to get caught on the collar hook. But I got used with the base of the helmet rubbing against the collar.

Guess there's a reason for a proper biker jacket, like a banded collar and zippers and belts that actually prevent air from ballooning the jacket at high speed. A-2's are cool but not always prescribe for riding!

D

Pa12

Same here, beard used to get caught on the collar hook. But I got used with the base of the helmet rubbing against the collar.

Guess there's a reason for a proper biker jacket, like a banded collar and zippers and belts that actually prevent air from ballooning the jacket at high speed. A-2's are cool but not always prescribe for riding!

D
Can’t beat the cool factor though. That’s how it all started.

Chandler

i used two apps color pop and Snapseed, let’s you take a regular photo
And have fun with it, I did this a little earlier , the recipe is shot on my iPhone
Then Snapseed to punch up the hdr and detail, then color pop to
Only have the robot colored then Snapseed for a touch more hdr and detail
View attachment 103025
What, the robot isn't carrying a coffee? :D

John Luder

John,

Interesting thought about a gambling addict. OK, so I'll save it for Monte Carlo.